How would you rate episode 403?

Ran

How would you rate episode 403?  

629 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

A question about THE scene:

Why does Joffrey have stones on his eyes?

Can't remember what the books say about that. Could anyone inform me of this?

Ser Desmond Wine's Bane explained it, but I'd add the idea was taken from the Romans who put coins over eyes of the dead, so that they can pay a fare for being ferried over the river Styx to the underworld. What I find a bit inconsistent with the world GRRM created is the choice of eyes painted on stones. This would make more sense in old God's religion with faces on weirwood trees. But, in the end … it's ok. That's how D&D see it.

Black Wolf Smith - If people dropped the tone of PC-induced faux outrage at the 'butchering of Saint Jaime', they might realise that the way the scene played out was in context to the changing of the sexual power dynamic of the two characters which has been going on for episodes now without anyone mentioning it, but I moaned about that at the time and have learned to live with it. I do believe that the low ratings this ep has been getting, which is far superior to last week's, is mostly down to that one scene.

Show Jaime doesn't know about the others (not sure if any of them have happened on the show) but this is suppose to be a turning point for both of them. I agree the power dynamic between has been slowly turning, from this point on Jaime doesn't see her the same way, Sex is only a small part of it.

I believe that this show tied 3:1 w/ the highest ratings, most on HBO since the Sopranos final.

It's been getting low ratings here, though. I joined this site about a year and a half ago, and I've never rated an episode with less than 7, and it's taken a fair amount of nitpickings for me to get that low. To an extent, though I'm always dubious about changes to the source, occasionally some of the larger ones are improvements. The Daenarys story arc in season 2 is dramatically stronger than it is in ACoK. And I'm willing to suspend my own biases on occasion when I think an episode would work for me much better if I hadn't read the books, so certain leeway has to be made for non-readers. The one thing which I am concerned about is that non-readers might be getting made to feel too much sympathy at this stage for Cersei, because the way she's being presented now is going to clash with how she is in AFfC, which is pretty much how she's always been in the novels. It won't seem narratively consistent. But to approach what must be seen, on the show, as a more gradual sinking into evil and insanity is going to undermine just how entertaining her pantomime battiness really is.

Beg to differ on Daenerys in S2, and I'm not the only one. For a lot of people it was the first sign that when they go "off-book", their sense of storytelling might well be dramatically inferior to GRRM's. I think S2 remains the lowest rated season on the forum overall for these sorts of reasons, despite also containing one of the most hailed episodes.

Beg to differ on Daenerys in S2, and I'm not the only one. For a lot of people it was the first sign that when they go "off-book", their sense of storytelling might well be dramatically inferior to GRRM's. I think S2 remains the lowest rated season on the forum overall for these sorts of reasons, despite also containing one of the most hailed episodes.

Dany only has 5 chapters in COK. A great amount on the page is inner thoughts. Dany IV is visions, visions, visions... I think Dave and Dan threw up their hands and outlined something 'actionable' , so to speak.

Then didn't write very good dialog for Qarth, and George did not write a single sequence there(I mean the show).

They hired an actress to play Quaithe and hardly involved her.

I thought the first two episodes of season 2 were ok.

What they were going to do with the HoUD must have been a challenge, Dany's visions there, only two, worked for me, and the action in her escape was ok, with a bit of clumsy dialog.

All and all do you think , if D&D were not interested or were flummoxed that they could have looked for a writer to have transfered all the difficult content of Dany's Qarth chapters into good visual drama?

I mean it would have taken some imagination, it might have come out , so to speak, sort of 'abstract'... not exactly box office with most viewers.

I think something could have been done with another writer but they did not make the effort.

They are really over worked so dont know if I can blame them...

Edited by boojam

There was some good stuff like Tyrion and Pod. Tywin and LF had ok scenes.

There was some dull scenes too, Sam and Gilly.

But what really tarnished the episode was the Sept scen with Jaime and Cersei.

Didn't like the Hound robbing the family either.

And the cartoon villainy of the Thenns really didn't help.

Could do better...

I really don't like how they had her lock X and the handmaiden in the tomb. I could see killing them, but that's too horrible and IMO out of character. So I just pretend it didn't happen. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS was also kind of lame.

I really don't like how they had her lock X and the handmaiden in the tomb. I could see killing them, but that's too horrible and IMO out of character. So I just pretend it didn't happen. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS was also kind of lame.

Nothing beats Dany's "Where are my dragons!" troll face

Rating or ranking? Confused

Oh it's not put of character. When she sees an enemy they are treated without mercy. She even tells herself she must not weaken.

• 11 months later...