How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it an 8 on the arbitrary number scale.

Pros:

First and last scenes

Joffrey

Joffrey statue

Hot ass Ellaria Sand

The wildling/Wall scenes were actually really good

Cons:

Too much relationship drama

All the Dany scenes were cringeworthy up until the crucified slave girl

Too much Sansa

A little exposition heavy

7/10. Decent opener.

Tywin's "disowning" of Jaime counts for a point lost though. It felt rushed and without any urgency on either of their parts. When Jaime mentioned being disowned, I was baffled; his entire conversation with Tywin felt watered down from the book equivalent and amounted to a relatively minor spat, without a whole lot said.

The really passive way they seeded Sansa's necklace irked me too. There should've been more emphasis put on the importance of her specifically wearing it at the wedding.

The really passive way they seeded Sansa's necklace irked me too. There should've been more emphasis put on the importance of her specifically wearing it at the wedding.

I think they're trying to avoid telegraphing to non-readers that something is afoot.

Then again, having Dontos suddenly show up kinda already does that.

7/10. Decent opener.

Tywin's "disowning" of Jaime counts for a point lost though. It felt rushed and without any urgency on either of their parts. When Jaime mentioned being disowned, I was baffled; his entire conversation with Tywin felt watered down from the book equivalent and amounted to a relatively minor spat, without a whole lot said.

I honestly didn't feel like Tywin had disowned Jaime. I felt his dissapointment, but it was more like "*Sigh* he's stubborn, but I still love the kid".

Now in the books, like you said, it was "I HAVE NO SON!!!" all the way.

Edited by Red Tiger

Am I the only one so far that DOESN'T like new Daario? I see people saying they like him. I really don't so far. I know it's early, but he's not arrogant enough, and he's missing that edge, that cocky swagger, the smirk, the walk. I don't know. I just don't know.

I have a feeling he will contemptuously kill the Champion of Meereen, maybe he will seem more swaggering then. But I kinda agree.

First of all, the nits should be addressed so they can be got out the way as soon as possible. I'm not too keen on the slightly PC-conscious whitewashing of the opportunistic (in the novels) Shae and Cersei. Everyone who's read the books will know that two of the scenes they are involved in treat their characters at odds with the way they actually behave in the book series, so I wonder how the writers are going to deal with Cersei's batshit zaniness when adapting her chapters in the fourth book. I'm not keen on the way the Thenns and the natives of Skagos were shoved together. On with the positives:

I think the casting and treatment of Oberyn is great, and has been well worth waiting for, and despite objectively not a massive deal happening in this episode, the diversity of scene and pacing meant that it just flew by. The final Arya and Sandor scene was excellent, though technically it actually arrived too soon in narrative-matching terms, which means that Arya will indeed be in Braavos by the end of the fourth season; it is shown in one of the trailers. Maisie Williams has grown into the progressing complexities of her character by growing into a very good actress. Oberyn is one of the only characters so far in the series whose physical appearance and general deportment are pretty much in keeping with the character in the books. The Daenarys scenes will just continue to get slower and slower, but the writers will just have to make the most of it. The dragons scene was very cool. We all know with the next episode what we're going to be in for, so if this episode were totally perfect, I'd still hesitate to give it full marks until I've viewed the second to compare them, but on its own terms I'm perfectly happy to give this one a nine. Probably the strongest opening episode we've had in Game of Thrones so far.

Darkbringer - I prefer the old Daario also. It might at least have been better if he looked physically similar to the one they had before, but even his body language is different. It's not the actor's fault, but until and unless he grows on me I think it's a miscast.

Edited by The Killer Snark

Gets a solid 8 from me, 8.5 let's say (though I didn't round up to a 9 on this occasion).

Great Oberyn intro, nice scenes with Jaime/Cersie/Olenna/Brienne at King's Landing. Stygg had a good introduction as well, there was a lot of exposition and introductions that's my main gripe really. It was the premiere though and thought they've never been amazing I's say this was the strongest opener since season 1. And the Joffrey statue! Lol.

Something wrong with you leg boy? The Hound and Arya's tavern brawl was obviously the stand out moment here, loved it, the whole scene was spot on. But I notice the Hound isn't wounded like he was in the book, look's like they're going to continue the road trip a little longer than expected.

Ser Dontos! At last, I doubt most watchers will have thought the scene anything but filler, they'll realise its importance shortly.

Dany's scenes were meh, but it's good to see the dragons have grown larger and I like the new Daario better than the old one, more charismatic, less slimy, which is good cos I ain't a fan of the Dany/Daario storyline as it is.

Great opener, sowed the seeds nicely for things to come, capped off with some kick ass revenge in its final moments.

7/10. Decent opener.

Maybe that's just me, but I'm assuming this won't be the Jaime/Tywin final confrontation. They were never going to settle it now, it's just episode 1.

Are we sure?

I read some speculation that they could have Stannis going to Braavos before he goes up to the wall.

Well that would piss me off.

Wildling attack at the Wall? The Night's Watch needs my help? Might as well take a detour to Braavos.

Though I suppose it would give him more screen time, which might actually be a bad thing, given D&D's track record.

Edited by Stannis Eats No Peaches

7/10. It's the premier, so it's never going to be too flashy but it's probably the best premier since the first season. Did it's job introducing the new characters and recapping what had been before, with a great final scene.

I'm going to give it a 9 due to some discrepancies.

The Oberyn scene was a little over the top, but his character is over the top. That's why he only lasts a short time in the books. He has to be established quickly and in an interesting way. We got everything we need to know about the Viper and the Dornish from that one scene.

Arya and the Hound, humorous. I am interested to see where they are taking their storyline, since I am assuming that inn was where he is originally wounded in the books.

Jon finally became an interesting character. In the show, he's always come across as an entitled butthole with no real personality. Maybe the actor took some classes or this scene just struck him right, because I was finally rooting for him.

The dragons looked good, and I don't think dragons are cool, haha, so props to the CGI team.

The new Daario is not Daario Naharis. I don't know why they refuse to work his character similar to the book Daario. This one is goofy and lighthearted. The flower thing was comical and not right for the character, but it is establishing his and Dany's relationship.

Arya's fighting was a little ridiculous at moments. There was no buildup to her being a competent fighter. She just suddenly was and it looked like a comic book adaptation.

My favorite season premier of all. SO happy my man Oberyn is in town.

Looking forward to next week's episode =)

7/10. Decent opener.

Being forewarned, I was prepared not to like it, but when I watched, I thought it was rather clever to have Jaime say No! so quietly. Yes, it was very different to the angry scene in the book, but that occurred almost immediately after Jaime returned to KL, just after the sept-sex scene and when Jaime is still furious about what he's just found out about the whole KL situation. The show's altered timeline means he's been in KL a little while before this scene. I got the impression that Tywin was almost expecting Jaime to be angry and was prepared to deal with that - he seemed almost disconcerted when Jaime was so calm about things. Having successfully bullied Cersei and Tyrion in Season 3, I don't think Tywin expected Jaime of all people to say no to him in such measured terms. Yes, it's a shame we didn't get the 'I don't want your Rock' and 'You are not my son!' bits but I am sure there is plenty of room left for Tywin/Jaime drama.

Edited by Currawong