How did Aegon the conqueror and his sisters ride dragons ?

Steven Clarke

Hi guys , :)

I am new here , I know about the history of Westros from the HBO special featurette ,

In the 4th Season of Game Of Thrones , Daenerys is struggling to control her dragons , so will she be able to ride them and control them ? and why it is so hard ?

if it is so , then how did Aegon and his two sisters/wives able to ride dragons and fight and eventually winning ?

I am new here , I know about the history of Westros from the HBO special featurette ,

In the 4th Season of Game Of Thrones , Daenerys is struggling to control her dragons , so will she be able to ride them and control them ? and why it is so hard ?

if it is so , then how did Argon and his two sisters/wives able to ride dragons and fight and eventually winning ?

For that matter how did the Valyrians ride dragons for thousands of years?

Even more how did Valyria master dragons.

Where there Dragon Masters like there a falconers?

It seems when Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys Targaryen conquered Westeros , the use of War Dragons was standard operational procedure.

If you mean a dragon saddle and harness , there are illustrations showing the three Targaryens riding dragons using such gear.

Not having read all GRRM I don't know if he has described this equipment, has he?

I really don't think George has ever described a manual called HOW TO MASTER A DRAGON.

Across the 5 novels now I think Daenerys has indeed thought about this problem , and maybe just maybe in Winter such a person or persons arrive to help her.

• 2 weeks later...

if it is so , then how did Aegon and his two sisters/wives able to ride dragons and fight and eventually winning ?

Welcome! :cheers:

If we're going to go into book lore, the Valyrians controlled their dragons through blood sacrifice (?), magic, and magical horns from what I understand.

Whatever knowledge the Targaryens had about dragonlore disappeared when the last dragons died, leaving Dany (et al) in the dark. There is hope in that there may be a book or two stored away in the Citadel (one popular theory being the Maesters are responsible for the demise of the dragons) that contain the history of dragonriding. Or Tyrion could have some info, seeing how he's been fascinated with dragons for most of his life.

We're so used to the Starks kids and their bond with their direwolves that we tend to forget few others in the story of Ice and Fire share that ability.

From what we've seen so far in the books, Dany's way out of her league when it comes to controlling her babies. And they are going to get a lot bigger soon enough. :P

The Princess And The Queen gets into much more detail about dragon riders and how they rode them and used them in battle and stuff. It seems like they usually raise their dragons from birth and eventually tame them to a degree. At least enough to ride them and make them follow commands in battle. I just figure since that was a long time before ASOIAF and all the dragons have been dead for some time by then, that the knowledge of how to somewhat control a dragon has been lost. So Dany doesn't know any of the Targaryean "tips" that would have been otherwise passed down I suppose. Or maybe her dragons are just especially hard to control.

The Princess And The Queen gets into much more detail about dragon riders and how they rode them and used them in battle and stuff. It seems like they usually raise their dragons from birth and eventually tame them to a degree. At least enough to ride them and make them follow commands in battle. I just figure since that was a long time before ASOIAF and all the dragons have been dead for some time by then, that the knowledge of how to somewhat control a dragon has been lost. So Dany doesn't know any of the Targaryean "tips" that would have been otherwise passed down I suppose. Or maybe her dragons are just especially hard to control.

I think that's it. No one in living memory has seen a dragon, until Dany's three were born. The Princess and the Queen seems to suggest that dragons are either raised from the egg, or that Targaryens re-use dragons that have lost their riders (like Helaena riding Dreamfyre). It seems unlikely that the "tips" have been written down, it seems more likely that the Targaryens would tell and teach each other, since they were the only family to still ride dragons.

• 4 months later...

Archived