How would you rate episode 402?

Ran

How would you rate episode 402?  

640 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it a 10. The Wedding was hella fun, I don't think I've seen that many named characters in a single place on TV before. Led to some nice little interactions, and they played the whodunnit angle well. Marg, Cersei and Tyrion were all great but Joffrey stole the show. A masterful performance.

The Dreadfort and Dragonstone scenes were so dark and sinister but in different ways. I worry for that Myranda chick, she'll be hound meat soon too, I'm sure. Either that or they'll make her FakeArya.

The Bran scene wasn't much of anything, but whatever. I'm not expecting much there until they reach Bloodraven or Coldhands.

Still great TV, fantastic sets and costumes but I only gave it a 7.

Underwealming episode, No illian Payne (though I understand why), plodding plotlines. Maybe I just expected too much after last week. Glad Jeoffry is dead but very meh scripting. Actor was terrific as usual though. Tyrion just phoned it in. (First time I ever felt that way about him) The midget entertainers just sucked but they did get the point across.

I may have to watch it again in case it was just the mood of the night.

I'm officially underwhelmed by the episode.

It was dispersive before the wedding, and underwhelming on its climax.

Maybe the lack of tension I felt is due to me already knowing what was going to happen. I admit I was in removal when Ramsey killed one of his girls.

Maybe the soundtrack could have helped more.

And yes, the show lost in subtle messages being forwarded.
Now it is not just one instance with the Viper, a little girl can be blunt in front of Melisandre, the Queen puts herself on the same level of a famous ugly woman and Jaime... Well, Jaime could be as direct and blunt as he was with Loras but... on THAT matter?

After pushing a boy from a window to hide it? The risk is lower now but...

I'm underwhelmed, if slightly, and for the second time in a row.
The season is sub-optimal, up to now!

I gave it an 8 after watching again. I think this season is starting off much better than the last 2. They totally botched the RW & the episodes leading up to it.

Interesting to see Bronn become Jaimes sparring partner-guess 'cause he is such a fan favorite. Hard to replace Ilyn though---he became Jaimes confessor and there was always something dark & menacing about the guy

Shae--the show has spent much time making her the whore with the heart of gold & she isn't that in the books at all. Guessing the Lannisters on the show have her hidden away somewhere

Cersei was brillant and of course, the Queen of Thorns--adding extra dialogue

Glad Dontos is back

Dwarf fight was excellent & degrading to many of course

Boltons---good but since when did Ramsay have any female friends?

Brans vision---yes

Stannis----let him be STANNIS

Edited by ladyinblack

5/10. I gave last weeks 10/10.

This episode was massively underwhelming especially since last weeks premiere was incredible.Most of this episode was written by George which is really strange.

Cons:

Joffery's death was dragged out way to long. They made it to obvious and forced.

A lot of the conversations were really bad aswell like Oberyn openly insulting Tywin and Cersei.

Stannis burning someone who refused to convert :bang:

He is supposed to be an atheist!!!! Using Mel and her religion ultimately for his own gain.

This is what really brought the episode down for me.

Pros:

"Your bother tells me you shit gold just like your father"

Ramsey and Roose. So much tension. Locke and Ramsey being buddies was a great addition.

Reek

Bran's vision. Graphics were a little bad but still very good. No cold hands though:(

Wedding looked amazing

No Dany which is a nice change. Not a dany hater but sick of her being showcased as the main character.

War of the 5 kings

I don't understand all this outrage over Stannis. Honestly, I thought he was mostly a prick until a certain point in the books that should be around episode 9. The show has just chosen to accentuate the more prickly side of his nature, but to come to the conclusion that he's going to be next major villain is a major stretch. Lets also remember this is Game of Thrones. The majority of the characters are not all good or evil.

I don't understand all this outrage over Stannis. Honestly, I thought he was mostly a prick until a certain point in the books that should be around episode 9. The show has just chosen to accentuate the more prickly side of his nature, but to come to the conclusion that he's going to be next major villain is a major stretch. Lets also remember this is Game of Thrones. The majority of the characters are not all good or evil.

I don't get it either. Stannis has been like this for two seasons. Book Stannis != Show Stannis. We should know this by now. He might end up where he does at the end of ASOS but he's clearly taking a different and more direct route. Just don't understand why people are still having the same complaints when they know that show Stannis is different and has been for 2 years.

Edited by Mexal

The only thing I'll say in their defense is they could have given a better reason for burning the traitors than their religious beliefs. That was messed up, but not grievous enough for me to fault the episode on its entirety. Overall it was a great episode, but EP1 is still my favorite of the season so far!

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Its not the destination its the journey.

They are portraying him terribly and if the majority of Stan fans are appalled at his character then D & D are massively f**king up his story.

There are hundreds of posts explaining in detail why so do a little research.

Edited by aFeastForDragons

Its not the destination its the journey.

They are portraying him terribly and if the majority of Stan fans are appalled at his character then D & D are massively f**king up his story.

There are hundreds of posts explaining in detail why so do a little research.

Yes, but they've been doing this for two years. So while you hate his portrayal and it is different from the book, it's consistent within the show and that's the important piece at this point. Figured people would give up by now given it's been like this for the past two seasons but I was wrong. Every Stannis scene will elicit the same reaction until Stannis is dead or the show is over. Gotcha.

9/10 for me.

I thought the wedding was great, I loved every minute of it. Even the conversations and interactions that didn't happen in the book but were included in the show even though they didn't add much, I didn't care because it was just cool to see characters interacting that don't usually get the chance to like Cersei/Brienne, an early Loras/Jaime etc.

Bolton stuff was great. Bran's vision was cool, I suspect only one scene an episode from Bran this season otherwise he'll be at the end of ADwD already.

Yeah Stannis continues to be mishandled, and so the only point this ep loses was the burning. I did quite like the scene of Melisandre presenting her religion from her POV to Shireen(the audience). We've had similar scenes before but I felt like it was needed to save Stannis from being the villain from now on.

Other thoughts include: I worry Tommen and Myrcella have not been built up enough. The show doesn't have the luxury of Cersei chapters where she thinks about all her kids quite regularly. When Tommen becomes King by default i think the TV only watchers will be like "wait what? have we seen him before?". Also, they should be reinforcing that as much as Oberyn hates the Lannisters, they can't touch him because of Myrcella. It was slipped in so quickly in that conversation and it's because they haven't paid any mind to Myrcella being in Dorne since she was shipped off.

Yes, but they've been doing this for two years. So while you hate his portrayal and it is different from the book, it's consistent within the show and that's the important piece at this point. Figured people would give up by now given it's been like this for the past two seasons but I was wrong. Every Stannis scene will elicit the same reaction until Stannis is dead or the show is over. Gotcha.

Stannis was amazing in season 2. I don't know why people didn't like his portrayal then but it was very true to his book character pre-Blackwater. Ruthless, determined, will do anything to achieve his goals and number 1 listens to Davos. Season 3 just made a mockery of his redemption and development.

Its the fact they went out of their way to make him look bad.

"I told him to burn his idols"

That might be the worse piece of dialogue I've heard in this show. They could have put in anything from trying to make peace with the Lannisters to stealing food from storage. Anything would have been a better reason than he didn't convert because I told him to. Thats not the Stannis from the books we all know.

Edited by aFeastForDragons

I gave it a 10. The only thing that bothered me was Shae, but Book!Shae has been annoying for ages now that I'm kinda used to it - it's like having around a family member that you don't like but have to put up with.

Love Oberyn and Ellaria's chat with Tywin and Cersei. Loved the wedding. Super-loved the dwarves' play - much better than in the books where Tyrion was the sole target. One skit to offend them all :p It was great to have all those glances at people looking concerned (Varys, Oberyn, Tywin) or humiliated (Tyrion) or enraged (Sansa, Loras) - or amused (Cersei). Great work.

Good stuff from Theon and Ramsay and Roose; Selyse and Shireen; Bran's vision. So, in short, excellent episode :)

I gave it a 9, I expected the wedding to be so much more extravagant. But apart from that loved it. Love how Margaery is a main player in the show, as in the books we seldom saw her. Love that Selyse is back, think a lot of us were worried her season 3 appearance would have been a one-off. Love Ellaria and Oberyn. Olenna Redwyne is awesome.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE VALE AND LYSA THIS SEASON!