How do you picture Asshai?

Mrs.Grumpy

I used to imagine it as a gothic city with misshapen statues and gargoyles around, I still do but I just saw this (of course I think Asshai's sky is darker hence the Shadow)* and I quite like it and I said "why not?". I think Asshai has no real world equivalent so it's hard to imagine.

*The picture above is not suppose to be Asshai, I just saw it and think that Asshai may look similar.

Question is how do you picture Asshai? :laugh:

The names of the cities around Asshai and the Jade Sea do sound Asian/Chinese if you look them up on the wiki page. Then again, they could be hiding a fantastic place under a scary name and reputation, cause you know, all them tourists...Also, I just found my new desktop wallpaper, merci! :D

I think that picture could well be a good representation of Yi-ti. As for Asshai, I always imagined a desolate landscape with blood red pyramids stepped pyramids (rather than the brick of Astapor).

I actually always imagined it somewhat like that picture, although darker like you said. A very dark and gloomy place with that kind of eastern architecture and black rivers. Vegetation is there but scarce and dark in color (think dark blue, very dark green, greyish and purple). Structures have lantarns hanging on the walls to provide light.

Some features of Mordor with a volcanic landscape, and a perpetually overcast sky from the smoke billowed by volcanoes. I would expect some East Asian architecture with tiled, sloped roofs. Ghost grass in a lot of places.

Archived