How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7/10

The Dornish introduction was okay; some might argue that they tried too hard to show Oberyn's promiscuity and hatred for the Lannisters early on, but I was honestly expecting much worse. Pedro Pascal's performance wasn't as overly flamboyant as I had anticipated, which is a good thing.

I'm fed up of Dany and Daario already and can see the whole Meereen storyline being a complete bore. New Daario is definitely an improvement over the last, but the way they've homogenized his appearance still ruins the character for me.

The Dontos/Sansa scene was a very nice surprise. I wasn't expecting them to take his character any further than the name day celebration.

The tavern brawl was entertaining, though I found Arya's re-enactment of Lommy's murder a little bit corny.

Edited by Ilúvatar

Anyone else feel that Arya's murder of Tickler would have been more powerful on screen? The almost psychotic interrogation while stabbing him. I can really imagine Maisie Williams doing a great job of that. Not that the Polliver scene was bad, but it was underwhelming.

And secondly, what the hell! I preferred season 3 Daario! And that's saying a lot. There's absolutely no charm with this new guy.

I was surprised they recast Daario. The guy is probably my least favorite character in the entire series, but I thought Ed Skrein made him a lot more likable and interesting last season.

10/10, a great start for season 4. The opening scene with Tywin was epic. The dragons look amazing. I think the Tyrion and Oberyn convo was well done. It looks like Pod got really tall, lol. I'm glad they re-casted Mr. Daario, season 4 Daario is a massive upgrade. I'm glad Thorne and Janos returned, their scene with Jon and Aemon was well delivered. Cersei looks like she's starting to lose it, lol...Jaime did well, and ending with the Hound/Arya was an awesome choice. The music they used when Arya got involved was dark and edgy, it fit perfect. The White Book scene could be the show's best scene yet.

And that statue of Joff...I want that for my front yard.

? Your first two points could have easily been accomplished by having Tyrion and Oberyn talk more,

You know, talking ie. exposition is a hell of a lot less interesting than showing.

just like how the in the book that one scene completely defined Oberyn's character. He could have easily made a couple of sly references to Ellaria and their ambiguous sexual nature. Your third point can also be done in conversation, and he already clearly showed heavy dislike for the Lannisters in his short convo with Tyrion in the episode. And the fourth point... how is suddenly stabbing a guy in the hand fighting prowess?

What exactly would suffice for you to show fighting skill? I thought it was pretty slick how quickly he drew that dagger and incapacitated that Lannister clown.

Edited by raj34

A very solid 8 out of 10. The best premiere since season 1.

The good

- The Arthur Dayne and Duncan the Tall namedrops were so awesome. Easily my favourite things of the episode.

- Some of the Hound's lines were hilarious, like "what the fuck is a Lommy," "those people are cunts," and "I don't care if he ate your friend!"

- Cool to see the Dreadfort and Meereen in the intro.

- I may have had to suppress a little fanboy giggle when Doran and Sunspear were namedropped.

- The CGI at the end, of that whole war-torn landscape, was pretty amazing.

- Even though it was kind of random and short, I really liked the Sansa/Dontos scene. It was cool to have him hint at the history of House Hollard. And finally Sansa is getting back to her old, not-that-dumb self.

The meh

- Oberyn's introduction. The entire scene in the brothel was completely pointless and served no purpose. I also didn't like Oberyn brutally attacking that Lannister guy. Sure he was a dick, but c'mon. We will see Oberyn's a badass later.

- The Margaery/Brienne scene was completely pointless, since Margaery already doubted Brienne killed Renly, when Loras convinced her.

- Emilia continues to be an actress with zero range of tone and expression, and it made her scenes very dull.

- The Jaime/Tywin confrontation was a bit underwhelming compared to how I thought it would be.

The bad

- Olenna Tyrell is seriously getting very annoying and unfunny at this point. She is coming across less witty and more bitchy every episode.

When that's the only thing that's not that good about an episode though, I'm generally pretty happy. A really good premiere, and hopefully the season continues with this quality.

Agree 100% about Emilia. She was so good in Season 1 that I am honestly dumbfounded as to how God awful has become in absolutely every scene she's in. They may as well give her those purple lenses now since she's not conveying any emotion anyway...

I'd mentioned on a different thread that I think the discussion about Renly's death was put in to highlight Margaery's fickleness in contrast to Brienne's steadfast loyalty.

I was surprised they recast Daario. The guy is probably my least favorite character in the entire series, but I thought Ed Skrein made him a lot more likable and interesting last season.

Yeah this is just ridiculous! Fine, i can't expect the Daario from the books with the three pronged blue beard, golden mustache etc, but he needs to be a little flashy/showy, which Ed Skrein kinda was. I liked that Dany ended up attracted to him because it shows that she's still a young girl at heart.

I can't speak everyone, but personally want them to get rid of arrogant daario or at least make him successfully suave. Daario was hands down the worst character in the book, so making him like the book would be a mistake

I've never been a huge fan of Daario, but I liked old Daario a bit. He had a bit of arrogance to him without being all blue haired and ridiculous. I thought old Daario had a sort of edge to him that that made him unconventionally attractive, which I thought would make sense because you could believe Danny being all girlish and falling for him. This new dude though. Zero charisma.

I've never been a huge fan of Daario, but I liked old Daario a bit. He had a bit of arrogance to him without being all blue haired and ridiculous. I thought old Daario had a sort of edge to him that that made him unconventionally attractive, which I thought would make sense because you could believe Danny being all girlish and falling for him. This new dude though. Zero charisma.

Yup, you nailed it. Oh well, maybe this new Daario will grow on us.

In all honesty any carbon-based life form would be an improvement on the book Daario: swaggering around in his technicolor pantaloons, fondling his naked lady swords, contemplating which new shade to dye his mustachios... Arghggggh the douchefactor is completely off the charts.

Awesome episode. Oberyn was umatched. Sandor Clegane, as always with his badassery.. :drool: :drool: :drool: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Enjoyed the backstory glimpsed at about the knights of the kingsguard, Arthur Dayne and Duncan the Tall. A clear shoutout to the book fans.

10/10

I gave it a 9 - first in season is usually a bit disappointing, but this one had some jewels in it. Hound and chicken scene and Arya getting needle back as well as that horse she wanted. The statue of Joffery was hilarious. Oberyn is perfectly cast, I think. Master Aemon's line, "I grew up in King's Landing" and Jon's coming into his own.

But two things confused me: (1) has the actor playing Pod changed? He just didn't look the same. (2) what's the deal with Sansa's new handmaiden running to Cercei? Was that in the books?

I gave it a 9 - first in season is usually a bit disappointing, but this one had some jewels in it. Hound and chicken scene and Arya getting needle back as well as that horse she wanted. The statue of Joffery was hilarious. Oberyn is perfectly cast, I think. Master Aemon's line, "I grew up in King's Landing" and Jon's coming into his own.

But two things confused me: (1) has the actor playing Pod changed? He just didn't look the same. (2) what's the deal with Sansa's new handmaiden running to Cercei? Was that in the books?

Yeah the actor playing Pod looked different but it was the same person. He just had a haircut from previous seasons; its much shorter now. Handmaiden is just being used as a plot device so Cersei can find out about Shae for the trial.

9/10

I thought that this was clearly the most impressive season premiere of the series.

• Tywin's scene with Jaime had the potential to be fantastic, but it fell a little flat. (In comparison to my rather lofty expectations, anyway)
  • New Daario was pretty disappointing, I agree that Old Daario had a much better grasp of the character thus far. Hopefully Huisman will improve throughout the season.
  • The Thenns were VASTLY different than how I pictured them in the books. (Granted, I'm only halfway through AFFC) I'm not quite sure how I feel about them yet.
  • Didn't really expect to see Ser Dontos back in the story at all, but I'm glad he seems to be following the storyline in some ways.
  • Oberyn was phenomenal. Sure, the introduction scene was different, but it kind of had to be. You don't get to have Tyrion thought's tell you about Oberyn's personality, you have to see it firsthand. This scene allowed us to do that.
  • Lastly, the Hound was amazing. Oh my word, the lines he was giving had me on the floor. His fighting scene was also exactly how I pictured it though.

(For those who haven't read the books, there is a spoiler ahead)...

Here's a question though, since this Arya/Hound scene happened SO early, could we see Arya in Braavos in Season 4?

Edited by Oriolesmagic