How would you rate episode 403?

Ran

How would you rate episode 403?  

629 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

But you gave it a 6?

Yeah I gave it a 6, was going to be a 5, but being under the weather and probably more critical than normal I gave it the benefit of the doubt and gave it a 6. Look I thought it was mediocre, but there are far worse things out there than that. You ever see into the Blue or any of those fast five movies? Those are like 2's and 3's, this was better than that by a bit, so 5 or 6.

7/10

1. Sex scene with Oberyn was too long

2. I loved the Thenns scene, but it was too, "Lord of the Ringish" and doesn't fit into ASOIAF/GOT

3. The Duel scene was great . . . but I miss Strong Belwas . . .

4. Everything else was solid, except for Sam sending Gilly to a filthy brothel to raise a kid. Dumb Sam!

Yeah I agree there were a couple of things that sort of felt Lord of the Ringish and out of place for the series tonight.

Before I rate the episode, because my screen isn't in the best conditions... I have to ask: did we see Oberyn's ass? That might get the episode a few more points.

I doubt he signed on to that sort of thing, or I'm sure we would have seen it by now. Brb, getting pitch forks for HBO riot.

Edited by Empress In The North

6/10

Overall it was a decent episode, however I find it completely ridiculous how new Tommen has been shoehorned in so fast. I can only imagine how utterly random it must seem to a lot of non-readers. I actually liked his coversation with Tywin, and unlike some of the show's other casting screw ups (e.g. Ramsay) the actor isn't necessarily wrong for the role,.. I just think the timing of the change is so off that it's tantamount to inventing a new Stark child and giving them an important role in the next episode like they've been there the whole time.

And yet again I found myself rolling my eyes at their portrayal of Daenerys. They seem to be trying to re-create the same scene over and over again with a show of power followed by the cheesy delivery of a Valyrian word.

Edited by Ilúvatar

6/10

Overall it was a decent episode, however I find it completely ridiculous how new Tommen has been shoehorned in so fast. I can only imagine how utterly random it must seem to a lot of non-readers. I actually liked his coversation with Tywin, and unlike some of the show's other casting screw ups (e.g. Ramsay) the actor isn't necessarily wrong for the role,.. I just think the timing of the change is so off that it's tantamount to inventing a new Stark child and giving them an important role in the next episode like they've been there the whole time.

Well, when would have been a good place to insert him? The last time we saw Tommen before the Purple Wedding was the Battle of the Blackwater.

• Sansa's escape = 8 - what was up with Littlefinger's accent?

Margaery & Olenna = 6 - not a bad scene, but nothing special either

The Sept of Baelor = 10 - between Tywin immediately taking Tommen under his wing and the one sex scene that was not gratuitous, this was excellent

Arya & The Hound = 10 - great chemistry between the two

Sam & Gilly = 6 - more awkwardness from Sam, but interesting setup with Mole's Town

Dragonstone = 7 - started with more Stannis butchery but he did say one line the real Stannis would have said (the pantry line, not the history book line) + Shireen continues to impress and +1 for Monty Python reference

The Brothel = 1 - seems the Red Viper is getting the Stannis treatment from the writers; at least they finally touched on his poison knowledge; still no mention of his nickname

Tyrion & Pod = 10 - very touching and great acting

The Wildling Attack = 6 - the cannibalism is going a bit too far, but a fairly good action scene

Castle Black = 9 - Other than reducing the NW's numbers much more than they should have, the rest of the scene was pretty good; Kit continues to impress this season

Daenerys = 7 - Meereen looks great; I was not too impressed with the duel (too short, and the whole positioning was a bit awkward); nice use of mangonels, though I hope they won't have the slaves do all the fighting

Average grade = 7.3/10, rounding down to 7 for the vote.

A strong 7. I would have given it an eight but for Stannis threatening to kill Davos, Jaime raping Cersei and the hero worship of Daenerys. The orgy was also dumb and unnecesary. We get it, Oberyn fucks guys as well. Big deal. Other than that, pretty good episode. My favourite of the three so far by a long margin. I really don't like the new Tommen, but his scene with Tywin was good, if only for the huge exposition dumps from Tywin that I loved. I really like that Jon and Alliser seem to have a grudging respect/appreciation for each others' decisions and knowledge. Also, was that Bowen Marsh that was naming all the brothers and said they should dump the wildlings from the Wall? Classic Bowen, if so.

7. It almost managed to pull itself up near the end, but not quite. Some absolutely outstanding scenes up against some very, very poor ones.

What I liked:

Tywin teaching Tommen about the virtues of Kings. Up there with my favourite scenes from this show ever.

Sam looking after Gilly. We didn't get to see much of this in the books, with the wildlings a lot closer to the Wall. Great character development.

Arya and the Hound. Excellent from start to finish. Endearing the Hound to us while reminding us what he truly is, and Maise Williams continues to kill it.

Tywin negotiating with Oberyn. Top draw stuff from both actors, and finally some good dialogue.

What I hated:

Jaime borderline rape of Cersei. How was that necessary, please someone explain that to me. Fuck.

Tyrion's selflessness. Why do D and D think the sun shines out of Tyrion's arsehole? Can't we get a little bit more of his dry sarcasm and mutterings of vengeance? (I did however think throwing suspicion onto Tywin was a nice touch)

Sansa's escape. Not only was it horribly rushed, but then we had to have Aiden Gillen and his stupid accent trampling over all of Sophie Turner's good work. He has utterly ruined that character.

Parting thoughts: the dialogue was much improved, but poor decision making by the creators regarding the development of critical characters damaged the scene. Episode remained solid overall.

Well, when would have been a good place to insert him? The last time we saw Tommen before the Purple Wedding was the Battle of the Blackwater.

They should have forseen the age issue to begin with and picked someone as old as the other child actors to play Tommen right from the start. Or at the very least, they should have given us glimpses of a new Tommen last season. It just seems so forced and ridiculous how this random boy showed up magically only moments before Joffrey died, and now suddenly he's going to be king.

Edited by Ilúvatar

8 out of 10. Liked everything except for:
- the end of that scene between Jaime and Cersei (shame, because the beginning and middle were really good)

- Gilly being so mean to Sam

- no tokars - I was hoping for some seriously flamboyant, complicated dresses for the Meereenese and instead we got the same old master's garb

Gave it a 7. The Dragonstone scenes felt rushed. Jaime rape scene set his redemption arc back about 2 seasons, well done. Littlefinger's acting is worse than ever, it's hilarious though. I hated how they didn't explain the conspiracy properly like in the books, Unsullied are going to be so confused.

The rest was pretty solid, but the ending was a bit of an anti-climax, I thought we were going to see the slaves start killing the masters. It's like they just ran out of time.

I would give it a 9.5/10 so rounded up to 10... Kinda suprised how varied the opinions are on this really good episode. Didn't think any scene was too cheesy or fell flat. Most were fantastic with exceptional dialog and acting imo. Littlefigner/Sansa scene and dialog very much like I remember from the book and done well. Pod/Tyrion, emotional ending and its always great to hear Tyrion try to put the pieces together; Tywin teaching Tomman while essentially taking him under his wing away from Cersei as quickly has he can; Jon Snow finally being a character I care about again, after the debacle of his story line the last two seasons (espcially s2). The other scenes not mentioned provided some good setup for future episodes. The only scene that was meh to me was the 1st Sam/Gilly one.

Yes the Jaime and Cersei scene came off too rough unfortunately (espcially for non-book readers) but I think the intention was the same as the books (backed by a quote from the director of this episode here:

goo.gl/qSq8LV). So not getting my panties in a bunch over it.