Bakker XXVI: Atrocious predictions, piled

Borque

The Tree of Ténéré or L'Abre du Ténéré was the world's most isolated tree - the solitary acacia, which grew in the Sahara desert in Niger, Africa, was the only tree within more than 250 miles (400 km) around.

The tree was the last surviving member of a group of acacias that grew when the desert wasn't as dry. When scientists dug a hole near the tree, they found its roots went down as deep as 120 feet (36 m) below to the water table!

Apparently, being the only tree in that part of the wide-open desert (remember: there wasn't another tree for 250 miles around), wasn't enough to stop a drunk Libyan truck driver from driving his truck into it, knocking it down and killing it!

Fucking humans.

what if LotR were written by the RSB? the ent stuff would've been horrifying, i suppose.

And the Ent King cried words that sting: “Now to me you must confess, For death above you hovers!” And the flanneled Emissary answered ever wary: “We are the race of flesh, We are the race of lumberers.”

What the fuck? Had to use the search function to find the thread. Not so long ago we had three threads on page one...

I have been falling behind in this slog of slogs. Can anyone tell me if RSB has released a new excerpt - I vaguely remember him saying something about sending it to Pat more than a month ago?

No, but in the mean time he has written about a dozen 10,000 word essays on the BBT. Not that I'm criticizing him for it or anything, just sayin'.

yeah, he's never been that interested in promoting his books. doesn't participate in the community he's so paternalistically interested in, doesn't attend cons for panels & signings, doesn't do readings or preview chapters &c. :-p

yeah, he's never been that interested in promoting his books. doesn't participate in the community he's so paternalistically interested in, doesn't attend cons for panels & signings, doesn't do readings or preview chapters &c. :-p

I guess what pisses me off is this kind of conceit that he's looking for Pat's email address, he wants to share an excerpt, and then complete radio silence. Come on- if he had sent Pat an excerpt Pat would have shared it, and it's not that hard to find his email address. If you don't want to share an excerpt, don't raise expectations only to dash them.

Anyway, I guess I just have to hope he secretly reads this thread and/or gives a fuck, despite appearances to the contrary.

What the fuck? Had to use the search function to find the thread. Not so long ago we had three threads on page one...

No, but in the mean time he has written about a dozen 10,000 word essays on the BBT. Not that I'm criticizing him for it or anything, just sayin'.

Isn't the BBT stuff y'know, his job? I recall him making the point when the complaining reached it's peak that people could either write him a check or be quiet as he worked towards his degree (I think?)

Isn't the BBT stuff y'know, his job? I recall him making the point when the complaining reached it's peak that people could either write him a check or be quiet as he worked towards his degree (I think?)

That wasn't a complaint. The book is already finished and it's not like he's taking time from releasing an excerpt to write a blog post. And that comment wasn't directed to him. So the second part of your post is a bit irrelevant.

I couldn't care less how many posts on the BBT or anything else he makes, either now or before he finished TUC. Just wondering where someone gets the time to write all that, assuming that his job isn't to write on his blog. And by the way, I didn't know he's working on a degree, thought he was a teacher of some sort.

That wasn't a complaint. The book is already finished and it's not like he's taking time from releasing an excerpt to write a blog post. And that comment wasn't directed to him. So the second part of your post is a bit irrelevant.

I couldn't care less how many posts on the BBT or anything else he makes, either now or before he finished TUC. Just wondering where someone gets the time to write all that, assuming that his job isn't to write on his blog. And by the way, I didn't know he's working on a degree, thought he was a teacher of some sort.

I think he does teach but maybe he's finishing his PhD?

I think he does teach but maybe he's finishing his PhD?

What he said.

As for the rest of your point: my bad. i suppose it's because I've never actually seen anyone be neutral after mentioning how the author (especially Bakker) had other things he could devote his time to . But there's an exception for every rule I suppose.

But at least now we know how he has the time.

What he said.

As for the rest of your point: my bad. i suppose it's because I've never actually seen anyone be neutral after mentioning how the author (especially Bakker) had other things he could devote his time to . But there's an exception for every rule I suppose.

But at least now we know how he has the time.

I believe that Bakker has specifically said that he would like to be able to drop the teaching... but the books aren't sellin' and he's got bills to pay yo.

Since we have apparently run out of ways to argue over the plausibility of hiding a heart up your rectum...

I was listening to Mel Kiper talk NFL draft today and all the permutations and shifts the 32 teams could make and somehow got to thinking about Kellhus. So here's my crazy off the wall question... How would a Dunyain fare as a talking head draft prognosticator? Could the Probability Trance account for things like the Raiders taking a second round prospect with a top ten pick? Would the Thousandfold Thought know that Aaron Rodgers would slip even though he's the superior talent in the draft?

I know... This is a scary glimpse into how my brain works. Just a line of thinking about Dunyain in our modern world.

:leaving:

Funnily enough, I was just wondering how good a Dunyain would do on things like sports betting and stock picking.

I came to the conclusion that he would do quite well with broad strokes after he got the principles down, but things like slips? Probably not.

No idea what a draft is. I hear it's some barbaric form of transfer market ? With rounds? Do teams actually fight? :dunno:

I was listening to Mel Kiper talk NFL draft today and all the permutations and shifts the 32 teams could make and somehow got to thinking about Kellhus. So here's my crazy off the wall question... How would a Dunyain fare as a talking head draft prognosticator? Could the Probability Trance account for things like the Raiders taking a second round prospect with a top ten pick? Would the Thousandfold Thought know that Aaron Rodgers would slip even though he's the superior talent in the draft?

If he had a chance to meet the decisionmakers for each team, and could access film of prospects as well as scouting for each team's need, then I have little doubt he could put together a perfect NFL draft. It seems like a much more achievable objective than other things Kellhus has managed in the probability trance.

I see Kellhus as something of a point guard-small forward cross in the NBA.

He'd have the tactical acumen to be a point guard but his height and athletic ability would be suitable for a small forward, in fact he could be a White Durant.

As a talking head he'd be equally superb, and it would be interesting to see him give off a draft prognosis or match analysis whilst at the same time peeling off the skin of the host. Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose would watch in complete awe.

Archived