How would you rate episode 403?

Ran

How would you rate episode 403?  

629 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It seems like I'm one of few people here who actually likes the Sam/Gilly scenes. It's true that there was really no need for her to go to Moles Town (apart from an opportunity to show whores and tits of a different stripe), but I liked the scenes nevertheless.

Littlefinger and Sansa

Aidan Gillan is delicious creepy

Tywin

The Hound

Arya's new dad

John Noob

some scenes with Danaerys

Ian Glenn

The End ..Daenerys Conqueror’s theme

I am impressed

The show is on fire!

It certainly is.

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

What did GRRM say? The director said it was not rape:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/367116.html#comments

grrm

Apr. 21st, 2014 08:16 pm (UTC)
Re: Jaime's changes in Breaker of Chains
This is off topic here. This is the section for comments about Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the Cocteau's author program.

Since a lot of people have been emailing me about this, however, I will reply... but please, take any further discussion of the show to one of the myriad on-line forums devoted to that. I do not want long detailed dissections and debates about the TV series here on my blog.

As for your question... I think the "butterfly effect" that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey's death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her.

The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other's company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that's just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection.

Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime's POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don't know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing.

If the show had retained some of Cersei's dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression -- but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline.

That's really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing... but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons.

Now, if you please, I'd appreciate it if we could get back to Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the subjects of the original post.

I don't know how many times I can say this. Jamie is NOT a rapist!!!!

The director said it was consensual. Just read the last paragraph of this article:

http://www.ibtimes.c...roversy-1574209

It's fair to criticize the director, but to call Jamie something he's not, because the director screwed up is unfair.

BTW, Ser Arthur Heath, is that a picture of Cuthbert???

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

I am newer to the board, so I’ve avoided confrontational posts. And, while I like critical review and independent thinking, I am with Jarl...

To give any GoT HBO episode a two or three is just contrarian to be contrarian. It's the best damn thing on that magic-picture-box in your family room.

If you are so disappointed, disgusted, or were expecting an unabridged reading of the novels, switch back to "Sam and Kat" on Nickelodeon or some other such empty-headed-crap and be done with it.

This isn't some political blog where we are arguing about the future for our children, the environment, war, or economic repercussions of the E.U., where all points of view may be valid.

If you have a critical review or comment about production, acting, editing choices, what was lifted from the book or should have been… great.

But, to post scathing criticisms, insults at the actors, and broad-stroke-hate… it becomes tiresome to sift through to get to the actual well-thought-out posts.

My two coppers.

I mean that the events that precede this and the events that follow will be more memorable. The Samwell/Gilly scenes were cringe-worthy. The incest in the sept was not handled well although I do like GRRM's response to the outrage. I am also finished with Stannis pouting and doing nothing. I wouldn't rate the Tywin-Tommen interaction higher than the Tywin-Arya diologue but I like Tywin the grandfather just eviscerating Joffrey the King while Joffrey the Corpse was right there decaying. I liked the final scene with the chains but I agree with the people who don't like the new Dario. He looks just like everyone else. I know people didn't like the actor from Season three but he had a real hair metal throwback look that at least made him stand out.

He looks like Eric Bana to me and someone said it earlier that scene was straight out of Indiana Jones and morphed with a Lord of the Rings scene. The only thing missing was Legolas sliding off the nose of the horse at the end.

I am newer to the board, so I’ve avoided confrontational posts. And, while I like critical review and independent thinking, I am with Jarl...

To give any GoT HBO episode a two or three is just contrarian to be contrarian. It's the best damn thing on that magic-picture-box in your family room.

If you are so disappointed, disgusted, or were expecting an unabridged reading of the novels, switch back to "Sam and Kat" on Nickelodeon or some other such empty-headed-crap and be done with it.

This isn't some political blog where we are arguing about the future for our children, the environment, war, or economic repercussions of the E.U., where all points of view may be valid.

If you have a critical review or comment about production, acting, editing choices, what was lifted from the book or should have been… great.

But, to post scathing criticisms, insults at the actors, and broad-stroke-hate… it becomes tiresome to sift through to get to the actual well-thought-out posts.

My two coppers.

Yeah OK but the number of people on here who give a GoT episode, even the sub par ones (and there have been a few) automatic 8s, 9s and 10s is ridiculous. I thought the first episode was solid, the last two have been pretty weak. They've been a bit labored at times, especially the KL scenes. Episode 2 depiction of the PW was just flat and disapointing, I'd had it built up in my head as something majestic, opulent to the extreme, decadent and outrageous, instead we got a pleasant garden party with dwarves, just poor. This episode seemed to meander along with no real point. We had at the end of the last season, or so I thought, Davos setting up Stannis riding north to the wall, but no that's all been forgotten as he is slapped in the face with a plot device to involve the Iron Bank and the Golden Company...great. Then we have Littlefinger doing his best impersonation of a 1920s screen villain, at one point I thought he was going to twirl his waxed moustache I kid you not. Saving grace was Sandor and Tywins scenes, which involved two really good actors making the most of what they'd been given.

And really? The best thing on TV? Compared to the cinematic brilliance of True Detective, six minute tracking shots and all. Anything comparable in GoT? Howsabout the brilliant dialogue and stylistic flourish of Mad Men? GoT is not shit, it's OK and sometimes it's really good, but it's also over hyped and at times displays lazy writing and direction.

I don't know how many times I can say this. Jamie is NOT a rapist!!!!

The director said it was consensual. Just read the last paragraph of this article:

http://www.ibtimes.c...roversy-1574209

It's fair to criticize the director, but to call Jamie something he's not, because the director screwed up is unfair.

BTW, Ser Arthur Heath, is that a picture of Cuthbert???

Sister fucker, coward, backstabber, child murderer and child neglecter, worst kings guard ever, of course. But not a rapist.

I honestly think people are too harsh on some of the actors- Emilia, Kit (not so much so far) and Aiden.

Emilia- Really does a fantastic job with the Valyrian dialogue and is written to be seen as a Badass. She also nails the intense Dany gazes from the books. In Season 1 she did great with playing vulnerable Dany but hasn't been given the material to show that again...the show are really playing the Badass card with her (unsullied viewers dig that) and she nails that. The only scene where I haven't been impressed was her facial expression during the Dead slave girl pointing the way to Mereen.

Kit- Granted people aren't moaning as much about this one but the 'he has got better at acting' comments are grating. He is supposed to be all emo and he did really good with sullen Jon is Season 1. His portrayal suffered at points in season 3 but I would say that was more down to the writing and soppy love scenes. I think some people just can't see past pretty boy Jon as opposed to his book counterpart. Also, he is only getting into his authoritative/badass Jon stuff and so far Kit is doing great with it. He portrays more confidence in his voice but looks under heavy burden if you watch closely. Admittedly, I've moaned about how we haven't seen any Stark grief from Jon (yet and vocally at least) but from his posture you can tell he is troubled/exhausted.

Aiden- His accent marks him out as sly and dangerous which really suits Littlefinger.

Anyway, these points aside. Charles Dance was excellent in this episode...I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Tywin!

Edited by ~DarkHorse~

Sister fucker, coward, backstabber, child murderer and child neglecter, worst kings guard ever, of course. But not a rapist.

Sister Fucker- yes, that one is obvious. Also add in the fact that his sister is married to the King he serves so 'Worst Kings Guard' ever also links into this one.

Coward and Backstabber- Killing the mad King proved that he wasn't a coward, he saved hundreds of people while betraying his King and facing possible punishment and scorn. That was very brave and I'm not sure some of the other Kingsguard would have done such a thing. Yes, he backstabbed Aerys but that is perfectly justifiable in my opinion. He was never really loyal/friendly with Robert in the first place...so liar or disloyal would be more appropriate for this one. I think a 'backstabber' suggests a true bond of trust or loyalty that is broken, making it very personal. He never had this with Robert, it was all a farce before it even began- any man who married Cersei would never have his full loyalty.

Child murderer- Granted he was trying to kill Bran. Although, he has changed since then.

Child neglecter- He was in no position to act all fatherly towards his kids seeing as that would be odd and raise suspicion, possibly leading to their deaths. I also think he wants to be their father- suggested when he wanted to marry Cersei.

Worst Kings Guard ever- True...towards Aerys and Robert.

On the show-

Rapist- He did rape Cersei which also makes him a hypocrite when he saves Brienne from being raped.

Kinslayer- He kills his cousin

It makes me wonder why they even bothered cutting out the "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" line .

I think Jaime is officially their model 'grey' character which doesn't bother me but it does when Cersei is being cleaned up at Jaime's expense.

Edited by ~DarkHorse~