GRRM confirms: TWOW not done yet

Hagen of Tronje

The thread title would be perfect for The Onion. Really, I find it awesome.

The Onion would likely change it to "GRRM Confirms: ADWD not done yet," and then detail how Martin actually revokes Dance to add in more Dany chapters.

He could announce it tomorrow, or a year from now. "It is not done yet" means just what it says. "It is not done yet" doesn't mean it's not coming out this year. He could finish next week for all we know.

The fact that he is willing to compare TWOW progress speed with that of previous books is a good sign, I think if he wasn't close to finishing he wouldn't dare to make any comparisons at all, he's been so wary since ADWD. I think he's not finished but he's not far from it. I think he knows it won't be long until he finishes but due to having run into trouble in the past he's too cautious to give any estimates.

Or I'm reading too much into it because I can't wait to read the damned book!

Am I the only one that is not obsessed with when he is going to finish TWOW?

To be honest, I enjoy analyzing the first five books a bit too much that I can just sit and enjoy at least for another year or two... I think we have been a bit crazy about this. I would also like to see it ASAP, but I acknowledge the fact he needs time and I made my peace with it.

I do would like to talk with GRRM about some things, but since he is not coming to Serbia any time soon and I imagine I won't get his skype/phone number soon enough, as said, I will just sit down and enjoy doing what I have done before...

But, if someone reaches him, tell him that he has a crazy Serbian fan extremely interested in his work :)

Which one is GRRM referring to? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

There was a planned Tyrion chapter where he meets the Shrouded Lord. I expect he's referring to that. Apparently it was a really good, atmospheric chapter but he just couldn't fit it into the narrative

To be honest, I enjoy analyzing the first five books a bit too much that I can just sit and enjoy at least for another year or two...

While I've made my peace with the workrate of entertainment providers long before reading ASOIAF, I've got to ask: when did you start analysing the books? I personally felt kind of weary after the fifth year. :)

While I've made my peace with the workrate of entertainment providers long before reading ASOIAF, I've got to ask: when did you start analysing the books? I personally felt kind of weary after the fifth year. :)

Well, I sympathize with people who are waiting much more than I have been. I finished ADWD at the end of 2011, but my first serious analysis happened when I came here... That would be June 2012... So, almost two years...

I can imagine George only giving a date for release when he really is finished so he does not have to keep pushing it back like happened with adwd. So with that a good thing is that if he says it is done the actual release won't be very far off.

Well he's talking openly about his work on the book again, that's great! It was kind of heartbreaking how he had simply stopped even mentioning it after all the delays on ADWD. I guess that the amazing reception to the amazing Mercy chapter he posted reminded him that fans still love him. :) I'm quite happy to hear less editing has been required until now for this one. It means that until now he probably hasn't encountered the same problems as in AFFC and AWD, and is certainly a more reliable information than any page count, as page counts are so unreliable. It's going well, and its all that matters for now.

This is correct. The page counts GRRM gives are for completed, edited and 'locked' material, which can only be subsequently changed in late edits (when the book is done). ADWD was highly unusual in that the structural changes GRRM made meant that the 'locked' thing was less reliable than it had been as a metre of progress on AFFC and earlier novels, as he had to keep 'unlocking' the chapters to move them around to address the Meereenese Knot, his massive rewrite of the entirety of Jon Snow's storyline, omitting a whole Tyrion subplot etc.

He was still writing a lot of 'unlocked' (i.e. first draft material, fragments, rough sketches) material, he just wasn't finalising them in that time. When you get to the end of the writing process and the page count is shooting up by 100 pages a month of whatever, that's because that material had mostly been written years earlier and GRRM was effectively signing off on it, not because he was suddenly churning out 100 pages of polished, finished material from scratch in a month.

If GRRM is saying that TWoW has been far less problematic so far, that is highly encouraging. Unfortunately, it appears that ADWD situation has made him much more wary about releasing progress information by way of finished manuscript pages, as he seems to distrust that they are really done and doesn't want to raise false hopes again.

I believe GRRM was still writing at least 5 chapters for A Dance with Dragons when he announced the publication date for the book.

If anything my biggest worry for The Winds of Winter is the simple fact that it's going to have too much material originally intended for A Dance with Dragons. As a result of this the plot for the Winds of Winter wont be able to progress nearly as much as GRRM would have wanted it to.

So far the 8 or so chapters we got from The Winds of Winter are all material cut from the last book.

Am I the only one that is not obsessed with when he is going to finish TWOW?

To be honest, I enjoy analyzing the first five books a bit too much that I can just sit and enjoy at least for another year or two... I think we have been a bit crazy about this. I would also like to see it ASAP, but I acknowledge the fact he needs time and I made my peace with it.

I enjoy analyzing the books too. (A lot) but I find it very difficult to intelligently analyze an incomplete work. I just know I'll say something stupid that gets contradicted in the next book.

So he needs to finish fast so I can get to work on my magnum opus discussing feminist issues in Westeros.

I am not sure why people think HBO is going to catch up season 4 is barly going to get into FOC. And I think they could make two more season out of the rest of FOC and DOD. HBO most likely wont run out of material until after the 2016 season.

There's only going to be seven seasons (some people are desperately clinging to eight due to a misunderstanding of what the head of HBO said, but it's seven), so if they take up to the end of Season 6 to clear AFFC/ADWD, with two very large books to be adapted afterwards (even if they are not out yet) and only 10 episodes to do it in, they are going to have some big problems.

There's only going to be seven seasons (some people are desperately clinging to eight due to a misunderstanding of what the head of HBO said, but it's seven), so if they take up to the end of Season 6 to clear AFFC/ADWD, with two very large books to be adapted afterwards (even if they are not out yet) and only 10 episodes to do it in, they are going to have some big problems.

I'm sure if the show is still popular enough and making money for them at the time HBO will allow for an 8th season. At this point I still say it's too early to tell one way or another. The show itself has still not been officially picked up for a 5th season; though it seems very likely that it will be.

Archived