How would you rate episode 404?

Ran

How would you rate episode 404?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

SER POUNCE!!

I liked the Jaime/Brienne scenes, Tyrion/Jaime, Littlefinger, scenes.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the whole bran arc.

I understand they have to do something, because walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, would be boring on TV.

I like the confirmation about the white walkers that we only get implications from in the books.

Otherwise, pretty good. Not jumping up and down screaming "YAY EPISODE", just "pretty good"

Two points:

This isn't that big of a spoiler, IMO, the last scene. It just confirms stuff everyone pretty much believes, re: Craster's sons (and which is even more the case with the show, as we actually see an Other pick up the child there). Is the guy at the end the Great Other? I doubt it. There seemed to be another 12 (yeah, 13 in total) of him off to one side. Think this is more some sort of ... leadership group. Which is sort of spoilery and sort of not, because while GRRM says they don't have a "culture" per se, someone's got to make them their swords and armor and lead them, I guess.

Also, to be technically accurate, the wolves are not CGI. They are composited into the scene, and are 100% real wolves. I agree they did some great lighting matching, though.

ETA: More thoughts, plus links to the post-episode featurettes from HBO, at the Oathkeeper episode guide. Still working away on the recap (yeah, 5 AM here).

Edited by Ran

A solid 9, while keeping in mind that the books are the books and the show is the show. That said, the non-frostbitten, happy baby bit at the end? Weird, just plain weird and completely inexplicable. Anyway, so much played out tonight with Dany's conquest, Tyrion and Jaime, Sansa and Littlefucker. I even liked Bran and the NW mutineers! Finally got the answer of how much Joff's grieving widow knew. Still the baby - laws of physiology say he shouldn't have made it to wherever the hell the WW took it before dying of frostbite. And the little tyke was so happy - WTF's up with that? Watching again, so good.

Physiological complaints when the books/show has the unburnt mother of dragons and a woman birthing a murderous shadow? It is fantasy, ya know?

Probably one of the worst episodes ever, in my opinion. I barely recognized any of it. The eponymous scene - "Oathkeeper" - seemed shorter than Grey Worm's completely superfluous language lesson. Divergences in Bran's storyline are pointless filler.

Oh, and for the cherry on top, a godawful CGI Targaryen flag and potential - who knows, at this point, what with all the liberties D&D love to take - book spoilers involving the Others. Thanks, HBO!

A solid 9, while keeping in mind that the books are the books and the show is the show. That said, the non-frostbitten, happy baby bit at the end? Weird, just plain weird and completely inexplicable. Anyway, so much played out tonight with Dany's conquest, Tyrion and Jaime, Sansa and Littlefucker. I even liked Bran and the NW mutineers! Finally got the answer of how much Joff's grieving widow knew. Still the baby - laws of physiology say he shouldn't have made it to wherever the hell the WW took it before dying of frostbite. And the little tyke was so happy - WTF's up with that? Watching again, so good.

Magic, dude. The White Walkers are powerful as fuck. I'm sure they have some sort of power to keep the baby alive long enough to change it into what they need it to be.

I should add I don't really dislike giving Jon something to do. But the seams are showing in the story construction to get everything there at the same time in a very clumsy way.

Personally I'd have preferred having better logic for why Bran might be at Craster's Keep (seriously, looking for friendly wildlings?) and maybe to have Jon simply stick to the mutineer idea without having a thought to Bran possibly being there. Let Locke go with him just because he hopes it'll make Jon trust him more, so he can kill him more easily.

It was so weird to be on the whole "I have no clue what the hell is going on right now for once!" as soon as we cut to Bran's storyline.

When the white walker turned up I kept thinking "please be Coldhands and go and kill those mutineers already!" even though I knew it wouldn't be him.

... and then low and behold ... confirmation on how the Others are made.

I gave the episode an 8.

There were so many good scenes that again kind of seemed overshadowed by the end so I'll definitely be rewatching.