Theon I: How did Theon recognize that voice?

While we're at it, I have another question.

The king plucked a parchment off the table and squinted over it. A letter, Theon knew. Its broken seal was black wax, hard and shiny. I know what that says, he thought, giggling.

How?

Edit: As to the original question. The chapter starts with:

The king's voice was choked with anger

If Theon wouldn't know that it's Stannis, then it would say something like "An angry voice, choked with anger, said"

The last Asha chapter from ADwD ends with her meeting Theon. My guess is, that in the time between, he has been brought before Stannis before he decided to hang him up on the wall.

He's confused when he regains consciousness because, well, he's quite mad at that point. He wonders if he's back at the Dreadfort and his memories about what happened after their escape are pretty jumbled up.

Edit 2: Okay, this passage confirms it:

My sister, Theon thought, my sweet sister. Though he had lost all feeling in his arms, he felt the twisting in his gut, the same as when that bloodless Braavosi banker presented him to Asha as a 'gift.' The memory still rankled. The burly, balding knight who'd been with her had wasted no time shouting for help, so they'd had no more than a few moments before Theon was dragged away to face the king.

Theon seems to all of sudden "know" things and "remember" things:

1) He knows the voice he hears is a king

Maybe he met him earlier? Maybe he remembers from years ago? Maybe the voice sounded kingly?

2) He knows the voice is Stannis

Maybe he met him earlier? Maybe he remembers from years ago?

3) He knew the contents of Jon's letter.

The seal was broken. Maybe Theon read it? Maybe the Braavosi read it and Theon got the info from him? They had a three day journey. Whatever the reason, it means Theon is becoming sneaky and savy.

4) Theon knew Ser Justin

Maybe he met him earlier?

5) Theon knew Arnolf Karstark

This is interesting as he didn't remember who Karstark was at the Dreadfort. And he doesn't remember who he is when he first seems him, but it returns to him over the course of Karstark talking.

"I remember"

6) Theon suddenly remembers Whoresbane

This, again, is interesting. He didn't know who Whoresbane was when at the Dreadfort. Now, much later, looking back, he remembers that it was Whoresbane.

7) Theon remembers Mikken clearly and vividly, while Jeyne has trouble remembering.

Yes, Theon grew up in Winterfell, but so did Jeyne. Theon's memory is normally poorer than others. Others recognize him when he doesn't recognize them. His memory is better than Jeyne's here. Yes, girls probably spend less time at blacksmiths than boys. But, interesting nonetheless.

Anyway, I just think it's fun that Theon is returning to life before our eyes. It'll be a shame if he dies.

He probably is just used to hearing his voice from the previous days of being chained up. Not sure how much time passes from when we last see Theon in DwD to his first chapter in Winds.

Remember that when Theon wakes up Stannis is already in the middle of talking to him saying he is a "worse pirate than Salladhor". Maybe Theon passed out when they chained him up, he regains consciousness and panics thinking he is in the Dreadfort again but then comes to his senses once he hears Stannis's voice. Its sounds like he finds a lot of safety in knowing its Stannis voice he hears and that he is in his camp far away from Ramsey.

Or

When Balon bent the knee to Robert and handed over his son Stannis may have met with them at the docks with the Royal Fleet to talk them back. I'm sure he had a lot to say and it scared Theon that after surrendering Stannis still wanted to execute Balon.

On the GOT Season 2 DVD there is a great histories & lore video with Stannis telling the story of the Grejoy Rebellion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkmQiIBd12s

He probably is just used to hearing his voice from the previous days of being chained up. Not sure how much time passes from when we last see Theon in DwD to his first chapter in Winds.

This was my interpretation as well.

Theon's POV chapters have featured a "disjointed" perspective for some time. It feeds his theme of being a survivor who has gone through a parade of horribles in the books. When and how he remembers Stannis's voice . . . I'm okay with leaving that off the page. The reader can supply that detail. But in terms of the whole "I barely know my name and can't keep track of what I am doing" theme, this sort of fogginess works quite well. It's not as if he's keep a diary of his meetings.

I believe Theon had been chained for some time in the company of Stannis and his men. As you can see here:

The burly, balding knight who'd been with her had wasted no time shouting for help, so they'd had no more than a few moments before Theon was dragged away to face the king.

As he left, another entered; a knight. The king's knights had been coming and going all night, Theon recalled dimly. This one seemed to be the king's familiar.

That's why he knew them and their voices. I believe he was sleeping/passed out when they chained him to the wall, thats why he didnt knew where he was when he woke up.

Theon was brought before the king after meeting Asha, so he has met Stannis and that's why he recognized his voice. Quote again:

My sister, Theon thought, my sweet sister. Though he had lost all feeling in his arms, he felt the twisting in his gut, the same as when that bloodless Braavosi banker presented him to Asha as a 'gift.' The memory still rankled. The burly, balding knight who'd been with her had wasted no time shouting for help, so they'd had no more than a few moments before Theon was dragged away to face the king.

Archived