How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 10. I loved it.

The intro with Ice was melancholic to the max. It was kind of like the final farewell to poor Ned. And the burning of the wolf pelt with a gloating Tywin - the symbolism was through the roof.

So much awesomeness: Jon Snow burning Slynt, Jaime standing up to Tywin, Oberyn making Lannister soldiers shit their pants, Sansa's grief and turmoil, the epic darkness and badassness of the Thenns, and of course the little killing spree by the Stark and the Hound, with Arya getting some sweet revenge. I was cheering.

The only aspect I didn't enjoy was the new Dario. So far the recasting blows. The previous actor was physically imposing, looked like a badass, walked and talked like a badass, exuded confidence and poise, and seemed so natural.

So far the new actor seems very timid and meek.

Edited by Stone Cold Bastard

I'm not sure if we watched the same show here on this forum. I found the episode to be cluttered, and an unruly exposition of plot lines. I could go my whole life without more homosexual activity on the show, but, HBO is very pc and ruining tv with this crap. Sansa's exchange with Dontos was lame, Joffery's exchange with Jaime was lame, dragon and new Daario were lame. This will be the worst season for GOT. I wish GRRM would quit TV and start writing!

Thought this was clearly the best of the Episode 1s.

I think they've learned something about introducing characters and establishing character arcs for the season. One thing that has been lacking for their writing is giving the audience some sense of where things are going -- the signals don't have to always be where you end up, but in a show like this, if you don't give the audience a sense of a character's arc as it starts, it seems meandering.

Here, in almost every storyline, they said "This is what this season is about" and did it both obviously and in a subtle manner. We know what Oberon's about. We know Jon's arc is about Mance lighting the biggest fire the nothing has ever seen (and about how some of the wildlings aren't as nice as Tormund). We know Dany's story will be about Meereen but also Daario.

We know Tyrion's trying to distance himself from Shae and what's going on with Jaime. We know what the Tyrells are up to. We know that Arya is heading to the Twins, but more importantly, she's heading down a path of revenge.

Some people will think of this as transparent, but when you spend only an hour with each character all season...it's just necessary. It's clarity and it creates tension and anticipation, rather than bewilderment.

And for the most part, it was elegantly done.

Sorry about the miscue

I saw the blue rose as a nod to an item seen in other GRRM works representing, I think, love. So she can't be even the only GRRM character with one. I, personally, Squeee 'd over it. A castle made of sand with beetlish critters in the desert *might* have made me happier. Or an ice dragon in the backgound of a North of the Wall scene but that's just me. I wonder if that red flower will make into a skybox?

I'm not sure if we watched the same show here on this forum. I found the episode to be cluttered, and an unruly exposition of plot lines. I could go my whole life without more homosexual activity on the show, but, HBO is very pc and ruining tv with this crap. Sansa's exchange with Dontos was lame, Joffery's exchange with Jaime was lame, dragon and new Daario were lame. This will be the worst season for GOT. I wish GRRM would quit TV and start writing!

Not sure if trolling...Have you read the books?

The show runners said they'd be thrown in jail if they showed some of the book sex scenes.

The Dontos scene was nearly right out of the book. What was cut was the meetings she'd been having with him. Also instead of him ratting Sansa out to LF - ah I can't recall how that happened. Anyway the cover story for the necklace fit the books pretty well and gives her a reason to wear it - she is romantic and sentimental and kind - he's sposed to be at the wedding,

I found old Daario too much (as he should be) and I had JUST watched his intro ep. but just when I got used to him they threw in this more understated guy. But I'm getting to trust D & D.

I gave it an 8.

Few things I didn't like that much:

- Tyrion meeting Dornish guys in the middle of nowhere felt weird

- Brienne's scenes (she doesn't belong to KL at all)

- Dontos randomly returning (from the show POV, after being absent from S3)

- Olleana Tyrell - I don't share general opinion how funny she is

- Shae licking Tyrion's finger

What I loved:

- Jon was better than ever before, his best scene so far (or maybe its better to say Kit was better than ever before)

- Thenns were scary and Magnar was great (and I didn't mind their canibalism - changes like this make the show even more interesting to watch)

- Thorne (much better balanced than I remember him from the books, where he seemed like an ordinary villain)

- Ygritte/Tormund exchange

- Joffrey being Joffrey

- Sansa

- Dragons!

Oberyn was great. Tywin/Jamie scene felt weaker than I expected, but I guess it wasn't their last scene. I don't share common excitment from the Arya/Hound scene (somehow it seems to me that people are just happy that Arya and Hound kill some people), but it was obviously very good.

Overall great episode.

Two questions:

1. Can somebody remind me what were Cercei/Qyburn talking about (symptoms dialogue).

2. Does anybody have a clue how long it is possible to hold dagger/arakh/sword the way that GW/Dario did (for a strong man)?

Edited by Lord of Winterhell

Homophobia much?

A solid 8 outta 10. I just felt like it wasn't as intense as last season's premiere. But there's so many good lines in this episode it's easy to overlook the fact that it had barely any action scenes. It's setting up the season and introducing the characters; I'm sure the future episodes will make up for this one being a bit slow. Really enjoyed it overall.

Homophobia much?

I'm actually surprised at the disapproval Oberyn being Bisexual has caused.

It's so hypocritical, in the books you have Dany and Cersei kissing other woman and on the show you have lesbian whore scenes. However, the moment you have two guys at it people freak out. :rolleyes: