How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Arya had the best scenes. The money shot for this episode was when she finally got involved in the fight and shoved the longsword in his chest.

Dragons looked cool. Slightly soured by Jorah the walking prop showing up.

Jon facing the court and I loved that they brought back Janos Slynt. I was not expecting that. As well as the guy out of Stella. Good scene and a good part by Jon.

I like that Sansa met Ser Dontos. A little forced how it occurs, but I loved the expression on her face and it felt like it gave her some agency in accepting this guys gift.

Jamie was great to see, wise cracking with Brienne, Tywin and Joffery. White book references were cool as well.

Reforging ice was a great way to reintroduce the series.

The dead child pointing at Meereen was really dark, especially with how in your face it was being up there crucified.

Bad points

Azog...THE DEFILER

All the tyrell stuff. Unneccesary.

Oberyns introduction in the brothel.

Other things

I won't complain about the scene with Daario and Dany in of itself. I think Emilia Clarke actually shows quite a lot of nuance and the writing does address that what hes doing is corney but she says "you're a gambler" and she does talk shit to him but he persists. It works. But I dislike what this says about season 4 and the differences which have and are being made about the TV show.

Tyrion kind of fell flat for me which is odd. He felt more like a prop to introduce Oberyn and seemed so anxious in every scene it was off putting.

Wicked awesome, good job setting up the Sansa/Dontos amethyst plot and establishing the Martells. Casting for both Oberyn and Elleria is ON POINT. The scene in the tavern with the Hound and Arya is epic. My only complaint is that I am not into Daario 2.0. Everything else was pretty great.

10/10

I hope the Hound got his chicken

Check the final bit.

I was wondering how everyone knew PW was coming up ... Apparently I clicked off when the credits started running. Saw the previews on second viewing.

So since I watched it again I have to give it a 20.

"you're a talker"

Edited by rmholt

Check the final bit.

I was wondering how everyone knew PW was coming up ... Apparently I clicked off when the credits started running. Saw the previews on second viewing.

So since I watched it again I have to give it a 20.

"you're a talker"

I'm more towards a 10 out of 10 having watched it again. My fave was when Arya complains that he isn't a thief, but he'll kill a kid and The Hound responds with, "Man's gotta have a code". Ooooph. I almost fainted. :D

Edited by Wolfox6

Rewatched and I'm giving it an 8.

Other than NuDaario - which I don't count against this episode because it's not something specific to this one - I don't have any real complaints about this episode and it did have a lot of strong stuff. In particular: I loved every single part of the introduction to Oberyn; the opening scene with Tywin was absolutely perfect; Sandor/Arya was fantastic; the Jaime/Cersei dialogue was remarkable; Kit and Janos's actor (whose name I don't know) were great. The melting down of ice and the introduction to Oberyn were without a doubt the best parts of the episode for me.

I'd give it, like, a 7.75 if I could.. but that rounds up to 8.

9/10 - Best premier since "Winter is Coming". I loved Arya's scene at the end, and all of Sansa's scenes. Tyrion was great as usual, and Oberyn is really weird. Dany's storyline was a bit boring (the dragons were awesome though!) but other than that the episode was really good. A promising start.

Gave it an 8.

Pro's

Oberyn has the right amount of swagger. I'm pretty much sold on him from 1 episode.

Drogon looked amazing!

Dunk reference.

New Daario.

Arya and the Hound.

Con's

Sansa being chased through the Godswoods like a bad horror movie.

Tyrion and Shae.

Edited by Nictarion

Gave it an 8.

Pro's

Oberyn has the right amount of swagger. I'm pretty much sold on him from 1 episode.

Drogon looked amazing!

Dunk reference.

New Daario.

Arya and the Hound.

Con's

Sansa being chased through the Godswoods like a bad horror movie.

Tyrion and Shae.

New!Daario icon FTW!

I gave it a 5 .There were a few things I was shaking my head about. Oberyn sauntering into kings landing and basically

revealing his motivations like a bad scooby doo villain .He would be aware of what happened to Ned stark even with hundreds of

his personal guard he wouldn't be secure enough to be so openly belligerent..There are too many tell it like it is Characters not enough Characters that play their cards close to their chest.I thought the actor who played Oberyn was spot on just didn't like what he had to work with, I don't believe he would of confided in Tyrion.I don't know why no one in Westeros knows a song other than Rains of Castamere , They didn't need to have him stab

some random Lannister soldier in the wrist to understand that he is dangerous man and a great warrior.Talking of another great warrior, Loras Tyrell

its a shame D&D have continued to shit all over this Character he was never such a laughing stock in the books as they portrayed him as in the show,

now they have his own grandmother calling him a silly little boy and laughing at the idea of him being defeated by Brienne. That entire scene with Olenna,Margery and Brienne was so pointless and contrived. Is it just me or has Shae been moaning at Tyrion for 3 seasons now? Why would he

be in love with her she's hardly fun to be around.They dropped the ball with their portrayal of that relationship. Arya in the Tavern I thought her delivery

was a little off it was as if she were reading it from a piece of paper rather than actually mimicking what he had said to Lommy but that's the Directors fault entirely.The fenns, I loved the description one poster gave of them being like the bad guy from the Highlander movie .It was as if his instructions were to have as deep a voice as possible stand like a bad scifi movie villain and just look dangerous.The new Daario had all the screen presence of a wet blanket.

Positives, kit Harrington delivered one of his best performances .The hound was fantastic "what the fucks a Lommy" Is a line I will be laughing about for a while.The dragons looked incredible and the girl nailed to the post looked as gruesome as I had imagined it from the books..I don't buy Jaime not staying

true to his oath , They ruined his character,The whole episode was a little too slow overall.

To prove my total nerdliness I watched the preview in slo mo. Is that supposed to be Oberyn dueling the Mtn? That didn't look like a spear at all. The clanging. I wonder if Tyrion's trial will be skipped altogether and PW blamed on Oberyn? Bc there just does not seem to be enough time if that preview was for next week . Tho who knows?? Maybe it's Jaime practicing with Ilyn Payne <G>

10/10 Can't emphasize how much I loved this premier. Great performances, amazing sets, and getting the important points from the books in. Wow! Great Job!

The funnest thing to me is noticing what the tv scripts leave out from the books, and what they include. I'm hooked on unraveling some of the many mysteries left in the books, and see what the show finds important to include and unimportant enough to omit helps me sift out some of the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the mysteries GRRM left us in the books.

Yeah, HBO! Brilliant episode.

I give it a solid 8/10

Seriously best premiere episode since season 1's "Winter is Coming".

Things I loved:

-Reforging of Ice. I was so angry reading what Tywin did to the stark's heirloom, seeing it added more fuel to that fire! :angry:

-Jaime and Tywin's scene.

-Sansa.

-Arya and The Hound.

-Olenna Tyrell throwing the necklace (possibly the one Dontos gives Sansa for PW? :dunno: )

-Oberyn and Ellaria's introduction.

-Drogon snapping at Daenerys.

Things I didn't like:

-Jon talking about how jealous he was of Robb.

-More Tyrion whitewashing.

-Dany and Daario because this is going to be torturous lol.

7.5, so rounded to 8.

I liked most of the King's Landing plot. Lena Hedley is just incredible as Cersei, as good as Joffrey, so good that I'm not sure who I dislike more. The Ser Boros, Brienne and Margaery parts were OK, and I absolutely loathe Shae. The forging of the swords were done overly theatrical for my taste.

The Oberyn Martell cast was brilliant. He's just as "suave" as I found him to be in the book (although a bit too muscly, but that is just nit-picking).

The Thenn introduction I did not like (and the "I fucking hate Thenns" I particularly didn't like), but I can see why they chose to merge the people og Skagos and Thenns (although not sure how this eventually will influence Rickon's storyline, if there ever is one). The rest of the Wall storyline were enjoyable.

The Daenerys in Mereen I quite liked, although not much happened. Watching the first dead child wearing a collar pointing towards excited me more than I thought it would, especially when she commented "remove their collars, and bury them" (I can't remember if the collars were mentioned in the book, but that was a nice touch). Should not be long until they arrive at Mereen then, with only 163 miles to go. Judging for the episode titles, it would seem that in episode 3 Mereen will be smashed.

The Arya and the Hound part was the best. I did remember missing The Tickler there, but having read here on the forums, apparently he died in series 2 (although I can't remember that particular scene). The fight was good, and Arya yelling at Polliver rather than The Tickler more than made up for it.

Edited by Normannen

I think you have to spilt the story lines.

Tywin's opening while a lot different from the books, was very good, made since from the shows POV of the character. 9/10

Tyrion/ Oberyn storylines while different from the books, worked really well, and stayed true to spirit of the story. 10/10

Arya and The Hound was damn near perfect, but isn't the Hound suppose to be wounded? 10/10

Jaime and Brienne being there before the wedding sucks, but the did ok w/ those storylines ( while Brienne story will get back on track, I think they messed up a big part of Jaime's, the guilt at not have the chance to talk to Joffery was something that weighed heavily on him, and at least part of the what came between him and Cersei, neither of which can be ever be fixed) I also think that Jaime not having being told that Cersei is just using him is really bad for the storylines. 6/10

Dany and the Slave cities is too rushed, focusing on the wrong things, and almost a have been better to skip those scenes, in favor of picking it back up later in the storyline. 6/10

8/10

Over 480 votes in, and it's averaging 8.25. Removing the top and bottom 5% yields an 8.36. Median score remains 8, increasing its margin a bit since I last posted a summary.

I'm actually surprised at the disapproval Oberyn being Bisexual has caused.

It's so hypocritical, in the books you have Dany and Cersei kissing other woman and on the show you have lesbian whore scenes. However, the moment you have two guys at it people freak out. :rolleyes:

The lack of subtlety, same as with Loras and Renly, was what peeved me.