Bakker XXVI: Atrocious predictions, piled

Borque

Speaking of, does anyone who follows publishing much more than I do have any good take on when we might get another update on the most unholiest of unholies? Either from the blog or elsewhere? I mean, we got that update that the manuscript was done. I do understand that there's still plenty of work from that point, but what's a reasonable timeline to where we might hear the next update whatever that might be? What comes next? Rewrites are completed? Editors are done? Release date set?

Orbit have said that they not expecting the book in 2014. I'd say that Spring 2015 is the earliest we should be hoping for right now.

Orbit have said that they not expecting the book in 2014. I'd say that Spring 2015 is the earliest we should be hoping for right now.

Spring of 2015! To the Coffers boys!

The slog of slogs!!!

Whaaaa? I Thought the book was done and then it was done done. What do they need all that time for?

That's how publishing works. I can think of maybe one SFF author(living) that actually can get's booked published really fast and that's GRRM. Heck, Robin Hobb is finishing up book 2 of her new series and book 1 hasn't even come out here in the states yet. And don't get me started on Glen Cook.

Whaaaa? I Thought the book was done and then it was done done. What do they need all that time for?

Do we know that? I thought back in February Bakker posted something about the book being done and going in for edits, but no word yet that the back and forth of the editing process was finished. Has there been anything since then I missed?

he finished the first draft in 2013 and then went into a deep page 1 rewrite before submitting it. I don't know if there's additional editorial involved at the stage it is currently at before publication is set, or if that additional editorial was concurrent with the months of rewriting that has already occurred.

Speaking of, does anyone who follows publishing much more than I do have any good take on when we might get another update on the most unholiest of unholies? Either from the blog or elsewhere? I mean, we got that update that the manuscript was done. I do understand that there's still plenty of work from that point, but what's a reasonable timeline to where we might hear the next update whatever that might be? What comes next? Rewrites are completed? Editors are done? Release date set?

Well this is what is frustrating, because by now Bakker and his agent/editor will know what the plan is, but Bakker isn't coming out with any news. That manuscript done message was many months ago and I'm fairly confident that by now they know if it will be one book or needs to be two after all, probably a rough release date as well. There will have been some developments on this front. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a news update in June, it's been a long time without word. That's why when authors say "as soon as there's news I'll let you guys know" is not something people tend to take as gospel.

The secret story behind this post is "I don't like Bakker's blog."

It is spectacularly worthless for fans who want info about the fantasy series.

Spring 2015 is hilarious. These are GRRM level delays without GRRM level clout.

Well, perhaps the delay is on the publisher's side? I imagine that GRRM is the one holding up his work. He can submit a 3000 page manuscript and get it printed tommorrow physical realities of printing be damned. Who knows what deal Bakker has?

As for the blog: the reaction is actually becoming funny now.It's like a joke that has gone on long enough to go from funny to awkward and then back to funny.

But while we're talking about it: what answers do you expect from his blog? The only thing that we discuss (discussed, since even that well is dry) is the one thing that Bakker cannot explain:the metaphysical mystery. Seriously, how much info do you actually get from authors on the web? I wonder if the constant updates and tiny little mentions actually creates the illusion of progress or information.

I'm sure its on the publisher side. Even Rowling had a delay when she finished up a Harry Potter book, granted that was maybe weeks. Small Fish like Bakker(no insult intended) usually have to wait quite a long time, Glen Cook's 4th Instrumentality book just came out last month but was finished almost two years ago, and the fourth Dagger and Coin book was I believed also finished sometime last year. If you're not selling millions, you have to wait to be slotted in.

Who the fuck cares?

If it's GRRM level delays, then the response to those delays is the same: stop fucking whinging, it'll come when it comes

what answers do you expect from his blog? The only thing that we discuss (discussed, since even that well is dry) is the one thing that Bakker cannot explain:the metaphysical mystery.

I would like to know if there is finally going to be some payoff on the Soërwal, Bakker's teased us long enough with that one.

Archived