How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

In some ways, Arya's killing of Poliver in the S4 premier has more in common with her killing of Raff the Sweetling in the recently released Mercy chapter than it does with anything in the source chapter from ASOS (e.g., her revealing her identity to him through references to his earlier murder of her friend, her cooly inserting the sword through the throat). Is it possible Martin put the WoW chapter out there just ahead of the premier airing just so there would be no mistake about which scene was written first and by whom... ? And more importantly perhaps - she seems to have become this cool assassin over night - are they streamlining her transformation here, and if so why?

Edited by Oldgodsnewtricks

In some ways, Arya's killing of Poliver in the S4 premier has more in common with her killing of Raff the Sweetling in the recently released Mercy chapter than it does with anything in the source chapter from ASOS (e.g., her revealing her identity to him through references to his earlier murder of her friend, her cooly inserting the sword through the throat). Is it possible Martin put the WoW chapter out there just ahead of the premier airing just so there would be no mistake about which scene was written first and by whom... ? And more importantly perhaps - she seems to have become this cool assassin over night - are they streamlining her transformation here, and if so why?

Just noticed the Mercy connection was commented on much earlier, sorry bout that - anyway, loved the scene.

I loved it, and love that HBO keeps rerunning it. With watching all the run-up episodes to this Season 4, I am impressed at how far-seeing the show runners were -- many things from season 1 are tied in, this far down the line.

I do, however, want very much to own a t-shirt with The Hound's visage and the words, "A man's gotta have a code. . . " (not sure if those were exact words, but close enough).

Counting down till Sunday night and episode 2, torn between wearing my Ghost Pale Ale shirt and dressing completely in purple. Anyway, I thought the story lines were all good, didn't register much of the Red Viper in the books but what an impact on the show. The Breinne/Jaimie interlude was understated but spot-on; Sansa is finally heading in a tolerable direction, Shae is finally heading in her direction of doom, and Dany is finally getting the hint that ruling is more than standing around proclaiming all your titles--not to mention that parenthood ain't always easy.

Ooops--sorry, meant to say that Shae is finally heading in a direction of doom; I've never trusted her character, don't know what's in store for her but wish she would have gotten on that ship back to wherever her mysterious origins were. . . though I do appreciate her devotion to Sansa, now that Sansa is building a spine. . .

Have at it!

Hey Ran! gosh I'm talking to the truly impressive now (blush). Anyway, hate to ask more of you, but could you please post a current tally of the votes every couple days? At least til episode two, that is... I for one would love that! :D

*edit* DOH! I'm such an idiot.. :dunce: The tally was right at the top the whole time. sorry to pester you

Edited by Dolorous Lothston

2/10 I hated those Thenn.

And I thought I was being harsh!

I give it a 4.

Last season really got me down with all the filler. Almost a whole damn ep. about Theon escaping/not escaping and being made into Reek... really?

THe only real action here was the fight at the Inn... and a bloody good show it was!

But the adulation over Arya turning into a wanton, heartless killer, I just don't get it. Seems to be the most common fate for anyone still alive in Westeros, to tell you the truth.

Maybe Stannis will make it to the Wall this season.

Maybe.

But the adulation over Arya turning into a wanton, heartless killer, I just don't get it.

Something really seems to have missed the mark here. After so many people wanting to see a Stark, and Arya in particular, start to fight back, when it happens they appear to get put off by it.

A podcast I follow had the same reaction. The season preview episode lamented the amount of time before 'Arya finally strikes back - it has been hinted for 3 seasons now. They need to make it happen"

* Arya gets stabby*

Ep1 Review podcast "The whole Arya deal was creepy and I was really put off by the triumphant music" - and this was one week after they called for Arya to start getting stabby. They got their wish and promptly turned their noses up at it.

A podcast I follow had the same reaction. The season preview episode lamented the amount of time before 'Arya finally strikes back - it has been hinted for 3 seasons now. They need to make it happen"

* Arya gets stabby*

Ep1 Review podcast "The whole Arya deal was creepy and I was really put off by the triumphant music" - and this was one week after they called for Arya to start getting stabby. They got their wish and promptly turned their noses up at it.

If we're talking about the same podcast: the "non-reader host" was complaining about the triumphant music, but the "reader host" disagreed with him. I kind of agree that the music was a touch too triumphant, when viewed in isolation, but in the scene as a whole I think it was pretty clear that we weren't supposed to view Arya's turn as 100% a good thing.

Personally, I thought Arya throughout that scene was brilliant. You're half cheering for what she's doing, and you're half mournful about the tragedy of her becoming a child assassin. I loved too the contrast between her fighting style and the Hound's - he's all grubby and in the dirt and not the least bit graceful, whereas Arya's trying to be an artist with moves more reminiscent of dance than combat. She's trying to make killing a work of art, which in a way makes it even more profoundly disturbing.

Good catch. I totally missed that, as I apparently miss almost all music except for "Rains of Castermere."

To be honest I am not one to pay attention to the score very often... but Chen is right on to it (normally) and has taught me to appreciate it. Its striking though, that the previous week he was bemoaning the lack of Ayra action, then once it happened he jumped straight to a discussion of the score, but completely missed what had really been done with the music.

I give it a 4.

Last season really got me down with all the filler. Almost a whole damn ep. about Theon escaping/not escaping and being made into Reek... really?

THe only real action here was the fight at the Inn... and a bloody good show it was!

But the adulation over Arya turning into a wanton, heartless killer, I just don't get it. Seems to be the most common fate for anyone still alive in Westeros, to tell you the truth.

That's how Maisie sees it too. I'm holding out hope she isn't really evil at the core (and she shouldn't be with her psychological background) but just has a touch of PTSD and is in total survival mode.

Having Reek escape again seems superfluous. BTDT.

I give it a 4.

Maybe Stannis will make it to the Wall this season.

Maybe.

You must have rated every season about 4?

Neither the books nor the show are comic books superhero stories or 300 silly-fied action mashuups.

Haven't been around for ages (forgot my password yet again - so sorry, Elio!), I gave this a 9. Probably the best Premier since Season 1. I don't have many complaints, but I took a point off for clunky scenes: 1) Brienne meeting the Tyrell girls - WTF? 2) Emilia, after 4 years, has got no better at all! That recoil she did from Drogon's attack was the best acting she's done since Day One.

I wasn't bothered by new Daario, folks. I hated him in the books, so I'm not invested in him and couldn't really care less who plays him. But at least this new guy can act a bit.

Same with the Thenns for me. Just another wildling group - they all started to blend into one in the books for me, but I thought the Magnar was well played.

Oberyn and The Hound stole this one for me.

And now I've got the wine in for Episode 2. Must toast the wedding of King Joffrey of the House Baratheon, First of his Name. :)

Nice to be back among you all - I've missed you. And where's Patrick Stormborn? His posts kill me :)

Edited by Drogon's Personal Trainer

601 votes, average of 8.17, normalized score (removing the top and bottom 5%) of 8.29.

It's an interesting trend that it's gradually fallen a tiny bit as the voting wears on. I suppose those who did not rush to watch the premiere may have, in general, had more laid back feelings about it without all the hype being a factor.