Intelligence Gathering: Varys & Qyburn

ServantOnIce

Re Reading ADWD this week and in Ser Kevan's epilogue he speaks about Qyburn's work with, Vary's Whispers . . we know Varys used servant children among his network of spies, but how is Qyburn acquiring this accurate information without knowing using the kids?

Qyburn is accurate about fAegon, Jon Connington, The Golden Company, The Iron Born and Stannis at the wall. This all being done in an area where intelligence gathering was vastly more primitive than our NSA/Department of Defense/CIA/FBI networks of today.

I know we fans do essays on aspects on the story from time to time, what are y'alls thoughts on the how Varys was so accurate in his information and how Qyburn is accurate with his?

And as for Qyburn what is his motivation? Where does he come from in Westeros? What does he want by attaching himself to an obvious train wreck in Queen Cersei?

I can assume that Qyburn is at least not playing the GOT on the Citadel's side.

As to attaching himself to Cercei's reign of terror, that was a golden opportunity for a disgraced maester that used to belong to the bloody mummers. Also, he wanted to finally do necromancy with corpses having legs and hands.

As to the accuracy of Qyburn/Varys sources, well, in weteros whole letters (with was seals) can be sent by raven, so I can assume that a wizard did it.

Well, the GC landing, the Ironborn attack on the Reach, Stannis at the Wall, etc, are huge events, so the information has likely spread already throughout the realm. But on many cases it's not exactly accurate (Randyll Tarly and others doubt Aegon and JonCon are the real deal because no one can be sure yet).

But there are other things, much smaller, that I really don't know how the hell Qyburn knows, like Sylva Santagar marrying Lord Estermont in a hurry and things like that. Now I'm wondering if he has access to a glass candle.

I can't wait to see what kind of tricks Qyburn has in store. He's always been fascinating to me ever since he told his tale of why he got kicked out of the Citadel, learning the secrets of the living and the dead.

One could assume that Varys is feeding him some choice gossip through his little birds to keep up appearances and their positions or that some might have gone rogue (less likely especially if he does indeed take their tongues and is creeping about the castle).

Pretty much any information Varys gathered outside of KL itself was based on the rumour mill in KL's harbor and a few other trading spots. All he did (and Quyburn later) was sift the rumours methodically.

What does he want by attaching himself to an obvious train wreck in Queen Cersei?

Not being burned at the stake for heresy and necromancy.

I imagine any of Varys's old informers feeding Qyburn information might still be selling it to Varys as well. It's established he was adept at disguises, and he might not have ever met them while dressed as "himself". Also, Varys was probably telling so of his more loyal people WHAT to tell Varys, while withholding whichever tidbits he felt necessary. While Qyburn was Cersei's "Master of Whisperers," he was probably still in fact working for Varys.

Archived