How would you rate episode 402?

Ran

How would you rate episode 402?  

640 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave the episode an 8 out of 10, mostly due to the Bolton scenes and how great the final scene was.

The other scenes were somewhat of a disappointment, I felt like everyone was entirely too calm for a wedding of that proportion. I also feel like the Brienne scene was pretty strange and didn't really need to be there.

2 things,

Was there any mention of Joffrey having "experience with Valryian steel?" I feel like that's an important revelation and ties up a mini mystery from early on in the series. Perhaps Tyrion will make mention of it in the dungeon?

Also, Shae is not gone for good, take a look at this trailer at 1:05... It looks like a scene that book readers should be familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUOdwZhWnLA

6/10. Very average, and a bit underwhelming. The Purple Wedding was good, but the rest not very good. And Stannis burning infidels? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!! I can't believe this show. STANNIS IS AN ATHEIST IN THE BOOKS HIMSELF FFS! I suppose the show is aiming to make Stannis the new villain instead of Ramsay. Words can't describe how angry I am at the show right now. Honestly, if the rest of the season is gonna be like this, then I'm going to count myself very disappointed.

That's a strecth. Everyone who's butthurt over Stannis needs to calm down and wait for episode 9.

6/10. Very average, and a bit underwhelming. The Purple Wedding was good, but the rest not very good. And Stannis burning infidels? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!! I can't believe this show. STANNIS IS AN ATHEIST IN THE BOOKS HIMSELF FFS! I suppose the show is aiming to make Stannis the new villain instead of Ramsay. Words can't describe how angry I am at the show right now. Honestly, if the rest of the season is gonna be like this, then I'm going to count myself very disappointed.

This one hundred percent.

I may actually stop watching the show. I was never one of the hardcore Stannis fans (I'm one of the few who liked/ supported Renly) but to see such a great and dynamic book character become this on the show is despicable.

That's a strecth. Everyone who's butthurt over Stannis needs to calm down and wait for episode 9.

Yeah.... Stannis is my favourite character in all of ASoIaF... of course I'm pissed off. Anyone would be to see their favourite character destroyed episode by episode.

Edited by Queen of Whores

That episode literally changes nothing. I'm not even that big of a Stannis fan but the TV creators have gone to an extreme to make him unlikeable, for frankly no reason.

That episode literally changes nothing. I'm not even that big of a Stannis fan but the TV creators have gone to an extreme to make him unlikeable, for frankly no reason.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T care for book Stannis? I mean he still burns people, he's still a hypocrite. Not too likeable imo.

You guys are acting like Stannis is some charismatic bamf in the books. He's just some misguided fool that still believes the throne belong to those by right.

Fucking ten btw. Back to back gold in my POV. I really should have filmed my mum's reaction (she's unsullied). When the choking began she said "He better die" and sure enough, just like when I read the PW...you get your wish!

Edited by Konradsmith

(WARNING SPOILERS)

So far, this is the episode that has upset me THE MOST.So far Lena Headey has KILLED is as queen Cercei and by killed it, I mean she has been above and beyond expectation, but tonight, just as Michelle Fairley, she has utterly failed to express the panic of a mother losing her child. Denial is the first stage of grief, as Michelle skipped straight to step 4, depression, Lena skipped to step : 2 anger, but nonetheless she failed to express step 1, denial. Making the whole rendition not credible, fake and plastic. This is my first GoT epic fail. King Joffrey's death was such an anticipated moment... but it turned out shit.

I think that part of the book absolutely changed many people's view on him. I never found him very likeable in the books, so i dont really see a problem. :P

You guys are acting like Stannis is some charismatic bamf in the books. He's just some misguided fool that still believes the throne belong to those by right.

How is he misguided if he is actually right? The throne legally is his. And in the books he never, ever burns or harms people who don't believe in the Lord of Light. He lets people believe whatever they want, since he himself is an atheist. There are actually two groups, the king's men (those that fully support Stannis and aren't believers of the Lord of Light) and the queen's men, the opposite. Stannis' Hand of the King is an "infidel" ffs. He doesn't care. Also, he is a badass in the books.

He is the only king of the original five that is still standing, and absolutely refuses to surrender or give in. He's saved Jon Snow, a character many love, and then gone on to do battle against the most despised characters in the series, the Freys and Boltons, and he is vastly outnumbered, but he still insists on freeing Winterfell and bringing justice to the Boltons. Like this quote:

"I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Am I the only one who DOESN'T care for book Stannis? I mean he still burns people, he's still a hypocrite. Not too likeable imo.

He is definitely a hypocrite and in my opinion fairly unlikeable but still an interesting and complex character who is enjoyable to read about. The character on the show is nothing like him.

Edited by averde

How is he misguided if he is actually right? The throne legally is his. And in the books he never, ever burns or harms people who don't believe in the Lord of Light. He lets people believe whatever they want, since he himself is an atheist. There are actually two groups, the king's men (those that fully support Stannis and aren't believers of the Lord of Light) and the queen's men, the opposite. Stannis' Hand of the King is an "infidel" ffs. He doesn't care. Also, he is a badass in the books. He is the only king of the original five that is still standing, and absolutely refuses to surrender or give in. He's saved Jon Snow, a character many love, and then gone on to do battle against the most despised characters in the series, the Freys and Boltons, and he is vastly outnumbered, but he still insists on freeing Winterfell and bringing justice to the Boltons. Like this quote:

Isn't it Legally Danys? Oh because Robert won the war it's rightfully a Baratheon's? Well if Joffrey won the war, then it's no longer for Stannis is it?

He's a pretty widely liked character based off these boards at least. I don't even like him that much I just think that Stannis has been so poorly written on the show without any aspects of his character that it's sad to see such a character go to waste.

Isn't it Legally Danys? Oh because Robert won the war it's rightfully a Baratheon's? Well if Joffrey won the war, then it's no longer for Stannis is it?

The Baratheons won it through conquest, which legally makes it theirs. It's a law that's been passed on since Aegon invaded. Joffrey (unknowingly) took it through trickery and deceit through his mother. There is a huge difference.

How is he misguided if he is actually right? The throne legally is his. And in the books he never, ever burns or harms people who don't believe in the Lord of Light. He lets people believe whatever they want, since he himself is an atheist. There are actually two groups, the king's men (those that fully support Stannis and aren't believers of the Lord of Light) and the queen's men, the opposite. Stannis' Hand of the King is an "infidel" ffs. He doesn't care. Also, he is a badass in the books. He is the only king of the original five that is still standing, and absolutely refuses to surrender or give in. He's saved Jon Snow, a character many love, and then gone on to do battle against the most despised characters in the series, the Freys and Boltons, and he is vastly outnumbered, but he still insists on freeing Winterfell and bringing justice to the Boltons. Like this quote:

And lo and be hold, all of the positives you listed of Stannis has yet to appear in the show so what's the current complaint?

He is misguided in the same way the Starks are misguided: He actually still believes in honor and duty. It seems the people nitpicking about Stannis is how the show is portraying him as some un-charismatic (he is) dark character (he is). Book fans of his also seem to forgo that he is the biggest kinslayer in all of Westeros.

And lo and be hold, all of the positives you listed of Stannis has yet to appear in the show so what's the current complaint?

He is misguided in the same way the Starks are misguided: He actually still believes in honor and duty. It seems the people nitpicking about Stannis is how the show is portraying him as some un-charismatic (he is) dark character (he is). Book fans of his also seem to forgo that he is the biggest kinslayer in all of Westeros.

Those specific events have not happened yet, no, but all the things Stannis says that make him a more likable, understandable and complex character have been completely left out of the show. Go over to A Wiki of Ice and Fire and read all of Stannis' quotes. They make him a much more multi-dimensional and complex character, and yet none of them have been taken over to the show. These quotes humanize him a lot, and make him seem more sympathetic and interesting.

The biggest kinslayer in all of Westeros? Ahhh yes, I suppose we should support Renly in his pursuit of murdering his brother and usurping his legal right. Yeah, that sounds more fair

I think that part of the book absolutely changed many people's view on him. I never found him very likeable in the books, so i dont really see a problem. :P

Lots of people do enjoy the character though and seeing such a character portrayed so poorly is sad. Burning a man alive for treason is terrible but burning a man alive for being an "infidel" is a whole different level of wrong.