Green Apple Fossoways

Mithras

This house is founded by Raymun Fossoway after the events in the Hedge Knight. Both the green apple and the red apple Fossoways are listed as sworn swords and landed knights of the Tyrells. However, there are numerous great lords of the Reach marrying to Fossoways. How is that possible?

Another question. How do you think Raymun Fossoway earned his lands (New Barrel)? I think given his good friendship with Dunk and Egg, he joined battles with them later in some of the battles and Egg rewarded him.

George has stated that some landed knights are more powerful and influential than some minor lordlings, I wager that's the case for the Fossoways. They're basically married to second and third sons of big Reach families, so it could be the case of mighty lords marrying their subjects to assure loyalty and swords.

As to Raymun, could very well be that Egg granted him lands once he came to power (or maybe even Maekar). Raymun's bravery would be remembered, he wouldn't need to fight other battles to be recognized.

Maybe he distinguished himself in Blackfyre Rebellion III? New Barrel lands could've belonged to some lords who fought against the crown.

Yeah, that is likely it. He distinguished himself in battle with acts of courage and prowess, and it helps that he knew Egg or Aegon V. It could have been either him or Maekar who gave Raymun New Barrel.

George has stated that some landed knights are more powerful and influential than some minor lordlings, I wager that's the case for the Fossoways. They're basically married to second and third sons of big Reach families, so it could be the case of mighty lords marrying their subjects to assure loyalty and swords.

Exactly. Remember that Symond Templeton in the Vale is "just a knight" but he was still important enough to be one of the Knights Declerant-and could raise a thousand swords. Then while the Glovers of Deepwood Motte and the Tallharts of Torhenn's Square are of Masterly rather than Lordly rank they are still clearly two of the more esteemed Houses since their seats have strategic value and they themselves are reputed to be good vassals. It seems to me the Fossoway's occupy a similar status-they're technically "just knights" but for all practical purposes are considered nobility and making marital alliances with them is not only not contemptible but a worthwhile connection to a house of good reputation, probably some wealth, (depending how good their lands are,) and significance in the Reach.

Archived