Football LXIX - I'm running out of title ideas

baxus

Titansbastard:

Decent result for United even though Bayern have an away goal. After the drubbings we received from Liverpool and City, I was expecting the worst but we managed to put in a better performance. Schweinsteiger and Martinez suspended for the second leg gives me some hope that we can score away and with a bit of luck maybe get through to the semis.

It was indeed a better game, and I enjoyed watching it. Not greatness from United's side admittedly, but certainly this seems to be the best that can be expected from Moyes' United. At the end of the day you've still played counter football on Old Trafford, which is not something I admire even against this Bayern side, but given the circumstances of such a dreadful season, everyone will understand why this was the chosen tactic.

Alex has the right of it though. Bayern will finish United quite handily at home, but tonight's result will allow the board ( and SAF) to have an excuse to retain Moyes a while longer. Because clearly they are looking for an excuse to keep him on, and this might be what they needed. In the end you will still be ejected from CL this year, and not in next year's either.

Bayern will not be weakened by the players missing. Dante will easily replace Martinez as a much more capable defender ( actually an upgrade over Martinez is you ask me, typical Guardiola stuff to put someone like Martines in central defense). The absence of Schweinsteiger allows them to play Gotze. What they should probably do is have Mandzukic start, so that they have at least 1 striker. His absence was clearly felt, there was no one in the box to score or pick up a final pass. Mueller has other qualities, he plays very well of Mandzukic for instance, but he is too lightweight to be the no.9 on his own, as proven again last night.

Spock

I thought United did really well, and can perhaps call themselves unlucky. Welbeck's disallowed goal was a brilliant piece of skill, and he would perhaps have gotten away with the high boot were it a premier league game.

Fellaini's lack of class was utterly exposed. So many times Utd had a chance to break, and he chose to knock the ball backwards. If you ask me, bringing him from Everton has been one of Moysey's biggest mistakes.

Welbeck's goal was rightly called off though. And he did incredibly badly with that one-on-one chance that he miserably tried to lob. That's where he really should have scored.

As for Fellaini, he struggled, looks out of his depth. He has his moments, he is not completely hopeless. If it were my money I'd wonder why on Earth I paid € 30 million for him, as I'm sure the United execs do. But the fact is that we currently don't have a better player to put next to Carrick so I am happy for Fellaini to stay in the starting line-up.

How about "Caps lock off" :laugh:

Apparently David Beckham is trying to get MLS' salary cap system scrapped. I don't know much about MLS, but I have heard that one of the reasons their teams perform so poorly in the concacaf champions league is their salary caps which hinders their ability to attract more star names.

"I'm running out of title ideas"

Is this a thread about Arsenal?

To be honest, that hasn't even crossed my mind but I like it! :lol:

How about "Caps lock off" :laugh:

Apparently David Beckham is trying to get MLS' salary cap system scrapped. I don't know much about MLS, but I have heard that one of the reasons their teams perform so poorly in the concacaf champions league is their salary caps which hinders their ability to attract more star names.

I think that salary cap is the best thing North America sports' leagues have in place.

It makes for a much more interesting competition but unfortunately it's not applicable in the European system.

If I recall correctly ( which is doubtful) but wasn't there some other team who got banned and then got the ban overturned? This was a while back to be sure, I can't recall which league or team it was. Though it's likely that the cases are not similar.

If I recall correctly ( which is doubtful) but wasn't there some other team who got banned and then got the ban overturned? This was a while back to be sure, I can't recall which league or team it was. Though it's likely that the cases are not similar.

Chelsea. They had their ban shortened or something like that. Maybe fully cancelled. Chelsea's only involved one player as well where as this Barca case indicates that this is a multiple player thing.

Damn that's crazy, I had read that they planned on making 5 or 6 summer signings and wasn't Ter Stegen already agreed :lol:

And Halilovic...who is a teenager signed out of nowhere. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ETA: The most interesting part of that report is that it clearly states the Spanish FA were in on it as well. Get the feeling this might be the tip of an iceberg.

FAO David Cameron: We know you don't like football, we know you don't like football fans, we know you don't like football players, we know you don't really support Aston Villa. Putting your name to football matters won't make us think that you do, or that you are one of us.

Just fuck off and leave us alone. Cheers.

He's not wrong, though.

No he isn't, but he isn't doing it to help out the average football fan either.

Also, the regular one is £60 which (sadly) is a normal-ish price for a shirt. It's only because it's a world cup year and he's going to have to pretend to be watching football in it that he's putting his name to it

Anyway, back to Barca; As with most things, Surge Biscuits has made me laugh the most today

hahahaha corrupt as you like. Barcelona truly are rotten to the core

Banned for "transfer of minors." That sounds more sinister than they probably wanted.

:dunno: Needless to say, I disagree.

This should make for an interesting summer, though. I can see Barca contesting it. Due to the penalties, they should offer Valdes a lucrative extension to his deal to ensure they're not stuck with Pinto.

Archived