Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

I think areyougonnakill confused Stevron with Ryman Frey who was hanged by the Brotherhood. I imagine Lost Melnibonean's idea comes from the fact that Stevron's wound was not thought to be life threatening. In which case, its not really a small question because it would be open to interpretation but my gut feeling is he died from his wound

Right. I was wondering if anybody had caught another hint or two that had convinced them. Black Walder was there. And he was apparently pretty badass, scaling the Cragg with the Smalljon.

Right. I was wondering if anybody had caught another hint or two that had convinced them. Black Walder was there. And he was apparently pretty badass, scaling the Cragg with the Smalljon.

Well I understood what you meant, so I suppose it remains a possibility :dunno: Maybe start a thread?

i just finished reading The Mystery Knight

where do I read about what happened in Summerhall? I don't remember it being told in the books but everyone just seems to know it. and yeah its not in the 3 'dunk and egg' stories too

The D&E novella will most likely culminate with the events at Summerhall. What we do know about Summerhall comes from:

Barristan:

“The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father’s wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief.”

Aemon:

“ Rhaegar, I thought... the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. ”

Alester Florent:

“This talk of a stone dragon . . . madness, I tell you, sheer madness. Did we learn nothing from Aerion Brightfire, from the nine mages, from the alchemists? Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons, I told Axell as much.”

The GoHH also mentions gorging on grief at Summerhall as well as referring to Jenny of Oldstones as "my Jenny".

The D&E novella will most likely culminate with the events at Summerhall. What we do know about Summerhall comes from:

Barristan:

“The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father’s wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief.”

Aemon:

“ Rhaegar, I thought... the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. ”

Alester Florent:

“This talk of a stone dragon . . . madness, I tell you, sheer madness. Did we learn nothing from Aerion Brightfire, from the nine mages, from the alchemists? Did we learn nothing from Summerhall? No good has ever come from these dreams of dragons, I told Axell as much.”

The GoHH also mentions gorging on grief at Summerhall as well as referring to Jenny of Oldstones as "my Jenny".

thank you so much for this. yea it was all mentioned in the books, i just didn't piece them all together. all makes sense now.

daaamnnn i liked dunk and egg so much. feels really sad now. i heard that egg was trying to hatch dragons and were becoming obsessed?

ser duncan should have given him a clout in the ear

thank you so much for this. yea it was all mentioned in the books, i just didn't piece them all together. all makes sense now.

daaamnnn i liked dunk and egg so much. feels really sad now. i heard that egg was trying to hatch dragons and were becoming obsessed?

Don't let it bother you--valar morghulis.

Seeing as how Duncan almost lost a hand and a foot once for striking a Prince, I doubt he'd try it again on a King :)

But yeah, a clout really is something Egg could have needed, if it was his obsession with hatching eggs (or just one egg) that caused Summerhall to happen.

i just finished reading The Mystery Knight

where do I read about what happened in Summerhall? I don't remember it being told in the books but everyone just seems to know it. and yeah its not in the 3 'dunk and egg' stories too

First, congrats, those novellas are my favorites. Second we may have a long way to go before we find out the particulars of Summerhall as George hopes to write eight or nine more, covering everything up to the end of their lives. Also I have to ask:

Mystery Knight Spoiler:

Did you figure out who Maynard Plumm is?

Also I would like to personally thank anyone and everyone who pitched in to the fundraiser. For the first time in three seasons I am able to log into the forums even on show night, that's never happened before so Thanx! :D

When winter comes does the sun disappear? Is all winter mini long nights?

As per Old Nan:

“The Others,” Old Nan agreed. “Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks.” Her voice and her needles fell silent, and she glanced up at Bran with pale, filmy eyes and asked, “So, child. This is the sort of story you like?”

Unfortunately we never get to hear the end of that story. But it doesn't say that it happens every winter, at least not that I can find.

As per Old Nan:

Unfortunately we never get to hear the end of that story. But it doesn't say that it happens every winter, at least not that I can find.

There's a reason we never hear the end of that story...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/90950-the-last-hero-tale-by-old-nan-foreshadows-the-deaths-of/?p=4614348

As per Old Nan:

But surely the point is that must have been the time when The Great Other gained ascendancy over R'hillor, and therefore brought on the night without end. The only way it ended was with the coming of Azor Ahai defeating the Great Other with Lightbringer. As far as I know that is the only time there has been only dark, and realistically speaking, every living thing on the planet should have died, but they didn't, so the endless night area must stop somewhere.

The rest of the time winter seems to be like winter in the north on Earth, where even though there is very little light for a short time, there is always some light except for the very farthest northern areas. Even Iqaluit in the far north of Canada gets 4 hours of sun in deepest winter, you need to be north of the Arctic Circle to get down to four months of dark, which I would say was like areas quite far north of the Wall, while in southern Canada you'll have almost 8 hours of light even in December. I base that on the fact that winter rarely gets to the furthest southern areas in Westeros.

ETA: And I will add this is a time in Westeros where history is repeating itself, except that GRRM has said history will not repeat itself exactly, it will be a case of history does not repeat, but it rhymes. I believe I heard George say that in Toronto when he spoke here 2 year ago.

There's a reason we never hear the end of that story...

I am sure that are a couple of reason we only heard part of the story she was telling, mostly that the end would give away too much info.

I don't agree w/ your theory, mostly because I think that the Last Hero in the current story will be Samwell Tarly.

Archived