R+L =J, v. 77

TerraPrime

Hightower: ...while defending the honor and property of the Dornish princess Elia Martell. Handed command to Ser Arthur Dayne due to sustained injuries the same year. Broke five(?) lances against Oswell Whent in the Tourney at Harrenhal and fought with great distinction [in] the melee.

Dispatched by King Aerys to locate the crown Prince Rhaegar Targaryen in the wake of Robert Baratheon's rebellion. Died in the Red Mountains of Dorne alongside his sworn brothers, Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Oswell Whent after refusing to bow a knee to the new King. Robert Baratheon, all three were defeated by a small force by lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell.

Dayne: Second son [of] Beric Dayne of the House Starfall. Named Sword of the Morning and wielder of the great white blade 'Dawn' forged from a fallen star. Won many tourneys and broke twelve lances against Rhaegar Targary [sic], prince of Dragonstone at the Tourney of Storm's End. In the year of the False Spring, at the Great Tourney at Harrenhal, he stood against all but the prince once more.

Beloved by the people, he acted as their voice(?) in the reign of King Aerys II, gathering their concerns and bringing them before the King. Brought(?) in ? for the royal forces to repay the smallfolk for their goods and turned the tide of support against the criminal scourge of the Kingswood Brotherhood. Led the Kingsguard to victory...

There it is, as best as I can tell. Some of it is hard to make out. The writing is not clear and there are mistakes, missing words, etc. Other times it was difficult to make out if the letters were upper- or lowercase. I tried to accurately reflect that as best I could. Also the punctuation in the first spoiler between "King" and "Robert" is how it appears to me, though it's obviously a mistake.

ETA: Here's the spoiler containing screen cap provided by Han Snow: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=280lfnd&s=8

They mentioned her, they mentioned, the prettiest maid in the 7 kingdoms, gasp I feel faint.

oh Dawn you little vixen, her love doth cut deep,

:) Thank you! And thanks to all the others who provided the screen caps! :D

Interesting to see Elia mentioned like this, by name, in the book. Also funny to see Arthur Dayne's fathers name mentioned. Perhaps because the World Book is about to be released, they have put small bits of info like this that could potentially be used in the show, this small and secretly. I mean, we already knew that Arthur was a younger son of the house, but small things like names are always nice to learn. I'm curious as to how canon this name is, but I guess we'll know by the end of the year :)

I thought that was interesting too, and wondered why he had to defend her? Perhaps an accusation of impropriety? An insult of some sort? In what timeline did this occur, (I can’t make out everything), so I’m assuming something at KL prior to the Harrenhal events, or after Rhaegar left? :dunno:

It looks like that piece was a continueation from the previous page.

Sorry confirmation of what?

Selmy had the option to bend the knee to Robert. I think it is important to remember even if you have vows you can still make a choice. Right or wrong it's not like the brain stops working, well for most characters, some are just stupid.

But, since we assume that Selmy didn't know about Jon, then he may not have bent the knee either if he had.

I thought that was interesting too, and wondered why he had to defend her? Perhaps an accusation of impropriety? An insult of some sort? In what timeline did this occur, (I can’t make out everything), so I’m assuming something at KL prior to the Harrenhal events, or after Rhaegar left? :dunno:

But, since we assume that Selmy didn't know about Jon, then he may not have bent the knee either if he had.

Wrt to the spoiler part,

didn't someone (one of Kingswood Brotherhood?) steal some jewelry and a kiss from her?

Sorry confirmation of what?

The subject of this thread. Seriously, people should check out this HBO viewer's guide...full of goodies for all theories: http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-4/episode-1/home/31

Especially the family trees of houses and its individual members, like the Stark one here.

Edit: the links contain show spoilers for 4x01

Elia was attacked by the Kingswood Brotherhood, and Gerold Hightower got injured in the fighting, causing him not to be a part of the group who eventually returned to deal with the Brotherhood.

The final battle with the Kingswood Brotherhood was the battle after which Jaime got knighted, so it happened before Harrenhal ;)

No slander towards Elia or anything.. Just a sort of attack.

One of the members in the Nights Watch was even a member of the Brotherhood, and he tells stories about the kiss he stole from the lips of the Dornish Princess that day.. I doubt Gerold would simply have stood aside to let that happen :)

Wrt to the spoiler part,

didn't someone (one of Kingswood Brotherhood?) steal some jewelry and a kiss from her?

Elia was attacked by the Kingswood Brotherhood, and Gerold Hightower got injured in the fighting, causing him not to be a part of the group who eventually returned to deal with the Brotherhood.

The final battle with the Kingswood Brotherhood was the battle after which Jaime got knighted, so it happened before Harrenhal ;)

No slander towards Elia or anything.. Just a sort of attack.

One of the members in the Nights Watch was even a member of the Brotherhood, and he tells stories about the kiss he stole from the lips of the Dornish Princess that day.. I doubt Gerold would simply have stood aside to let that happen :)

Completley forgot about that, thanks! :P

It's interesting that everyone seemed to think Rhaegar was at KL. He abducted Lyanna but decided not to take her to KL where she would (as far as he knew) be safe. Brandon had just beat up Littlefinger at Riverrun, was on his way home to WF, then heard Rhaegar had abducted his sister. So he must have assumed Rhaegar would take her to KL, because he then rides straight there and yells for Rhaegar to come out and fight him 1 to 1......Rhaegar of course was not there but in Dorne with Lyanna.

I guess I never really thought about this, but why would Rhaegar take Lyanna to Dorne as it was Dornish princess he was cheating on Lyanna with?

Also does anyone else seem to think Brandon is kind of a dick? He's at the Tourney at Harrenhel, then goes to Riverrun......He didn't even like Cat but was prepared to kill LF over her. Then he hears about Rhaegar and Lyanna and immediately goes to challenge him?? Um get it together buddy, you dont have to fight everyone. How did he know Lyanna was actually abducted and did not go on her own free will? he was at the tourney, he saw Rhaegar and Lyanna together while he was crowning her queen of love and beauty, she was even crying while Rhaegar played the harp........Um listen Brandon, maybe your sister liked him and did not like Robbie so much.....did you ever think it might be a better idea to handle the situation calmly?

It's interesting that everyone seemed to think Rhaegar was at KL. He abducted Lyanna but decided not to take her to KL where she would (as far as he knew) be safe. Brandon had just beat up Littlefinger at Riverrun, was on his way home to WF, then heard Rhaegar had abducted his sister. So he must have assumed Rhaegar would take her to KL, because he then rides straight there and yells for Rhaegar to come out and fight him 1 to 1......Rhaegar of course was not there but in Dorne with Lyanna.

I guess I never really thought about this, but why would Rhaegar take Lyanna to Dorne as it was Dornish princess he was cheating on Lyanna with?

We don't know where Rhaegar and Lyanna had been during the entire war. They could have been somewhere else first, of course.

King's Landing would have been the most naturally place for Rhaegar to be. It was his home, and with everything happening so quickly after one another, it was unlikely that Rhaegar had already made the crossing to Dragonstone, if that had been his plan. Most likely, only Rhaegar's closest friends and the people at court knew about his visits to Summerhal. So where else was Brandon going to go search for Rhaegar but King's Landing?

Also does anyone else seem to think Brandon is kind of a dick? He's at the Tourney at Harrenhel, then goes to Riverrun......He didn't even like Cat but was prepared to kill LF over her. Then he hears about Rhaegar and Lyanna and immediately goes to challenge him?? Um get it together buddy, you dont have to fight everyone. How did he know Lyanna was actually abducted and did not go on her own free will? he was at the tourney, he saw Rhaegar and Lyanna together while he was crowning her queen of love and beauty, she was even crying while Rhaegar played the harp........Um listen Brandon, maybe your sister liked him and did not like Robbie so much.....did you ever think it might be a better idea to handle the situation calmly?

I think with the situation with Cat was that he was her betrothed, and he had to fight LF when he was challenged. And my take on his reaction to the news about Lyanna, was that he panicked and acted rashly.

And I've actually always thought there were many similarities between Brandon and Oberyn.

We don't know where Rhaegar and Lyanna had been during the entire war. They could have been somewhere else first, of course.

King's Landing would have been the most naturally place for Rhaegar to be. It was his home, and with everything happening so quickly after one another, it was unlikely that Rhaegar had already made the crossing to Dragonstone, if that had been his plan. Most likely, only Rhaegar's closest friends and the people at court knew about his visits to Summerhal. So where else was Brandon going to go search for Rhaegar but King's Landing?

But, he wasn't searching, he seemed dead sure that Rhaegar was at home.

But, he wasn't searching, he seemed dead sure that Rhaegar was at home.

Panick, blinding anger, and not being able to think of another option that won't require Rhaegar to cross KL, will definitly have had an influence.

Short sidenote back to the topic of the KG pages in the new episode:

How logical is it that the order is Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Duncan the Tall, Ser Jaime Lannister? :P

Panick, blinding anger, and not being able to think of another option that won't require Rhaegar to cross KL, will definitly have had an influence.

Short sidenote back to the topic of the KG pages in the new episode:

How logical is it that the order is Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Duncan the Tall, Ser Jaime Lannister? :P

I had the same thought. That was a very TV thing to do. A more sensible order was probably impractical for fairly obvious reasons though.

I had the same thought. That was a very TV thing to do. A more sensible order was probably impractical for fairly obvious reasons though.

I also nurse the suspicion that the several things that appear in the Mercy

chapter, which also appear in the episode (in TV character-cutting format) were

the reasons Mercy was released in the first place :)

I also nurse the suspicion that the several things that appear in the Mercy

chapter, which also appear in the episode (in TV character-cutting format) were

the reasons Mercy was released in the first place :)

Again, same. I was thinking, "hey, this seems familiar" during the relevant portion of the episode. :) I LOVED it in both formats, too.

Archived