How would you rate episode 402?

Ran

How would you rate episode 402?  

640 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I give it a 8 and think it was generally satisfying. Better than the RW.

I was hoping it would be more chaotic and that Joffrey would be more

foaming at the mouth making a fool of himself crazy. The Queen of

Thorns & Oberyn were very good.

Jaime/Bronn was good.

Cersei/ Brienne scene. WTF?

Fat Walda! Hopefully, Ramsay won't kill her. She's one of the less

odious Freys and harmless. The actor that plays Roose is very good.

Mel/Shireen scene, blah. Not sure where they're going with Selyse.

But I doubt they hired a name actress like Tara Fitzgerald to just

be unpleasant boring book Selyse.

Cersei/Brie = you are right. Let the shipping begin as Martin wrote that.

I was also hoping for the "Don't make me rue..." line. I thought that scene was a little soft.

For me, this episode had quite a few disappointments. I was watching in Chicago with friends who had not read the books, and from that perspective Bran's vision made no sense. I in addition to the scene with Roose being soft, I think dontos's come-with-me-if-you-want-to-live was ill timed. I can't believe no one would see that when all eyes are on the royal family. Over all everything seemed rushed.

Only a 6/10 from me.

The start of the episode reminded me how disappointed I am with the casting and portrayal of the Boltons.

I wasn't overly impressed by the royal wedding either. New Tommen was an irritating distraction that undermined the whole affair, and for some reason I found Joffrey and Tyrion's standoff a lot less tense than some of their previous spats. The death scene wasn't as underwhelming as I feared it might have been, but they still could have done more to make it as horrific as the books.

Only a 6/10 from me.

The start of the episode reminded me how disappointed I am with the casting and portrayal of the Boltons.

I wasn't overly impressed by the royal wedding either. New Tommen was an irritating distraction that undermined the whole affair, and for some reason I found Joffrey and Tyrion's standoff a lot less tense than some of their previous spats. The death scene wasn't as underwhelming as I feared it might have been, but they still could have done more to make it as horrific as the books.

As to your last point, really? I never read it as gruesome as this. More frantic maybe, but I thought the visual was spot on.

As to your last point, really? I never read it as gruesome as this. More frantic maybe, but I thought the visual was spot on.

This description of the events sounds way more horrific to me:

"Joffrey began to claw at his throat, his nails tearing bloody gouges in the flesh. Beneath the skin, the muscles stood out hard as stone. Prince Tommen was screaming and crying.

He is going to die, Tyrion realized. He felt curiously calm, though pandemonium raged all about him. They were pounding Joff on the back again, but his face was only growing darker. Dogs were barking, children were wailing, men were shouting useless advice at each other. Half the wedding guests were on their feet, some shoving at each other for a better view, others rushing for the doors in their haste to get away.

Ser Meryn pried the king's mouth open to jam a spoon down his throat. As he did, the boy's eyes met Tyrion's. He has Jaime's eyes. Only he had never seen Jaime look so scared. The boy's only thirteen. Joffrey was making a dry clacking noise, trying to speak. His eyes bulged white with terror, and he lifted a hand... reaching for his uncle, or pointing... Is he begging my forgiveness, or does he think I can save him? "Noooo," Cersei wailed, "Father help him, someone help him, my son, my son..."

This description of the events sounds way more horrific to me:

"Joffrey began to claw at his throat, his nails tearing bloody gouges in the flesh. Beneath the skin, the muscles stood out hard as stone. Prince Tommen was screaming and crying.

He is going to die, Tyrion realized. He felt curiously calm, though pandemonium raged all about him. They were pounding Joff on the back again, but his face was only growing darker. Dogs were barking, children were wailing, men were shouting useless advice at each other. Half the wedding guests were on their feet, some shoving at each other for a better view, others rushing for the doors in their haste to get away.

Ser Meryn pried the king's mouth open to jam a spoon down his throat. As he did, the boy's eyes met Tyrion's. He has Jaime's eyes. Only he had never seen Jaime look so scared. The boy's only thirteen. Joffrey was making a dry clacking noise, trying to speak. His eyes bulged white with terror, and he lifted a hand... reaching for his uncle, or pointing... Is he begging my forgiveness, or does he think I can save him? "Noooo," Cersei wailed, "Father help him, someone help him, my son, my son..."

The clawing WAS missed, I thought it would've added a lot. But i don't know, his face getting all blue and bloody looked good imo

Just watched it a second time. This one was great, but the last one was perfect. I gave this one a 9.

Best parts:

Bolton family

Bran Vision: I noticed a flash of something that didn't appear to be from a prior episode. When I went back and paused it, you can see what appears to be the White Walker from one of the trailers. The camera is facing up and looking through frozen ice as if someone is trapped under frozen water.

Stannis line: I've suffered through things I hate my entire life.

Sansa: She had like one line, but her facial expressions throughout the EP were so spot on that she didn't need to say anything for you to know how she was feeling.

Cersei and Jamie being side by side as their son died.

Joffrey's death was executed perfectly.

The only thing I thought could have been better was a little bit more chaos as Joff died. However, what I loved most about this episode was how they set the audience up to hate Joffrey even more. I mean I already hated him, but after he made those comments about chopping Ned Stark's head off in front of Sansa I really wanted him dead.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Great Episode a solid 9. I cried when the focus was on Sansa when the death of her father was reinacted. The looks were heavy. Specially from Oberyn, the weight, like he was looking at someone else tortured by the Lanisters. It made the end more poignant.

An 8, though that's perhaps too generous. It was saved by the smaller moments, since the large one's felt a bit dull -- especially the Joff and Tyrion scenes (I'm aware it's straight from the books but it felt so commonplace; perhaps it was the acting but it was all a bit lifeless). Boltons, Bronn and Jaime, Varys and Tyrion, Tyrion and Jaime, and Jaime and Loras were all good, as was Bran's small scene.

I'm rating this a 9, which is generous for me. So far, "The Battle of the Blackwater" is the only solid 10. I think this episode held up to my second bests, "And Now His Watch Has Ended" and "Kissed by Fire". I thought the Ramsey intro was amazing and set the pace. I loved the scene between Roose and Ramsey. I even liked the Bronn/Jaime dynamic. Bran's visions gave me chills. And the Purple Wedding delivered. I absolutely loved the dwarves' reenacting the Wot5K. My only complaint is the disposal of Shae. If that's the end of her, I'll be furious. That's over-the-top whitewashing of Tyrion.

ETA: I was also disappointed with the Stannis scene. I don't recognize this character and I'm tired of my Unsullied friends referring to him as a loser.

Edited by DogLover

8/10. It was a good episode, but slightly underwhelming in the end. I expected far more grief and despair from Cersei and more extravagance and action from the rest of the wedding. Everything else was really good, though. Also, any episodes that have characters like Joffrey biting the dust are good episodes :)

I'm rating this a 9, which is generous for me. So far, "The Battle of the Blackwater" is the only solid 10. I think this episode held up to my second bests, "And Now His Watch Has Ended" and "Kissed by Fire". I thought the Ramsey intro was amazing and set the pace. I loved the scene between Roose and Ramsey. I even liked the Bronn/Jaime dynamic. Bran's visions gave me chills. And the Purple Wedding delivered. I absolutely loved the dwarves' reenacting the Wot5K. My only complaint is the disposal of Shae. If that's the end of her, I'll be furious. That's over-

the-top whitewashing of Tyrion.

Yes, and also harsh wrt Shae.

But Tyrion had already described that he'd tried asking her nicely, and with Varys' reminder "have you ever known your father to make idle threats??" ... I suppose he was just trying to protect her in the end.

Hell if I know though = )

Gave the episode a 6; the only part I really liked a lot was the wedding.

- absolutely hated the Shae/Tyrion scene. The acting seemed stiff, the dialogue.. ugh, and if she's really gone, well, that'll be a horrible ending to the show's entirely unsatisfactory treatment of the arc (i sincerely hope this isn't the case).

- Cersei/Brienne dialogue is weird and out of place.

- Stannis scene didn't really add anything positive to the episode IMO.

- Sansa's exit seemed a little rushed. Also, her necklace seemed kind of irrelevant.

- I don't really understand what the KL vision that Daenerys saw in the HoTU is doing in Bran's vision (are they same? Looked like it to me.)

- Who was that random chick that Ramsey called "my love?" lol

The Bolton interactions were mostly good, and I did think the purple wedding was pretty successful. I just really didn't like the preceding scenes that much.

6/10. Very average, and a bit underwhelming. The Purple Wedding was good, but the rest not very good. And Stannis burning infidels? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!! I can't believe this show. STANNIS IS AN ATHEIST IN THE BOOKS HIMSELF FFS! I suppose the show is aiming to make Stannis the new villain instead of Ramsay. Words can't describe how angry I am at the show right now. Honestly, if the rest of the season is gonna be like this, then I'm going to count myself very disappointed.

Edited by Queen of Whores

I gave it an 8. Not as good as last week. Disappointed somewhat with the PW. It just seemed a bit rushed and one dimensional. Did love the scene btw Red Viper and Cersei/Tywin.

Great scene with Bran

and Bloodraven

, but I wonder how much of it makes sense to non-book readers.

Interesting action at Dreadfort btw Roose and Ramsey. Poor Theon struggling with grief over learning Robb was murdered. And, gulp, Fat Walda is really fat!