R+L =J, v. 77

TerraPrime

You may be misreading it a bit, Aegon didn't choose to send Aemon to the wall to protect him, Aemon chose to go to the wall to protect Aegon. Aemon also took his vows very seriously as even after Summerhall and Roberts rebellion he stayed at the wall.

Has anyone read the latest at not a blog? Winds not coming till 2018 and no more sample chapters either? Going to be a long f****** wait. So is Dany fireproof and what about that KG speech?

I edited it a little, I didn't express myself properly, You're right it was Aemon's choice, but Aegon let him go even though he didn't want to, I read that on another page. Aegon wanted to keep him there as council. Anyway the main point I was making is that Aegon sent Aemon to the wall because of who he was and Jon sent him away from the wall because of who he was.

Has anyone read the latest at not a blog? Winds not coming till 2018 and no more sample chapters either? Going to be a long f****** wait. So is Dany fireproof and what about that KG speech?

Haha where did you read that? I think it is an April Fools :)

I edited it a little, I didn't express myself properly, You're right it was Aemon's choice, but Aegon let him go even though he didn't want to, I read that on another page. Aegon wanted to keep him there as council. Anyway the main point I was making is that Aegon sent Aemon to the wall because of who he was and Jon sent him away from the wall because of who he was.

Well of course Egg didn't want him to go, Egg was good people. Interesting that he sent the Bloodraven with him, and yes he is now "the" Bloodraven. Sent Dunk as well.

I didn't read it, I wrote it, it's April fools after all, wonder how much trouble I will get in if I post AGOT season 5 cancelled over on the show section of the forum?

Roasted Ser Creighton would be on the menu. ;)

"They also considered the infant son of deceased Prince Aerion, called Brightflame (or Brightfire)--an infamous figure who had killed himself by drinking the widlfire that he believed would transform him into a dragon; for obvious reasons, the son was passed over."

--So not only could the council choose someone to be king who they thought would be better, they can also pass over a legit heir because his father was crazy.

The fact that Aerion's son was an infant was probably just as much a reason as Aerion's madness. Roose Bolton has a line something like "woe unto the land that has a child lord." That holds true for kings as much lords.

In a perilous time, when King Maekar was just killed by a rebel lord, there needed to be a strong king. Since we know there was a great council, there must have been a reasonable enough consensus in Westeros to have the council to pick a king, and not just open fighting.

The fact that Aerion's son was an infant was probably just as much a reason as Aerion's madness. Roose Bolton has a line something like "woe unto the land that has a child lord." That holds true for kings as much lords.

In a perilous time, when King Maekar was just killed by a rebel lord, there needed to be a strong king. Since we know there was a great council, there must have been a reasonable enough consensus in Westeros to have the council to pick a king, and not just open fighting.

Maybe there will be another great council. Terrible times again. GRRM has said several ppl will sit the IT before the end. If one or two sits and fails in the next book, it would not surprise me if something like that happened.

I cannot stop reading all the info on this app. There is sooooo much about R+L=J.

Here is a little tidbit about some laws in Westeros and the possible inheritance....

"The council considered the claims of the daughter of Maekar's deceased eldest son, Dareon the Drunken, but rejected her becasue of her sex and because she was slow of wits."

---So Kingship and being the heir really doesnt matter that much if the council agrees that there is a better alternative out there.

"They also considered the infant son of deceased Prince Aerion, called Brightflame (or Brightfire)--an infamous figure who had killed himself by drinking the widlfire that he believed would transform him into a dragon; for obvious reasons, the son was passed over."

--So not only could the council choose someone to be king who they thought would be better, they can also pass over a legit heir because his father was crazy.

"This left Prince Aegon, and his surviving elder brother Aemon, by that time a Maester of the Citadel. Those opposed to Aegon were numerous enough that a serious inquiry was made into releasing Aemon from his vows, but Maester Aemon refused them. So Aegon ascended the throne as Aegon V--called the Fortunate and the Unlikely."

Wow---I think you can all see what this means for our boy Jon should the Wall not fall, and should he be held to his vows after his lineage comes to light........If a Great Council is called to determine the kingship, they can "release him from his vows", if they want to. If Aemon can be released from his vows as a Maester (when there are plenty of other legit heirs out there) then Jon can be released from his vows to the NW.

Good catch! So if a Great Council knows about Jon's lineage, and they knows he is a member of the NW, then they will release him from his vows as a Night's Watchsman if they deem it necessary.

These reasons are not so obvious for me. It was right to pass over Daeron's lackwit daughter (if she was really lackwit) but Aerion's son was the rightful king. There existed more dangerous or more crackpot kings than Aerion. Besides, it is not a given that the boy would be as crazy as his father. The Great Council had no right in this. I think Egg should have been the regent and the Hand of this boy. He can even marry one of his daughters to him and all would be well. Instead, he ended up usurping the birtright of the boy.

Good catch! So if a Great Council knows about Jon's lineage, and they knows he is a member of the NW, then they will release him from his vows as a Night's Watchsman if they deem it necessary.

I hope it does not work that way. I hope people accept Jon mainly because of saving the realm.

There is that King in the North / King of Winter decree around as well.

I don't really see how this utter mess of a realm will ever be united again before the Others come, not with the way people are lusting for that IT and fighting each other for it as well as vengeance for past transgressions. I don't think the author is building this world. He could have just left Ned Stark at Winterfell and call in Robert's help if he wanted that.

If there's still supposed to be some hope for people to stand against the Others, the North must straighten itself out as much as possible pretty soon. The NW is out of food and money, there's thousands of Wildlings that need said food, not to mention that there had better be more Wildlings out there that can be saved, otherwise there's a gigantic Wight army coming their way (there already is, I think). In order to get the North to supply the Watch (and Winterfell at this point? Secondary line of defence?), that decree could come in handy.

If you want to think of a scenario where the members of a Great Council (who are they?) were to hear about Jon, I think he'd need to be more than just an LC of the NW, as people mostly have lost respect for the NW as an institution. For them to suddenly regain it and vote him for IT...? Again, there's a decree out there that legitimises him and calls him king. (Not saying he'll be Lord.) The Stark last name is older and much less associated with the fire and blood campaigns that are headed into Westeros (Aegon/Dany).

But the IT comes after the fight, I think.

I think that the Great Council will surely convene after the battle for the Dawn 2.0, when most of the GOT players are dead and burned. If Jon is alive at that time and his parentage is known he'll probably get a chance to rebuild Westeros.

Off topic: Did anyone read the Rogue Prince? Is there a thread discussing it, I can't seem to find it.

I think that the Great Council will surely convene after the battle for the Dawn 2.0, when most of the GOT players are dead and burned. If Jon is alive at that time and his parentage is known he'll probably get a chance to rebuild Westeros.

Off topic: Did anyone read the Rogue Prince? Is there a thread discussing it, I can't seem to find it.

The story won't be released until June 17th :). The thread in which the story is discussed currently is a discussion on everything we know prior to the release.. All the little bits on info that GRRM told on his blog, and all the little things that Ran tells us about it's contents.

This is the thread about the Rogue Prince. I guess when the story is released, either the discussion will continue there, or a new thread will be made, just as happened with the Princess and the Queen.

Archived