How would you rate episode 403?

Ran

How would you rate episode 403?  

629 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7/10

I still think the standard is high and Season 4 is shaping up to be very gripping and interesting. However, some scenes dragged the episode down for me.

Good-

Tywin- His exchanges with Tommen and Oberyn were done very well, especially the grandfatherly/advisor nature he shows towards Tommen. It almost reminded me of his Season 2 scenes with Arya.

Arya and the Hound- "Are you going to pray to all seven of the fuckers? "Father!" :lmao:

I also liked the mention of how disgraceful the RW was ('The Gods will have their vengeance') and how the riverlands (and North) have gone to the dogs since Frey rule.

I will never tire of Dany speaking in Valyrian and I loved the broken slave collars in the barrels

Jon coming across as more demanding of respect/authoritative. I also liked how he was holding that little boys shoulder for support/comfort. :wub:

Bad-

Jaime raping Cersei...It WAS rape!

Oberyn+ Whores + I AM BI-SEXUAL!! You'd think that's all he has going for him with the added desire for vengeance.

Stannis is a Dick, Period. I don't see any duty or dry humour...

Edited by ~DarkHorse~

I voted 8 because other than some questionable direction choices in the Jaime/Cersei scene I thought this was actually a great episode. The dialogue and overall thematic unfolding of the episode was great.

That part truly was a huge mistake. I'm disappointed.

Gave it a 7. Sam always bores me, even in the books, I did like Tywin and Tommen, and Tywin and Oberyn. Idk why everyone has this whitewashed image of the sept scene, even in the book it was kinda the same tone. Gillen is trying too hard. He was solid in the wire but in this, idk, it's like he's at his acting limits or he's intimidated by the talent around him and trying to be something he's not, weird. Solid but not anything special.

I thought this was the weakest episode of the series thus far. Too many stupid clumsy things. Dany stands directly behind Daario while a mounted man charges at him? Yeah so much for not risking the important people! Sure they wanted to have the two of them in the shot together and have him turn and do his little wink, but that was idiotic. This one didn't have that sense of being "well done" for me. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

• Sansa's escape = 8 Along with picking up at the Purple Wedding and Joffrey's little lifeless corpse. Again, the lack of panic and disorder, mainly due to lack of shots of the wedding party, made everything feel off. Tywin shouted at no one, as if the orders of 'no one leaves' at this point could be followed. The awkwardness of Kingsguard extras standing stupidly in the background, Tyrion being carted away awkwardly at the behest of an obviously deranged Cersei felt stupid. Sansa and Dontos' escape was rushed, but I enjoyed it. People complain about LF's voice. Yea, its annoying. I don't know why he's talking like that. But w/e, I'm glad to see him back.

Margaery & Olenna = 4 I honestly pretty much forgot this scene already.

The Sept of Baelor = 7The Tywin/Tommen bit had a point but it went on too long and was boring. Jaime didn't rape Cersei, she went along with it, but also was conflicted because of the locale. Yea, she was saying "not here" but she didn't quite fight him with determination. She was conflicted. I think they should have kept it more clearly by the book. How strong this scene would have been if they hadn't made Jaime arrive three episodes early.

Arya & The Hound = 5 I'm not enjoying Arya this season. I'm seeing the actress coming through the acting and it takes me out. She's made herself too much of a joke with the audience outside of the show and its bleeding into her performance. 'She's the cute little girl who is also a badass.' The Hound's Winter lesson was a good darkening of the character, but somewhat out of character, unless he is beginning to despair for some reason, but they haven't set anything up for that so it just appears like sloppy writing.

Sam & Gilly = 2 Boring as seven hells. Should have stopped with the "and what about you" line. Sam is a very annoying character when he is being wimpy and since he's back basically a season too early at the wall they have to give his character filler crap to do, which hurts the character. Was a big waste of uninteresting time for this not too exciting episode. It drug.

Dragonstone = 2 I honestly forgot most of this already. Why isn't he at the wall? Even my Unsullied family members were like "what's he doing?" The poor choices the writers have made with the timeline is basically turning the rest of this season into a damn spoiler fest until the stupid attack on the wall can finally happen, which just has to wait until episode 9 for some dumb reason when it could have happened this episode. (The first attack from the south, but again they've brought Alister and Janos back too early so now they have to do some stupid crap with them. Ugh filler fest).

The Brothel = 4 I'm a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR fan of the Viper. First, they've cut the nickname and his affinity for poisons and made it into a stupid exposition line for Tywin to bring up. That cuts like half the character. Too much "hey we like sex" as people have already said. The point of him coming to KL was to be on the Small Council, but they changed it in the show to just attending the wedding, which seems a little stupid. Why would Tywin bribe him with basically nothing that the Viper cares about excluding Gregor. Why would the Viper want a seat on the stupid small council? That would be the most boring thing to him. Why would he want to help the Lannisters at all? Gahh just so much dumb. I'm waiting to see where they are taking this arc before I judge it too harshly. Having Tywin promise Gregor takes away so much of the character's drive and motivation.

Tyrion & Pod = 4 Stupid whitewashing of Tyrion and Bronn. Now Pod has a more graceful exit from his service so that is ok. I forgot most everything else that happened in this scene as well.

The Wildling Attack = 1 "The Horselords took your land. Burn every village!" Are teh wildlings bad guys mum? I'm not sure. Oh, cannibalism is bad, so yes tehy are bad too. Yayyyyy

Castle Black = 2 What happened? Oh, filler attack Craster's camp. WHat? Aren't the wildlings like just about to attack your damn wall with 100k men? Didn't you just say being drawn out was a stupid idea? Now you want to march TOWARDS the main host to kill a bunch of people who have useless information? Such poorly contrived filler. And why is everyone listening to Jon now? I figured since Thorne hates him he would, like, NOT listen to him. But yea something happened let's ask Snow's advice he probably knows what's best he's like 20 years old now.

Daenerys = 4 Yeaaa, again just a bit wut. March that close up to the enemy gates. Why would the Meereneese allow you to do that? That's a pretty tight little pass you just marched your army through. Woulda been a great place for an ambush or for, say, 300 uber warriors to make a stand so that the overwhelming numbers of your army are nullified. Glad to get some more of Captain Expo (Ser Jorah) spouting off amazing lines like "He is a Hero of Meereen." Oh, ok, I would never have gotten that. Poor man's Daario is poor man's Daario. Its like his understudy is playing him. The placement of the fight was just awkward as hell and its obvious the Daario actor has no physical training. The whole chains thing would have been cool if Dany didn't have a cool switcheroo move to pull every single time she ran into an enemy ever. Its predictable and expected at this point.

I don't have a calculator, so overall, like, a 5? I guess? Still gonna watch it again just cause I love GoT so much.

That part truly was a huge mistake. I'm disappointed.

I rewatched the scene and it was more obvious to me that it was partly consentual, but the way it ended was weird. Just have Cersei look somewhat into it if a little conflicted, rather than an ambiguous zoomed in tug of Jaime's clothes. I think too many will focus on it though, and it's a shame because the episode was really well written and there was clear direction and purpose to every scene.

I rewatched the scene and it was more obvious to me that it was partly consentual, but the way it ended was weird. Just have Cersei look somewhat into it if a little conflicted, rather than an ambiguous zoomed in tug of Jaime's clothes. I think too many will focus on it though, and it's a shame because the episode was really well written and there was clear direction and purpose to every scene.

It was supposed to be a disgusting scene and I think they captured it accurately. Jaimie is likable and charismatic but he is a vile human being who has done terrible things which I think book readers have a tendency to overlook. Jaimies feelings towards Cersei have always been more solid and consistent, Cersei however is more fickle and moody. Jaimie wants to be honest and out in the open with their relationship and Cersei thinks it is madness.

I think think the writers were actually trying to subtle with this scene and its not something they usually do, maybe they botched it, I have to rewatch it. As far as people complaining about the Unsullied reaction, I disagree about the rape but it was repulsive and sacreligious, a despicable act and if the Unsullied have a negative reaction to it maybe readers, more hardcore fans need to pay attention to this and not blame the writers for botching the scene which I thought they did a good job with.

9/10

Mostly everything worked. The dialogue was great, and they really have figured out the pacing. I didn't really mind the Jaime/Cersei scene. It didn't seem like a rape at all to me, but I understand if people view it differently.Her "no"s didn't seem to come from a woman who was raped (and all the psychological terrors that come with it), but rather someone who likes it, but isn't sure that this is the best time and place. Also, Charles Dance is magnificent, can't say that enough.

1 point off for the dull Sam/Gilly scenes.

Edited by The Monkey

I give it an 8.

Started reading this forum couple of days ago and to be honest Im starting to regret it. Instead of just enjoying the show Im starting to take part in silly conversations about every little thing that happened in the episode. Im losing all the joy of the episode I watched because people in here can criticize every little detail. You're over-analysing stuff instead of just enjoying the series. This isnt the book, its a show thats just based on the book but was never going to be exactly the same. Things are different, characters are presented in a different way and some storylines are different as well. No need to point every little detail.

Edited by Volverin

Gave it a 3.

Dialogue was rather cheesy this episode, and the Magnar of Thenn was over-acting his part and his dialogue in the raid made me facepalm. It was way too over-the-top, but unfortunately I think that's how they're gonna keep portraying the Thenn. I think they pulled off that scene with Joffrey in the sept pretty well. They did after all do that at the sept, in the book and it wasn't described as being all that...."nice" there, either. Otherwise, it was just a stepping stone to the next episode.

Edited by Bearson

Dialogue was rather cheesy this episode, and the Magnar of Thenn was over-acting his part and his dialogue in the raid made me facepalm. It was way too over-the-top, but unfortunately I think that's how they're gonna keep portraying the Thenn. I think they pulled off that scene with Joffrey in the sept pretty well. They did after all do that at the sept, in the book and it wasn't described as being all that...."nice" there, either. Otherwise, it was just a stepping stone to the next episode.

Well, Magnar of Thenn is being played by a Russian actor. So, he has to be the evilest of evil. The stereotype demands it.

Okay. After rewatching it, it's a solid 9 from me.

Because of:

- Tywin/Tommen

- Tywin/Oberyn

- Shireen/Davos

- Pod/Tyrion <= My favorite scene of the episode.

- the choreography of that village-raid by the Thenns and the Wildlings

- Arya/The Hound

- Jaime/Cersei

Sam and Gilly: I don't know yet what to make of this one.

Danaerys. Uhm. Don't know what to say about her. But the slave taking up the collar and looking at his master was certainly great, and I liked it.

Sansa/LF: Sansa's great. Her "No more lies" takes the cake.

EDith: the Qot was witty, and Margaery a bit too worried about her status as queen. That's it.

Edited by Lord_Tyrion

I'm really really confused by the low rating of this episode. I feel like people are focusing to heavily on that one controversial scene, that is clearly open for interpretation, instead of focusing on the episode as a whole. Outside of the controversy of that one scene and the boring Sam/Gilly scenes I felt this was an extremely strong episode. Not quite sure how/why it has one of the lowest ratings of the entire series.

I'd rate it an 8.5/10 (B+), but went with an 8 for the poll.

I felt like this episode had one of the strongest dramatic through-lines of the series (on a thematic level), in terms of the idea of protection and protecting the people you care about/are supposed to take care of.

I'm really really confused by the low rating of this episode. I feel like people are focusing to heavily on that one controversial scene, that is clearly open for interpretation, instead of focusing on the episode as a whole. Outside of the controversy of that one scene and the boring Sam/Gilly scenes I felt this was an extremely strong episode. Not quite sure how/why it has one of the lowest ratings of the entire series.

These forums are pretty well known for over-the-top reactions, particularly when something is presented differently than it was in the books.

You'd think they showed Ser Davos killing babies the way the community is "outraged" about it, so all of that invented disgust just to be a part of something seemingly controversial unfortunately overshadows what was easily the best written episode of this season so far.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips