How would you rate episode 404?

Ran

How would you rate episode 404?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it a 4 only because the scenes at King's Landing were great. Even if they dumbed down the mystery of who killed Joff. Loved Season 3 and all of the episodes up until last night. So everyone is cool with Jon totally forgetting he has a killer direwolf? "Hey, that's right. Where the frick is Ghost?" That is some really sloppy writing right there. I know they need to do something with Bran since they left out Coldhands (who apparently has no real meaning in the books then), but this is taking it too far. Why did they make Sam tell Jon about Bran? And why not show that kind of powerful scene? So sloppy. And we now have baby Others? Will they gro into toddlers and who watches the kids while the grownups are wreaking havoc? And was Meereen's takeover just as anticlimactic in the books? I know they used the "cock" to ram the walls and stuff but I don't remember them showing any battles. I guess the dragons are on holiday with Ghost and Summer too. :(

I like the surprise in the end of episode for a change, I'm like many that like a bit of deviation from the books and enjoyed some spoilers for the first time. I gave 9 instead of 10 only because the only thing that I don't want to happen is Jon meeting with Bran, so I hope somethings happens and Bran manages to leave before Jon gets there to kick that bunch of cowards ass.

I'm sure this has been thrown out as a possibility, but I'm at work and don't have time to read ALL the replies.

Bran getting captured is PERFECT for the story, and here's why:

- Coldhands shows up and lays waste to the ex-Crows, frees Bran's gang and takes them away, thus being a perfect introduction of Coldhands to the show.

- Jon, Locke and the gang show up and the Keep is in ruins with huddling girls and Ghost protecting them/eating remains of ex-Crows. Jon reunited with Ghost, Jon knows something is off/this wasn't a Wildling raid (girls would be gone), reports back to Castle Black with his first batch of Wildling refugees, causing tension at Castle Black.

- Jon and Bran never meet. If they do, there's no way Jon would let Bran continue on his wild goose chase in the North.

This would actually fit quite nicely. I don't see it happening though.

Worst episode! . A little deviation from the books is to be expected but the only scene in episode 4 which was in book 3 was Jaime and Breane. The scene with Pod wasn't even done right. Some creative license is one thing, episode 4 was a wholesale rewrite of the story.

9/10

Amazing episode. Better than anything from S3 and on par with episode 1 this season. The writing is horribly up and down this season but 2/4 good episodes ain't bad!

Pros

- The Others

- Dany being portrayed properly and them not shying away from the brutal punishment

- Broon

- Pod going with Brienne

- Jon really coming into his role

- Locke

- Queen of Thorns

Cons

- The Others(Hurry up George RR martin!!!)

- Sack of Astapor was way to quick. A few little bits of dialogue would have done a lot.

- Craster's Keep Mess. Not sure what they are planning here but good they slowing Bran's story down I guess

Worst episode! . A little deviation from the books is to be expected but the only scene in episode 4 which was in book 3 was Jaime and Breane. The scene with Pod wasn't even done right. Some creative license is one thing, episode 4 was a wholesale rewrite of the story.

Exactly. I totally understand the need to change things around a bit but last night was just totally reworked. I was okay with the scene with Pod though. To me that blended in well with the story. Nothing else blended in well with the story so I can only assume that now is when things change completely and have nothing to do with the novels. I would not even be surprised if Jon Snow does a Homer Simpson "Dhoh!" when he sees his direwolf caged up. "I KNEW I was forgetting something!"

8 for me this week. Thought it was a really good 'move the story along' kind of episode, and found myself liking the book deviations.

Positives

- LF/Sansa: LF getting Sansa to talk through his moves was a great step in immediately showing that Sansa is about to start learning the game.

- Locke: what great use of him, this is just the kind of plan Roose would make and Locke made Castle Black so much more interesting.

- Olenna/Margaery/Tommen: from Olenna schooling Margaery in feminine manipulation to the bedroom visit so Margaery can lure Tommen away from Cersei's grasp, all very well executed. And Ser Pounce!

- Bran: i might be disagreeing with most here, but liking he has a bit of extra danger to deal with, his story was really flat-lining but business has picked up now.

- Thorne/Slynt: May be only a small part of it but Janos just reminding Thorne that Jon is pretty popular and an election needs to be held so they gotta do something about that, was good because that was pretty important info there, and it was nice to see these two actually strategising instead of being asses.

- Whitewalkers: It felt like the right time to show these guys again. I also love that they are pushing this ambiguity of good or evil. They are scary as hell but we haven't seen them do anything evil, and them being referred to as God-like beings by Craster's Wives really shows we can't see them as villains or monsters.

- Pod/Brienne: Pod's 30 seconds shows real promise to get some Hound/Arya style comedy moments in the future.

Negatives

- Tyrion/Jaime: I wasn't feeling that conversation. It felt too soap opera-like with the constant reminder of the son/brother/sister/uncle/father intertwined family stuff. We get it, you guys are in a screwed up family.

- Sam/Jon: So sick of Sam, glad he wasn't in it for long, his trip to Oldtown better be a lot more riveting.

- Meereen: I found the whole sequence weird. The Grey Worm opening was odd, they went straight from 1 master about to be killed to oh Dany won again, usual Dany speech.

- Craster's Keep: I've seen that actor before in a couple of other things, but he was way OTT in his delivery, i just found him weird instead of finding him intimidating,

Edited by Cyvasse Khal

10 by all means.

As a book reader this was the first time that I was over the edge of my seat shouting and flapping my arms all around.

It was cool to watch unsullied show watchers enjoying the plots of the show.

This time i offered them the side show with my annoyance and my WTF looks.

For me a memorable experience watching TV.

I gave it an eight, a very crisp epsiode that moved along very well even though the story and some of the deviations didn't always make a lot of sense but they made it work. I sort of agree with Ran about the Bran/Jon storyline but its a minor quibble, it works well enough if your not dissecting it. I thought the scene with Dany at the top of the pyramid and the banner flying in the wind was a good visual shot. They sort of rushed through the conquest of Mereen for budget reasons so I can't really argue with them abbreviating this.

You StanStan/"Dany r whytewash'd" people are fucking ridiculous. The showrunners include Dany crucifying the slavers (and even acknowledge that it was unnecessarily cruel with the Barristan bit), yet you nitpick and find the most trivial shit to complain about, BECAUSE HURR DURR THERE'S NO WAY I'M GONNA LET D&D BE RIGHT!!! Scene was rushed, it's a conspiracy! Give me a fucking break. Stannis is my favorite non-POV character and I'm no fan of Dany, yet some of you make me feel ashamed of calling myself a StanStan.

I'm just gonna leave the rate (9/10) and forget everything in this thread before I start using the ignore function.

I also don't see how she was whitewashed. She did still put the Masters up, right? Barristan asked her for Mercy and she rejected it in favor of "Justice" or "Revenge" depending on how you like to think of it.

What did you people want? Ominous music and a shadow of Darth Vader hovering over her? A celebratory dance number extolling the virtues of Stannis?

Am I the only one who did NOT like this episode at all?

Some really good scenes, I like NC-W's acting much more than as he still was the arrogant asshole. A man who has after all found to itself and struggels in finding his place because all his "world" does not at all accept his change... The Brienne-scenes were very good, alos fitting how they changed the way Pod joined her.

Not good: The Tyrell-Littlefinger Plot was told to early. Surely the readers know, but for the unsullied it would be better to riddle if Thyrion did not...

Bran at Crasters? Why? To give him screen-time? The book-scenes of his journey are material enough, I think!

The final scene - a waste of screentime! The tiny Ice-Stonehenge was a joke, and the most interesting thing with the Walkers - nobody knows what they are, from where they are, and what they want - is spoiled

The first time I'm disappointed by the show!

I dont get why this show has to shoehorn characters in some episodes. Like if it fits to give the character scenes, give it to them. Dont force it. i absolutely hated the NW/Crasters Keep/Bran scenes. The whole thing was forced to give him a story...my question is, if his story is lacking, why do they need to have him in the episode. Give that time to another character instead.

Edited by HerNameIsDanyNotKhalessi

I also don't see how she was whitewashed. She did still put the Masters up, right? Barristan asked her for Mercy and she rejected it in favor of "Justice" or "Revenge" depending on how you like to think of it.

What did you people want? Ominous music and a shadow of Darth Vader hovering over her? A celebratory dance number extolling the virtues of Stannis?

I don't know, I guess people wanted her to smiles, clap, and eat popcorn while listening to the screams of men crucified at her orders.

I dont get why this show has to shoehorn characters in some episodes. Like if it fits to give the character scenes, give it to them. Dont force it. i absolutely hated the NW/Bran scenes. The whole thing was forced to give him a story...my question is, if his story is lacking, why do they need to have him in the episode. Give that time to another character instead.

I understand your point but they can't have Bran do nothing the whole Season. It feels forced to you because it didn't happen in the book. I agree that the logic of Bran being there wasn't very good and that could've been handled much better, but for a character that's extremely important to the narrative as a whole, they need to invent some stuff to keep them involved and interesting. Unfortunately it was a bit awkward here, but they're going to need to fill some gaps from the books with invented stuff. I was just glad to see a bit of warging, some of the Reeds, a shot of Ghost, and some WWs.