Howland Reed's Moving Castle

Ghost of Groat

The wiki page has some footnotes as chapter references.

Regarding Howl's Moving Castle: Yeah, it's a tip of the hat. I guess it's just too obvious to be a complete coincidence. George does that kind of thing all the time; you'll find numerous references to the works of Jack Vance, Roger Zelazny etc. ...

From the WOIAF app: "GWW is the seat of house Reed in the Neck, just south of Moat Cailin. It is built on a crannog - a man-made floating island - and it is said that ravens cannot find GW because of the way it moves around"

Love it :D. As expected, combining Martin and Miyazaki results in explosion of awesomeness.

Also worth noting is how both Howl and Howland are magicians (in Howland's case, he's been heavily connected with greenseering and green men) in a world where magic is rare and valuable.

Love it :D. As expected, combining Martin and Miyazaki results in explosion of awesomeness. [...]

Love Howls moving castle it is one of my DD's favourite films too [...]

Well, just to clarify, the reference is rather referring to the book by Diana Wynne Jones (1986), NOT the animated movie by Studio Ghibli. One very simple argument to support this claim: It cannot refer to the movie, because the movie is from 2004, way after ASOS was released. :P

Being Irish I recognised what a Crannog was - we had school trips to see recreations. They're houses built on lakes back in the Iron age which makes them easily defended. Although I never heard of ones that could move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crannog

Also Alfred the Great was based in a marsh / swamp when he was fighting the Vikings in the 8th century. The vikings couldn't find their way in the marsh but the English could move quickly and ambush them as they knew the terrain.

Wasn't there a swamp castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail?

...on a side note: who is the Brave Ser Robin of asoiaf?

Yes, there was a swamp castle in Monty Python, which was basically built on the three previous castle that sank into the swamp. But that one isn't moving around.

And Brave Ser Robin: Marilion maybe? He could sing about his own cowardice, without needing any bards.

Being Irish I recognised what a Crannog was - we had school trips to see recreations. They're houses built on lakes back in the Iron age which makes them easily defended. Although I never heard of ones that could move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crannog

Also Alfred the Great was based in a marsh / swamp when he was fighting the Vikings in the 8th century. The vikings couldn't find their way in the marsh but the English could move quickly and ambush them as they knew the terrain.

Great explanation! I have always wondered myself where "crannogmen" came from.

:rofl: Nope.

Not gonna lie, if the castle isn't in a giant turtle I'm gonna be disappointed. Not that it would ruin the books, just be a wasted opportunity IMO. Not nearly enough giant turtles in fantasy, especially jerk turtles like the Neverending Story.

Not gonna lie, if the castle isn't in a giant turtle I'm gonna be disappointed. Not that it would ruin the books, just be a wasted opportunity IMO. Not nearly enough giant turtles in fantasy, especially jerk turtles like the Neverending Story.

Well to be fair we DID meet a giant turtle on the Rhoyne

Archived