Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

OTHER-IN-LAW!!!! That's IT !!! Thanks so much, its been driving me bonkers all day. I remembered it was an odd username, kept trying to come up with all the odd usernames I've seen. Kissyfur? Nope. FussyButt? Nope. Strangler? Un-uh. GotRocks, MouseLegs, BrotherFK, AtomicZ, ShitForBrains, Machocist, , no, no, nada. Other-In-Law! Thanks so much, I may actually be able to sleep tonight.

BTW, no clue why the Stranger is a lizard. I love those maps! The work that went into them is...boggling.

Thank you again, all.

If you search google images for "other in law westeros map" there are smaller individual ones as well. I like those too. :)

yeah i meant dayne sorry haha, storm was at dragonstone forever.

see im thinking, this is a subject mentioned a few times, and every single time it gets brushed off, much like daenerys was tot he small council, and the others from the wall.

this has to be bigger than the little evidence we have. the six claimants perhaps not, but id put bronn there.

the ward though is whats getting me, awoiaf doesnt give us much, but at the same time im thinking "it's gotta be someone we've met already, someone that has a name, but has been brushed aside."

edric dayne comes to mind, no one knows where he came from or where he goes after that arya chapter.

Edric Dayne is the heir (or is it Lord?) of Starfall, which is a rather more impressive title than Lord of Rosby, so I would imagine its not him. If you try the search function, you will turn up a few ideas. One that I seem to remember is Olyvar Frey, Roslyn Frey's brother who was absent from the red wedding

No specific claims for Rosby have been mentioned, besides the Stokeworths. So Lollys certainly has a claim, since her mother was an aunt to Rosby's second wife, and a third cousin to Rosby himself.

It is interesting to note, however, that the maester of Rosby is a bastard son of Walder Frey.

The unnamed ward would most likely have put forward a claim as well, though we do not yet know who he is.

The Daynes have no known connection to Rosby.

Since their mother was a Rosby, Perwyn, Olyvar and Roslin Frey would have a claim as well (Perwyn before Olyvar, Olyvar before Roslin). We don't know however how distant a cousin Bethany Rosby was, perhaps she was more distand that Tanda, which would give Lollys a better claim to the lands. But the Frey's having been one of those six claims is rather likely.

That brings the total of explained claims to 3.

Edric Dayne is the heir (or is it Lord?) of Starfall, which is a rather more impressive title than Lord of Rosby, so I would imagine its not him. If you try the search function, you will turn up a few ideas. One that I seem to remember is Olyvar Frey, Roslyn Frey's brother who was absent from the red wedding

Edric would be the Lord of Starfall. But last we heard he was still a member of the BWB, an outlaw band, so his status is a little up in the air, no?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

I've been wondering for a while, is it possible for more than one person to bond with and ride a dragon at the same time? For example, Joffrey Velaryon died attempting to ride his mother's dragon. Was that an exception to the rule? Or will dragons generally not allow anyone to ride them if they already have a dragonrider? Say, Aegon the Conqueror was bonded with Balerion and later his son Maegor, but could Maegor have ridden Balerion while his father was still alive?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

I've been wondering for a while, is it possible for more than one person to bond with and ride a dragon at the same time? For example, Joffrey Velaryon died attempting to ride his mother's dragon. Was that an exception to the rule? Or will dragons generally not allow anyone to ride them if they already have a dragonrider? Say, Aegon the Conqueror was bonded with Balerion and later his son Maegor, but could Maegor have ridden Balerion while his father was still alive?

For as far as is known, one person can only bond with one dragon, and it's not possible for two people to bond with the same dragon at the same time. It does seem to be the case that if the dragon dies, but the rider lives on, the rider can bond with another dragon.

As example: Joffrey Velaryon had bonded with his own dragon, and was thus unable to bond with Syrax, who above all, already had a rider of her own.

Viserys Targaryen, however, was the rider of dragon Balerion. Balerion died before 101AC, however, and Viserys kept on living. Textual evidence suggests that Viserys could have tried to bond with another dragon, but chose not to do so.

Your specific question: no, Maegor could not have bonded with Balerion while Aegon was still alive. That's why Maegor didn't bond with any dragon at all in his youth. He thought none were worthy, and was actually waiting for his father to die so he could bond with Balerion, the only dragon good enough in his opinion.

Edric would be the Lord of Starfall. But last we heard he was still a member of the BWB, an outlaw band, so his status is a little up in the air, no?

Minor nitpick: the app confirmed the suspicion that he has left the BwB (we don't see him with them from Lady Stoneheart's rise on)

Following the final death of Beric Dondarrion and the annexing of the company by Lady Stoneheart, Edric and several other members of the brotherhood who do not hold with her ways part from the company.

His current whereabouts are unknown.

Speaking of little Ned's Lordship, I always found it odd that the issue of inheritance of the highborn BwB members' lands was never raised. Ned could get a pardon as he was very young and, after all, he was doing his duty as Beric's squire.

Having the Lord Dondarrion turn outlaw leader seems like a wonderful opportunity to make the claims of any of his kin invalid, and seize Blackhacen and its lands for themselves, or give them away as some political move, however. I just don't understand how our power hungry little lions could overlook this...

(Unless they didn't, and the matter was settled off-page, of course)

Minor nitpick: the app confirmed the suspicion that he has left the BwB (we don't see him with them from Lady Stoneheart's rise on)

His current whereabouts are unknown.

Speaking of little Ned's Lordship, I always found it odd that the issue of inheritance of the highborn BwB members' lands was never raised. Ned could get a pardon as he was very young and, after all, he was doing his duty as Beric's squire.

Having the Lord Dondarrion turn outlaw leader seems like a wonderful opportunity to make the claims of any of his kin invalid, and seize Blackhacen and its lands for themselves, or give them away as some political move, however. I just don't understand how our power hungry little lions could overlook this...

(Unless they didn't, and the matter was settled off-page, of course)

You are a good person. Thanks very much for quoting the app. The actual canon doesn't go this far and since I don't have the app I always wondered why people suggested little Ned's departure from the BWB was a given. Something good is going to happen in your life today.

You are a good person. Thanks very much for quoting the app. The actual canon doesn't go this far and since I don't have the app I always wondered why people suggested little Ned's departure from the BWB was a given. Something good is going to happen in your life today.

Thank you, ser. Glad I could help. :)

Is there any speculation as to who the Frey Knight was at the Tourney at Harrenhal? I have a feeling it may have been Hosteen. Is that wrong?

No speculation that I know of. There are multiple possibilities:

Stevron

Ryman

Aenys

Jared

Hosteen

Symond

Danwell

Geremy

Raymund

Frey's whose age would be right but of who it isn't known if they are knighted:

Edwyn

Emmon

Cleos

Rhaegar

Frey's who might just had reached the age limit (15) of becomming a knight at the time of the Tourney:

Jammos

As you see, Hosteen is a possibility. But we don't know enough to know which of these Frey's was actually the one.

Can someone quote an entry for Selmy in White Book. I found something odd in there, but could be translation mistake.

“Ser Barristan of House Selmy. Firstborn son of Ser Lyonel Selmy of Harvest Hall. Served as squire to Ser Manfred Swann. Named “the Bold” in his 10th year, when he donned borrowed armor to appear as a mystery knight in the tourney at Blackhaven, where he was defeated and unmasked by Duncan, Prince of Dragonflies. Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King’s Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Slew Maelys the Monstrous, last of the Blackfyre Pretenders, in single combat during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. Defeated Lormelle Long Lance and Cedrik Storm, the Bastard of Bronzegate. Named to the Kingsguard in his 23rd year, by Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower. Defended the passage against all challengers in the tourney of the Silver Bridge. Victor in the mêlée at Maidenpool. Brought King Aerys II to safety during the Defiance of Duskendale, despite an arrow wound in the chest. Avenged the murder of his Sworn Brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt. Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former. In the Oldtown tourney, defeated and unmasked the mystery knight Blackshield, revealing him as the Bastard of Uplands. Sole champion of Lord Steffon’s tourney at Storm’s End, whereat he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone. Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon. Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert. Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy’s Rebellion. Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year. Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.”

Yeah it's mentioned in the report of the reading on Aegon's Conquest:

The Targaryens ruled Dragonstone for the next 100 years, which were called the Years of Blood.. 4 of the dragons died on Dragonstone leaving only Balerion. However two eggs hatched and Vhagar and Meraxes were born. "Gaimon" the Glorious ruled after Aenar and was followed by Maegon, his brother Aerys, and Aerys's sons Aelyx, Baelon, and Daemion. In 27 BC, Aegon the Conqueror was born to Lord Aerion Targaryen, the son of Daemion, and Lady Valaena of House Velaryon

Not sure if it counts as a small question, but what is the GNC?

Ive seen people reference it to everything from the Northern Lords wanting to let the Bolton/Freys and Stannis duke it out and weaken each other while they wait to crown Rickon and/or Jon all the way to something that Rickard and Brandon could have been involved in.

Are there threads that explain it?

Not sure if it counts as a small question, but what is the GNC?

Ive seen people reference it to everything from the Northern Lords wanting to let the Bolton/Freys and Stannis duke it out and weaken each other while they wait to crown Rickon and/or Jon all the way to something that Rickard and Brandon could have been involved in.

Are there threads that explain it?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99911-a-northern-conspiracy-of-grand-proportions-part-v/

Here. Links to previous versions are in the second post :)

Arya squirmed through the press, ducking between the legs of horses and clutching tight to her sword stick. From the middle of the crowd, all she could see were arms and legs and stomachs, and the seven slender towers of the sept looming overhead. She spotted a wood wagon and thought to climb up on the back where she might be able to see, but others had the same idea. The teamster cursed at them and drove them off with a crack of his whip.

Was this Yoren's wagon?

Archived