How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Voted it an 8. Watched it twice. :D

Didn't care for the Thenns being made into cannibals. Was that ever in the book??

They stand out enough as they are!

Wasn't sure about Jon's reaction to Robb's murder. Thought it would have hit him more. Seems he's just moved on to bigger problems - maybe that's the point, though.

LOVED, OTOH, the tavern scene. Loved in a squicky way, actually, since Arya's dispatching of the people was so... deliberate and calculated and quiet. Not at all like the Hound's slash and pummel - which of course stands to reason. He's practically a giant and she's a little girl. But man, that was brutal to watch. I almost turned away - which even the Red Wedding didn't make me do. It certainly cemented the way Arya's character is turning out.

Loved Marjorie (sp?) I enjoy watching her almost as much as any other character - certainly more than Cersei.

ETA: Oh, and what the hell are they doing to Daario Naharis? I don't get his character at ALL.

Edited by Tears of Lys

8/10

A very solid start of this season. I have to say how surprised I was by the incredible improvement in Kit Harington's acting. Finally :thumbsup:. The whole scene with the "trial" was delightful to watch.

All in all, I couldn't wait for next week (Jack Gleeson will be surely missed; the way he acted in that scene with the White Book was both amazing and hilarious, such a pity that he means to quit his career)

9/10

Obviously there's always going to be a lot of exposition and slow building in a first episode, but overall they did a good job of it and it was probably the 2nd best pilot behind the show's first ever episode. Placing the tavern scene at the end was clever; they knew that they had given a lot of exposition and talking in the episode, but managed to keep interest with some good action at the end.

There was an awful lots of exposition...every single moment except Arya's fight in fact. Every single character felt the need to say, "Hey, here's what happened to me in season two" except for Oberyn (who wasn't saying that and had a lovely delivery). I felt bored. New confrontations Olenna-Margaery, Brienne-Jaime-Sansa and Brienne-Margaery had potential, but they all fell flat. Jaime shrugs off his debt to Sansa and Brienne has no good answer...in the current circumstances she could walk up to Sansa and vow to protect her or ask if she wants to escape. The necklace scene was pointless (except for the apt line about dead sparrows) and who honestly still cares about Renly? Okay, Brienne, but the Brienne-Loras confrontation from the book was more interesting because they both cared. Margaery doesn't. And the White Book had far less point than in the books, though Joff shows he's a jerk to everyone. All right, King's Landing characters got their cameos and showed off the relationships, but nothing moved forwards. Maybe a 4

Obviously you have the right to your opinion, but it seems like you missed the point of a lot of the scenes about which you're complaining (which may help explain why you didn't enjoy them).

If you've read the books then you should know exactly why the necklaces matter and why Margaery's apathy toward her dead husband is relevant.

I'm really confused about some of you being disappointed with the tavern fight. I thought it was great.

I thought the tavern scene was much better than the brothel scene with Oberyn, I had some small problems with it but it helped nudge the episode up to a 7. Oberyn was too over the top, I'd have liked it if they had eased into things a little bit more with him. Still overall they got more things right than wrong.

Gave it an 8. The episode, did a great job in setting up the rest of the season. Fine work, by all the actors. For me being a Jon fan in the books, I really loved his scene in the episode and the job Kit did. For the most part, I haven't been pleased with Kit's job....until last night. His voice was deeper and more forceful and he seemed really sure of him self. I hope it's a sign of things to come, from Kit. The Hound and Arya stole the entire episode.

DarkGeomancer - Yeah, the cannibalism thing seemed off to me; the other wildlings still have standards. I dislike it when the writers tone things down, but it tends to seem a bit incongruous and self-conscious when they try to make certain things more lurid than in the books. I'm reminded of Stannis' jarred foetus collection in that infamous moment in season 3.

Arya's fighting was a little ridiculous at moments. There was no buildup to her being a competent fighter. She just suddenly was and it looked like a comic book adaptation.

You seem to have forgotten all those hours and hours of practice with her "dancing master" ...

I'd give it an 8. It included some of my favorite scenes in the book, tywin and Jaime discussing his future, and the brawl at the inn. I thought it was funny Arya in GoT broke from the books for this scene but the show reminded me if the recent "mercy" chapter that was released. Plus all dragon scenes are welcome. I appreciate that they include small details from the books, like Daario bringing Dany flowers from the countryside and the 163 "road markers" looking forward to seeing Meereen get sacked.

Does any1 feel like what Oberyn said about Rhaegar, the name drop of Ser Arthur Dayne and the blue rose are hints for R+L = J?

I think the show has slowly started filling in the history of Westeros, and last night was the first time anyone mentioned Lyanna Stark in years. Rhaegar has been referenced a lot on the show though

DarkGeomancer - Yeah, the cannibalism thing seemed off to me; the other wildlings still have standards. I dislike it when the writers tone things down, but it tends to seem a bit incongruous and self-conscious when they try to make certain things more lurid than in the books.

Yeah, and it would be "okay" if they choose some random clan to be cannibal, but aren't the Thenns the more westerosi clan?