Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

How old is Ramsay? The only clue I could find is that he was born while Rickard was still the Lord of Winterfell, so that would mean it was before 282. Is there a more specific date?

I've searched all Theon's chapters in Dance, and looked for a mention in Clash, but no where is it stated how old Ramsay is. He was about 12 when Reek was send to him, and Reek was caught several years in a row when he tried to steel parfume from Roose's second wife, but I haven't been able to find an indication when the Ryswell wife died either, as to shorten the timeframe.

Roose is past 40, which would make Ramsay roughly 30 at the maximum, but most likely more closer to twenty. Ramsay was conceived when Roose was already a lord, but we also don't know when that happened, only that he already had been a lord when the Rebellion broke out. No help from that either.

If I had to make an estimation, I'd say Ramsay is in his early to mid 20ties, but I cannot be certain, due to the lack of information.

Roose is past 40, which would make Ramsay roughly 30 at the maximum, but most likely more closer to twenty.

What about Roose himself? When talking about Domeric to Theon, he mentions that "not even Lord Rickard's daughter could outrace him". This seems to indicate that Domeric was close in age to Lyanna, So, if Domeric was born around 270, Roose himself would have to be born in the 250s (conservatively, I'd say 255). Which means he is probably closer to 50 than to 40 years old.

Edit: Actually, he may be even older than that, considering that Domeric's mother was his second wife, and she gave birth to other sons beside him - although we have no way of knowing if any of those sons preceded Domeric.

What about Roose himself? When talking about Domeric to Theon, he mentions that "not even Lord Rickard's daughter could outrace him". This seems to indicate that Domeric was close in age to Lyanna, So, if Domeric was born around 270, Roose himself would have to be born in the 250s (conservatively, I'd say 255). Which means he is probably closer to 50 than to 40 years old.

Edit: Actually, he may be even older than that, considering that Domeric's mother was his second wife, and she gave birth to other sons beside him - although we have no way of knowing if any of those sons preceded Domeric.

About Roose, Theon has this:

Though Roose had been in battles, he bore no scars. Though well past forty, he was as yet unwrinkled, with scarce a line to tell of the passage of time.

About Domeric, he spend 4 years as a page and then went to the Vale for 3 years to be a squire. Then he returned home. That more suggests that when he returned, he was 16 or 17, having been a squire from the age of 13 or 14, and a page from the age of 9 or 10, which seem to be the normal years for highborn boys.

Shortly after returning, Domeric sought out Ramsay, and died because of it. He died in 297 AC, which would place his birth in 279/280 AC, if we take into account that there might have been a year in between Domeric returning and him dying.

The comparison from Lady Dustin between Domeric and Lyanna seems to come more from the fact that Lady Dustin knew Lyanna, and had Domeric living underneath her roof for 4 years. She would have known both of them rather well, and thus could have easily compared them.

I agree about Roose though, he seems to be closer to 50 than 40. For my calculation in the post above, I took his age to have been 45, with him possibly starting to father children from the age of 14/15, giving Ramsay a maximum age.

And a minimum age as well, since Rickard was still a lord, and a year later, Roose was sitting right at home, indicating that Ramsay most likely was born before the Rebellion, placing his birth no later than 282AC.

So between 30 and 20, I'd say.

The comparison from Lady Dustin between Domeric and Lyanna seems to come more from the fact that Lady Dustin knew Lyanna, and had Domeric living underneath her roof for 4 years. She would have known both of them rather well, and thus could have easily compared them.

I thought that comparison comes from Roose, not Lady Dustin?

And it clearly implies that Lyanna and Domeric raced each other.

why are the iron islands allowed thralls when slavery is forbidden in the 7 kingdoms?

Jorah sells men into slavery and Ned wants to execute him for it but the iron born have been doing it for years, presumably they have thralls from the north and west couldn't a lords from both areas unite and liberate there people and crush the Ironborn

I thought that comparison comes from Roose, not Lady Dustin?

And it clearly implies that Lyanna and Domeric raced each other.

[...] Horses ... the boy was mad for horses, Lady Dustin will tell you. Not even Lord Rickard's daughter could outrace him, and that one was half a horse herself. Redfort said he showed great promise in the lists. A great jouster must be a great horseman first."

"Yes, m'lord. Domeric. I ... I have heard his name ..."

ADwD 32 Reek III

It is Roose addressing Theon.

I am not under the impression that it clearly implies they raced each other anymore, although that was what I first assumed it to mean.

Bit of a silly question.

The tips about how to find Ran's posts in the tPatQ thread got me thinking. Now that Ran and Linda are pretty much the Hands of King GRRM, I think several of us information-craving loonies would like to have a convenient way to see all their posts - an easier way to stalk them on here, essentially, yes.

I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with the "dev tracker" function featured on several official video games sites. It's basically a place where all the posts by "official" users (community managers, actual developers, etc.) are gathered, so you can see all of them in one place, and be sure not to miss anything they say.

So, do you guys think such a feature would be a good idea? Has it ever been suggested? And do you think Ran would be comfortable with something like this?

Bit of a silly question.

The tips about how to find Ran's posts in the tPatQ thread got me thinking. Now that Ran and Linda are pretty much the Hands of King GRRM, I think several of us information-craving loonies would like to have a convenient way to see all their posts - an easier way to stalk them on here, essentially, yes.

I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with the "dev tracker" function featured on several official video games sites. It's basically a place where all the posts by "official" users (community managers, actual developers, etc.) are gathered, so you can see all of them in one place, and be sure not to miss anything they say.

So, do you guys think such a feature would be a good idea? Has it ever been suggested? And do you think Ran would be comfortable with something like this?

If you "mouseover" a username on the boards you will see a little "pop-up" window, inside is a link that says "Find Content" that will take you to all of that user's posts and topics. It works for all of us, not just Ran and Linda and the gurus. :)

ADwD 32 Reek III

It is Roose addressing Theon.

I am not under the impression that it clearly implies they raced each other anymore, although that was what I first assumed it to mean.

I agree with this. It's just Roose making a comparison between two people he knew who shared a similar trait.

Domeric was a page in Lady Dustin's household before squiring in the Vale. But remember Lady Dustin did not have a household of her own until after Lyanna's disappearance. Unless he was unusually late in starting the process of paging and squiring, I don't see how he could have been of an age with Lyanna. Also, Barbrey Ryswell herself is of an age with Brandon, Ned and Lyanna. In order for her nephew to also be in that age group, her sister Bethany would have to be many years older than her, a situation that is never noted.

This comes up frequently and I think the general consensus, Roose's comparison notwithstanding, is that Domeric is no more than a few years older than Robb and Jon.

Why was She-Wolves of Winterfell delayed? Was it because of massive spoilers to TWoW or other things not related to the story?

ETA: By the way what Roose said to Theon about the riding skills of Domeric (not even Lord Rickard's daughter could outrace him) is I think a borrowed expression from Lady Dustin, who observed both of them at different times.

Why was She-Wolves of Winterfell delayed? Was it because of massive spoilers to TWoW or other things not related to the story?

ETA: By the way what Roose said to Theon about the riding skills of Domeric (not even Lord Rickard's daughter could outrace him) is I think a borrowed expression from Lady Dustin, who observed both of them at different times.

I think Martin postponed She Wolves until after Winds. Iirc he started writing it, then set it aside to focus on Winds. I dont think he ever finished it so far as we know.

(I have vague memories that maybe he got stumped while writing She Wolves and that was when he set it aside, but ai may be imagining that)

I agree with this. It's just Roose making a comparison between two people he knew who shared a similar trait.

Domeric was a page in Lady Dustin's household before squiring in the Vale. But remember Lady Dustin did not have a household of her own until after Lyanna's disappearance. Unless he was unusually late in starting the process of paging and squiring, I don't see how he could have been of an age with Lyanna. Also, Barbrey Ryswell herself is of an age with Brandon, Ned and Lyanna. In order for her nephew to also be in that age group, her sister Bethany would have to be many years older than her, a situation that is never noted.

This comes up frequently and I think the general consensus, Roose's comparison notwithstanding, is that Domeric is no more than a few years older than Robb and Jon.

I agree with both of this. It's likely that Roose is combining his own views with things Lady Barbrey once said to him.

As far as I recall, She-Wolves does not contain spoilers for Winds (at least not anything significant), but GRRM got stuck writing it. Instead of spending too much time on the She-Wolves, he put it aside for WoW, since the deadline he had for She-Wolves could be easily filled up with The Princess and the Queen.

The last update on the SSM comes from 2008:

Have there ever been a ruling Lady of Winterfell or Queen of Winter?

No. Although I do hope to someday write the Dunk & Egg story where they travel to Winterfell and meet the She-Wolves.

But I have not been able to find anything where George said that it was actually titled She-Wolves of Winterfell.

But I have not been able to find anything where George said that it was actually titled She-Wolves of Winterfell.

unfortunately I don't have the quote ready... a short story called "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" was announced to be in the anthology "Dangerous Women" until that was changed to be including "The Princess and the Queen" instead. And while I am writing this, I remember it was on Grrm's blog.

I've found this on the Not a Blog:

Q: Wasn't the story supposed to be called "She-wolves of Winterfell"? The fourth installment of the "Hedge Knight" series? Or am I confusing something here?

A: You're out of date, and that was never the actual title.

Q: Extremely curious - does this mean She-Wolves (or whatever it would have been called) is delayed, or that it's been scrapped altogether? Hopefully the former...
Mostly though, I'm just super excited about this new novella that's replaced it! I don't think I can resist checking out the sample you linked.

A: Delayed.
Q: Can we hear real working title yet?
A: Don't have one.
It's from the announcement of the Princess and the Queen.
It seems that the title "She-Wolves of Winterfell" was only a working title, and that in July 2013, there was not yet an actual title. If he hasn't worked on the story until now, most likely there still isn't a real title.
Edit: This is from 2011 entry

And yes, DANGEROUS WOMEN will include the fourth Dunk & Egg novella, the long-promised tale of their visit to the North, where they encounter the She-Wolves of Winterfell. I could tell you more than that, but then I'd need to kill you.

Which is probably where the fan/working title "She-Wolves of Winterfell" came from.

Sorry if this question has been answered somewhere but, I have read the books and lately I've been wondering...Who was Ned Stark mother?? Why there is no information about her? Is it important or not? Or maybe they said something about her in the books and I missed it.

Archived