How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Yeah, and it would be "okay" if they choose some random clan to be cannibal, but aren't the Thenns the more westerosi clan?

In theory yeah, but there's only so many clans you can put in the show and expect people to follow along. And what few clans you do include have to be noticably distinct.

I'm not sure about the cannibalism thing either, but I don't mind the idea of them changing the Thenns a bit.

Edited by Warhawk137

Do we know if this premiere's ratings record broke last seasons?

Just announced 6.6M viewers for last night which crushes the old record. Biggest audience for an HBO episode since the 2007 finale of the Sopranos.

For perspective, S3 premiered to 4.4M viewers and the most they had in any episode for S3 was 5.5M.

This show can write it's own ticket now. Even if viewership drops off in subsequent seasons, it's a bonafide megahit now and will surpass The Sopranos easily this year has HBO's most-watched show. And we're not even mentioning the HBOGo watchers who fucking crashed the server last night.

Edited by King Tommen

Just announced 6.6M viewers for last night which crushes the old record. Biggest audience for an HBO episode since the 2007 finale of the Sopranos.

That's outstanding. Picked up about 2 million viewers since the first episode of last season and over 1 million since the finale.

Which happened over a year ago and she has no real practice with. You don't know this, but swords are heavy, and little Arya has not had any practice with real blades.

Real-life swords aren't actually THAT heavy (even a large two-handed sword would be less than ten pounds), and as I recall the point of the heavy wooden training sword was to build up her strength.

Edited by Warhawk137

Thought this was a good, solid premiere. I gave it 8/10.

I'm glad it did so well in the ratings. So many shows have a drop off in the numbers when they've been around for 3 seasons, so this is an encouraging sign.

For perspective, S3 premiered to 4.4M viewers and the most they had in any episode for S3 was 5.5M.

This show can write it's own ticket now. Even if viewership drops off in subsequent seasons, it's a bonafide megahit now and will surpass The Sopranos easily this year has HBO's most-watched show. And we're not even mentioning the HBOGo watchers who fucking crashed the server last night.

OMG AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! 7 SEASONS FOR SURE!!! LOL

8/10

The good:

- the opening scene with the destruction of Ice

- more Lannister family drama

- lots of setting up Shae's future role

- Sansa and Jon reacting to the RW

- Oberyn and Ellaria (all of their scenes) :drool:

- Olenna being nonchalantly awesome

- Arya getting Needle back

- Sansa's hairnet replacement

- Aemon's answer to how he can tell lies from truths :laugh:

- Drogon snapping at Dany

The bad:

- very dialogue-heavy and slow (as is normal for the season opener)

- don't like what they did with the Thenns

- the scene between Joffrey, Meryn and Jaime was completely underwhelming

The ugly:

- Jaime's golden hand looked completely different in my head

Edited by Seneti

I agree. This might be my favorite premiere or at least tied with the series premiere. I thought the pacing was perfect. At the end of each scene I thought to myself I can't wait to see what happens next! So naturally I am already dying to see what happens in episode 2.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

7/10.

I liked the Arya fight scene at the inn; Tywin reforging Ice (incredible with that music); Sansa had also some good scenes; I like where they are going with Shae; Nikolaj's acting is amazing, mainly in that scene with Cersei; a strange Thenns introduction, not sure about that roasted arm, but not overly disappointing or anything like that; the Jon Snow scene was well-done; that crucified child was pretty creepy. The Oberyn introduction was fine, I enjoyed the scene where he talked with Tyrion alone the most, Pedro Pascal will be great throughout the whole season, I think. I guess I will re-watch it.

Overall, a solid episode with some great moments and amazing acting, it is noticeable they have more money for CGI, which is great and the episode follows the finale of the third season very nicely. Of course there are some lines and moments that will feel cheesy or out-of-character but I think it is unavoidable in the premiere episode considering casual and new viewers, nothing particularly bad, as I say. It sets up great things to come and contains many highlight moments. :)

9/10

Loved it!!

The best "first episode" since season 1. Also, the best season opening scene since season 1.

I loved pretty much everything - Oberyn, Ellaria, Drogon answering back to his mother, Ser Dontos, Queen Arya. I even liked Jon Snow in this episode.

Can I just say season 4 Daario Naharis is like a million times better than the season 3 Daario? I actually found him...likeable for the first time. Huge improvement.

I wish they would have carried on with the foursome scene though. That was really hot. What a tease!

Shae is officially the most annoying character in the series. I just can't stand her. Her scenes are painful to watch. I miss Ros so much...

Can someone please tell me where was the dragon scene filmed? Such beautiful scenery. I wanna go there.

Also, I was a bit surprised that Dan Weiss directed this episode all by himself (!!). Well done, Mr Weiss, well done!!