How would you rate episode 402?

Ran

How would you rate episode 402?  

640 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The Baratheons won it through conquest, which legally makes it theirs. It's a law that's been passed on since Aegon invaded. Joffrey (unknowingly) took it through trickery and deceit through his mother. There is a huge difference.

Not knowing makes it different? Knowingly or not, Joffrey took the throne. Since that war was won by Joffrey, it's his line that's legal now. Robert unseated the king, Joff made it so the king never even sat the chair. I'd say Joff's line is the legal line now.

Moreover, what does it all matter? Robert's line is the legal line because he managed to usurp the old king? So before he officially sat the throne we should have all sided with the Mad King since legally Robert couldn't rebel? But once he DID sit the throne we side with HIS line? Well now we should side with Joff's line since HE sits the throne, usurping Stannis' line, knowingly or not.

Not knowing makes it different? Knowingly or not, Joffrey took the throne. Since that war was won by Joffrey, it's his line that's legal now. Robert unseated the king, Joff made it so the king never even sat the chair. I'd say Joff's line is the legal line now.

Moreover, what does it all matter? Robert's line is the legal line because he managed to usurp the old king? So before he officially sat the throne we should have all sided with the Mad King since legally Robert couldn't rebel? But once he DID sit the throne we side with HIS line? Well now we should side with Joff's line since HE sits the throne, usurping Stannis' line, knowingly or not.

This isn't the appropriate thread for who is the legal heir of Westeros.

I don't understand how people can argue against Stannis fans being upset on how poorly the character has been portrayed on TV. I just watched him burn a man for being an "infidel".

What they've done to Stannis would be the equivalent of making Theons character have no love for the Starks or love for Robb. It took away a whole aspect of Stannis character and made him something he's not.

8/10

The Purple Wedding -It seemed underwhelming. They had all the necessary shots of the right people touching the right goblets and necklaces, and all the necessary facial expressions to leave most people guessing as to who did it. But that made it sluggish. The sequence between Joffrey and Tyrion over the wine relied too heavily on the book.

Stannis - I am in the minority, but I think Stannis is very well depicted in the show. He's an awkward guy. A guy who has been unlucky and unhappy in life. A guy who goes along with many things that he wouldn't otherwise go along with were he not Robert's heir. That's who he is in the books too. He nevertheless soldiers on through his considerable deficiencies to do his duty and bring justice to Westeros. His facial expressions during the burning and dinner in this episode were classic Stannis. His firmness in prohibiting the use of the rod on Shireen is also classic Stannis. He would make a poor modern day president or prime minister, but he'd make a damn fine king.

Boltons - Loved it! Season 3 E10 began with the symbolic "Rise of Roose" walk up to the battlements of the Twins. I hope to see more of them. Ramsay's character is just phenomenal.

Great episode just one thing Tywin will need to find a new music score for his family reall everytime the Rains of Castamyre is played someone dies. This time YES it was that spoiled brat Joffrey but I still wonder are we sure the poison was in Joffrey's wine because because I think it was in the pie. I also got to love how the Red Viper got to stick it to Tywin and Cersei.

This isn't the appropriate thread for who is the legal heir of Westeros.

I don't understand how people can argue against Stannis fans being upset on how poorly the character has been portrayed on TV. I just watched him burn a man for being an "infidel".

What they've done to Stannis would be the equivalent of making Theons character have no love for the Starks or love for Robb. It took away a whole aspect of Stannis character and made him something he's not.

Agreed and I apologize.

I don't know, I just think Stannis fans take it overboard. I don't think he's a GREAT characterization. But I don't think he's horrible either. The way I read him was unlikeable, dark, and prone to burning people because the red woman says so.

But back on topic. I'd like to add in that I liked the (well I think it was done on purpose) the part where Joff eats the pie, then stops for a second like he's about to choke, then calls to to Tyrion. I felt like it was for the book readers to kind of rise up in our seats for a second, then fall back into them for another minute.

Lots of people do enjoy the character though and seeing such a character portrayed so poorly is sad. Burning a man alive for treason is terrible but burning a man alive for being an "infidel" is a whole different level of wrong.

I didnt say i dont enjoy the character, he's just not someone i actually root for. To me Davos is the saving grace of Stannis's storyline, not Stannis himself.

Agreed and I apologize.

I don't know, I just think Stannis fans take it overboard. I don't think he's a GREAT characterization. But I don't think he's horrible either. The way I read him was unlikeable, dark, and prone to burning people because the red woman says so.

But back on topic. I'd like to add in that I liked the (well I think it was done on purpose) the part where Joff eats the pie, then stops for a second like he's about to choke, then calls to to Tyrion. I felt like it was for the book readers to kind of rise up in our seats for a second, then fall back into them for another minute.

I agree on the pie thing. I had a moment of "wait what it's the pie but what about...." And then he yelled for Tyrion

Gave it a 9.

I want to watch it again, feels like maybe I missed some details at the wedding feast and maybe wasn't paying close enough attention to the earlier part of the episode, was in so much anticipation of the outcome.

Favorite Things:

They didn't recast Ilyn Payne merely for the sake of Jamie's training. Nobody can replace Wilko Johnson.

Joffrey's dead! He was superb at acting dreadful leading up to it, and was wildly successful at looking dreadful while dying :thumbsup:

Nearly everyone who's a suspect managed to touch Joff's cup in the buildup.

Stannis riding Melisandre and Renly riding Loras during the battle (and Loras getting offended),

Plenty of fighting words. Liked the exchange between Loras and Jamie and Oberyn's cutting remarks regarding Elia

I'm liking Brienne this season

Oberyn and Loras checking each other out

Melisandre looks happy and healthy while eating the 'spoiled meat,' while Stannis and Selyse look like they're wasting away. Creepy.

Rebel Shireen

Finally Tyrion doesn't look so nice when breaking up with Shae

Interesting visions in the weirnet, and Bran getting a bit wolfish

Reek, Alfie Allen is doing an excellent job

Ramsay's expressions, as if Roose had really just said "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother"

Disliked

Sometimes the episode seemed a bit cobbled together, as if they were trying to figure out what to do with the parts that weren't taken up by the PW

I guess the necklace was easier to film than a hairnet?

Bran saying "I know where we need to go" after the weirnet vision seemed a bit contrived

No "I'll take two chickens"

Edited by Eira Seren

I gave it a 6, based on initial impressions while watching it. While there were parts I thought were well done, overall I was disappointed in the episode, especially for one George is credited with. This is one of those episodes where I felt there was some check-box list of things that must be included, and the outline required that they all be shoehorned in there.

I've been trying hard to watch the show with somewhat fresh eyes, but episodes like these make that hard to do (doesn't help that I just completed a re-read of all the source materials a week ago).

(-)

Anyone else hated that huge lion head at the feast? It looked like some cheap park amusement thing where kids can jump.

No Penny

I kinda hoped the show will clear things up about the poisoner... Well, poor me :)

(+)

Joffrey's death face was fun :)

Relieved by the end of Shae/Tyrion. Finally!

That's a strecth. Everyone who's butthurt over Stannis needs to calm down and wait for episode 9.

NO LIE! Seriously!!!

Anyone else hated that huge lion head at the feast? It looked like some cheap park amusement thing where kids can jump.

Right? I liked it cuz it shows how ridiculous the whole thing is. It was perfect.

I somewhat generously gave it an eight. A solid episode, but not especially inspired, and to be honest the most anticipated episode after the Red Wedding turned out to be a bit of a missed opportunity. The Dreadfort scenes were very good, but were narratively rushed, and slightly mishandled the relationship between Roose and Ramsay. Too much interfering with how things go down in the books. The last appearance of Shae was a complete disaster and exceeded my worst expectations of how they'd go with her character arc. It seems the producers were simply too timid to have things pan out the way they do in the novels for fear of alienating viewers, and have decided to whitewash both Shae and Tyrion in case viewers aren't smart enough to realise Tywin would be the one to blame if they'd kept things they way they end in ASoS. Even for a non-reader viewer, the way their relationship ends onscreen should seem like a big build-up to nothing. So that's my main annoyance with the episode. Aside from that, there are minor problems caused by having to resolve too many changes to the chronology of the source. And the show's treatment of Stannis is by now a lost cause; let's hope he fares better in development of his character in The North.

The wedding was not big enough, Penny the dwarf made no appearance, and there wasn't enough of a build-up to it. Oberyn and Tyrion's relationship is furthered in the third novel by this point. The rancour between Joffrey and Tyrion is built up just prior to the wedding feast, which makes it apparent Joffrey sees his humiliation of his uncle there as a warning and revenge. The bleeding at the nose and eyes was a nice touch, but there was no throat-tearing from Joffrey, and the show made it too obvious who one of his murderers is. He chokes to death too quickly too. His face has turned black before he finally kicks the bucket in the book.

Enjoyable stuff, but too many shortcuts and fluffed moments I think to satisfy a lot of casual viewers or those familiar with the novels. Too many changes that don't work, though the wedding feast itself is pretty faithful in the main. I really think they should have cut out all of the side-stuff in this and set the entire episode at King's Landing in order to do as full as possible justice to the source.

Edited by The Killer Snark

8. Bonus points for not having Daenerys in it.

lollololol ;) Dany Free Zone was fun times.

I give it an 8.

I understand why the Stannis fans are mad, I like him too. But, can we wait a few more episodes? To me, I see it as D/D setting him up as a villain, so

Spoiler
he will rise as a hero later.

Arr. Stannis will end up smelling like a rose soon enough. Its more building to Melisandre looking like an asshole.

:agree:

Oh come on! Dont you see how brilliant that prop was? Its so ridiculous and so horrible that it swings back to awesome in sheer audacity.

a 7 from me.

The ep started very well with the Boltons and ended beautifully with the wedding. The middle bits of Bran and Stannis were a bit meh, especially the Bran sequence.

I should add that I also thought that the pre-wedding KL scenes were rather weak. The dialogue was mundane, to say the least. Especially in the Olenna/Tywin, Jaime/Bronne, with special emphasis on the Jaime/Loras (that was truly awful). Actually come to think of it, a lot of the writing in the episode was weak.

The 7 goes almost entirely to the Tyrion/Joffery interactions during the wedding and to the Bolton scenes. I gave the premier a deserving 8, it is the stronger episode of the two.

Edited by Sun