How would you rate episode 404?

Ran

How would you rate episode 404?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 9/10. The episode would have gotten a lower score but for Ser Pounce!

I loved the way they handled Marg/Tommen. Because neither has a POV in the books, it was nice to see how Marg was able to work on Tommen. I think it will make for an interesting triangle (Marg-Tommen-Cercei). I also really like the actor playing Tommen.

Wasn't keen on Dany's taking down the Masters in Mareen -- it felt very rushed. We see one Master being attacked and then it's over, really?

Not sure how I feel about Bran's arc -- being captured at Crasters just seemed strange and I really didn't like how they just mention that Jon knows that Bran is alive. What? Seems like that is kind of big news to have delivered off-screen. I also thought that Locke just hanging around when Jon and Sam were discussing Bran's whereabouts was a bit lazy.

The WW reveal was surprising. Happy to see more about them and their relationship with Craster's sons.

Sad to see Olenna go. Hope she makes her way back to KL but I don't think she's in any rush to do so. Probably a good idea to get out of town given that she's just killed the King. Finally, why was Olenna messing with Marg's necklace during their scene? What is it about that necklace?

A 7.

A competent episode, well executed.

Dany's segment is a bore, but that the norm rather than the exception for Dany. Her final shot on top of the pyramid with that Targaryan banner above her was ominous. It didn't feel like something to celebrate, it felt like the idea behind that shot was to put a sense of dread into the audience. The shot had an eerie "pre-war rise of the Nazi party" feel to me, which I thought was quite well done. Ofcourse it could all be my own projection.

Jaime's scenes were good, his scenes with Brienne being particularly lovely.

Not sure where they're going with Bran being at Craster's. I'll decide if I like the change after I see how it plays out with Bran and Jon.

Locke, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

The Night's King, and his retinue of 12... well that was new. :lol:

Everything else was fine, nothing much deserving of comment.

Edited by Sun

Dany's segment is a bore, but that the norm rather than the exception for Dany. Her final shot on top of the pyramid with that Targaryan banner above her was ominous. It didn't feel like something to celebrate, it felt like the idea behind that shot was to put a sense of dread into the audience. The shot had an eerie "pre-war rise of the Nazi party" feel to me, which I thought was quite well done. Ofcourse it could all be my own projection.

I agree, I think for the average fanboy or fangirl it was a victory of sorts, but it was presented in a way that should be concerning, especially with Ser Barristan's reticence to crucify the slavers.

As the show starts to separate, under supervision from the tome holder himself, maybe it's time we started separating the two as viewers.

To what purpose?

I'm an avid book reader, and I've been ok with some of the changes and liked them. The Bran stuff I don't (just like I didn't like the 'Dany in front of the gates of Qarth Sumai' crap), because I didn't think it was well done. Someone that year defined Sumai as 'the cutting of one's hand for the sake of plot progression'.

This felt the same, 'needlessly going out from undercover and getting caputured' for the sake of plot progression.

Edited by Eira Seren

I gave this episode an 8/10, which was the highest score I've given for an episode yet this season.

The only two things that prevented this episode was the Locke situation and the Bran situation.

- I'm not sure how they're going to just throw in something as big as Locke looking for Bran and being quite close to that, and resolve it and still be faithful to the books. I'm not happy with the fact that Jon apparently knows Bran's general whereabouts - this is a big deviation for me from canon. Jon's feelings about his family drive a lot of his decisions.

- I don't like the Bran deviation either. How tf are they going to get out of there and with Summer's life intact as well? I guess we will see next Sunday.. I'm ok with filler for the sake of it as long as it doesn't affect OTHER storylines or anything from the books as far as canon... but this is not ok for me either.

- Daenerys's storyline is so boring this season in the show. I loved how she took Meereen in the books, and all of the drama with Jorah and Daario is just so downplayed here. Give my girl some drama and reason to even exist in this show, PLEASE. I am becoming very disappointed with the new Daario actor, even though I had expressed high hopes for him because I had liked him in other shows. The directors could have stretched out the taking of Meereen over at least two episodes, thereby providing "filler" for the show and explaining to Unsullied how it went down a lot better than I feel like they did.

I did love so much about this episode though, that I still feel like it was the best in the season. I loved being spoiled in a way... for me, all new information is good! It's been a long time since my jaw has dropped over learning something new about this world. I don't think that the situaton with the Others is deviating from the books. My boyfriend is currently reading AFFC for the first time and this episode contained spoilers for him from ADWD... so I expect to be spoiled soon enough as it is. Next season will be very interesting if we don't get TWOW beforehand. I will probably not watch it, and discontinue use of the forums until I can read the material first.

3/10

An otherwise workmanlike episode badly marred by everything to do with the North.

Starting with the "who's with me slow stand," which was just agonizing, the rest of the mutineers/Castle Black segment was just IMO a string of nearly pointless shock value moments. The whole thing felt lazy and overtly manipulative - OMG! He's drinking out a skull! OMG! They have Ghost, and they're feeding him human flesh!!!! OMG! Nonstop rape everywhere! OMG! More babies to give away! OMG! A Stark in danger! OMG! Seizure! etc etc etc

It could be that the whole scene would have felt tense if it didn't also feel like it was an arbitrary and ultimately pointless detour designed to inject some contrived tension into Bran's storyline, without the potential for actual consequences. Hope I'm wrong and something significant comes of it.

Also:

* No Stannis

* Gray Worm playing footsie with Missandei. Transforming him from a merciless killing robot into Gray Worm the nonthreatening orphan buddy isn't necessary. We already liked him.

9/10.

Let's say Bryan Cogman did the source material justice and most of the changes were actually to the better and more fit to a screen story-telling. The scene with Brienne's departure was beautifully shot and masterfully acted and I like that they took their time to show all the emotions and motivations of Jaime and Brienne. The taking of Meereen was fabulous, the way that Targaryen banner was hanging over the harpy of Meereen was a really good way to go. There has been a lot of set-up as well, but I think Cogman's writing improved what could otherwise be boring or uninteresting - I particularly liked the changes they did with Locke joining the Night's Watch, the mutineers, Bran's little company and Ghost (those direwolves are great). It almost feels like they really want to efficiently end some story lines in this season so they can move on in following seasons without it being too packed. Littlefinger was amazing, that scene explained what happened at the wedding in an interesting way. What also pleased me were the little references from the books that had been thought to get cut. The one thing I was unsure about was the ending with the White Walkers (not that I would complain about the CGI or any aspect of cinematography, but we can already see little, however vague, spoilers from unpublished books creeping in).

This was a very well-written and well-directed episode which gave us many important moments and some great action, while setting up some plot lines that needed to be set up before the real action arrives.

Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4: 7;10;8;9/10.

One thing kinda irritated me, it's really a small thing and I'm definitely nitpicking, but when Olenna says "back when marrying Targaryens was all the rage", I don't like the "all the rage" line, not fitting for the show at all.

I usually am not very nitpicky, but that line really stood out to me as well. Then, I tried to think of another way to convey her thoughts and felt like something else could have felt too contrived.

Didn't like it. The show has devolved from adaptation to poorly written fan-fiction. 3/10.

Highlights:

• Other scene was real lame. Like really really lame. Worst thing in the entire series so far.
  • The Craster's Keep crew was hilariously one-dimensional.
  • Bran getting captured...yawn.
  • How/why did they capture Ghost, and why didn't they kill him?
  • Margery...ugh...I immediately tune out when she's on screen. Just boring.
  • Jon Snow scene wasn't bad until the cliche slow stand.
  • Uh...the hell is Roose Bolton's toady doing there? Okay, to kill Jon Snow, but...why join the Night's Watch? Take like 2-300 men to the wall and demand his head! Lame as hell, and lazy writing.
  • Jamie and Cersei acting like nothing happened after the rape (might not have been meant that way, but the scene was shot that way).
  • Grey Worm and Missandei Romance -- English teaching bs. Lame. The guy is eunuch from early childhood, what exactly is the appeal of a woman?

Some things I liked:

• Jon Snow's scenes until the cliche standing crap.
  • Direwolves are back on screen, though pretty damn useless as ever. Still, nice to see them.
  • Danearys' scene was passable, but a little too quick, but we're going to see that she's a pretty awful ruler from now, I hope.

The Littlefinger scene was meh. I don't believe he had Jeoffrey killed and only said it to screw with Sansa. If true it only further makes his character into the one-dimensional "Dick Dastardly" mustache twirler the show-runners envision him as.

10/10.

1. Daenerys bit was outstanding. Her scene with Selmy and the look in the old knight's eyes when she said she would answer justice with justice and he began to worry whether he has been witnessing another Aerys in the making, was beyond great. The last scene with the great pyramid overshadowed by Targaryen flag and ominous sky and her standing alone was, imho, homage to Leny Riefenstahl and "Trymph of the Will". Epic and ominous.

2. Olenna/Marg excellent

3. Marg/Tommen outstanding. Great acting on Dean-Charles Chapman's part. Subtle and emotional. He managed to introduce his character in one scene. That's way beyond his years. Great talent.

4. Cersei/Jaime rift widens. Two great actors. Everything is in the eyes.

5. Jaime/Brienne was almost my favourite part, but the Others trump all. Emotional, moving, deep, meaningful. Superb acting. Even Bronn and Pod as sidekicks could not reduce the electrical charge.

6. Locke is my favourite psychopath on the show right now. NW scenes immaculate.

7. Crasters keep - Sodom and Gomorra. Brilliant.

8. The Others - that goes way beyond epic. Great spoiler. Answers some questions, opens thousands more. Visually, it was more than viewers could hope for.

Finally, my cap goes down to direction. Unlike episode 2 that had serious problems with continuity, this one is a directorial masterpiece. I bow to Michelle MacLaren.

Edited by Modesty Lannister

I hate how they spoiled the books :ack: . I'm not watching this show anymore :bang:

At some point they're going to have to spoil the books, so I'd suggest you quit watching sooner rather than later if that's going to bother you.

Having said that, since there's no possible way you can logically articulate what they allegedly "spoiled" already I'd also suggest that the folks complaining are doing so simply for the sake of doing so.

At some point they're going to have to spoil the books, so I'd suggest you quit watching sooner rather than later if that's going to bother you.

Having said that, since there's no possible way you can logically articulate what they allegedly "spoiled" already I'd also suggest that the folks complaining are doing so simply for the sake of doing so.

Spoken like a true Hound!

I have to say seeing Ghost caged up baffles me. How the hell did those hacks, who couldnt fight themselves out of a wet paper bag, manage to capture that huge beast?

At least we know they're too stupid to actually try killing him, so we'll hopefully get to watch Ghost(and Summer) tear some of them to pieces.

As for the guy asking why Roose doesnt send hundreds of guys to the wall to get at Jon, rather then just Locke...quite simple. They wanna secretly figure out where Bran and Rickon may have went, and for that it requires a bit of stealth. Roose doesnt want more people from the North knowing there are more Starks still around, lest they flock to their side. And as for Jon, he's a member of the NW. They cant just take his head.

Am I the only one who did NOT like this episode at all?

The final scene - a waste of screentime! The tiny Ice-Stonehenge was a joke, and the most interesting thing with the Walkers - nobody knows what they are, from where they are, and what they want - is spoiled

The first time I'm disappointed by the show!

You weren't impressed by Ice Henge?! You're hard to please

http://www.glacialart.com/game-of-thrones-call-on-glacial-art/

I think some of you have are so enamored with the show you've lost all sense of perspective and objectivity. Browsing through some of the responses of those that loved this episode I am left shaking my head. Are you the same people keeping that abomination of a show The Walking Dead on air? :stillsick:

A few examples:

- Glowing about Chapman's acting as Tommen. People, all he did was sit in his bed and look shy. Really, that's not Emmy award winning stuff there.

- The scene at Caster's was brutal. Nimm's response (a few above mine) is bang on. It was way too much and the brutality was not necessary. Unless this plot arc has huge implications that we don't know of we didn't need to see all that.

- The chemistry between Pod and Brienne. I must have missed something there, they were together all of about 15 seconds and the only interaction between them was Pod calling her "sir" (or "sire", or whatever). I'm sure they'll be great but let it happen first :)

- Littlefinger, the man who is constantly scheming behind the scenes decides to tell Sansa - the person he's done his best to show he's a conniving weasel - that he murdered the king. People, Petr didn't get to were he is by flapping his gums and bragging. He works in the shadows, he keeps his true intentions hidden. He doesn't tell some 13-year-old (or she 14 now? 12?) his whole master plan. I'm glad they dealt with the mystery of Joff's murder in one respect but this scene didn't make any sense.

On the plus side the surprise ending with The Others was, well, a surprise. Though I would be much happier if we got an update on the army of them that's been strolling south since S2. They could probably use Google Maps.:)

I have to say seeing Ghost caged up baffles me. How the hell did those hacks, who couldnt fight themselves out of a wet paper bag, manage to capture that huge beast?

At least we know they're too stupid to actually try killing him, so we'll hopefully get to watch Ghost(and Summer) tear some of them to pieces.

As for the guy asking why Roose doesnt send hundreds of guys to the wall to get at Jon, rather then just Locke...quite simple. They wanna secretly figure out where Bran and Rickon may have went, and for that it requires a bit of stealth. Roose doesnt want more people from the North knowing there are more Starks still around, lest they flock to their side. And as for Jon, he's a member of the NW. They cant just take his head.

The same way they trapped Summer - with a wolf trap that was probably made by Crasters.

I think some of you have are so enamored with the show you've lost all sense of perspective and objectivity. Browsing through some of the responses of those that loved this episode I am left shaking my head. Are you the same people keeping that abomination of a show The Walking Dead on air? :stillsick:

A few examples:

- Glowing about Chapman's acting as Tommen. People, all he did was sit in his bed and look shy. Really, that's not Emmy award winning stuff there.

- The scene at Caster's was brutal. Nimm's response (a few above mine) is bang on. It was way too much and the brutality was not necessary. Unless this plot arc has huge implications that we don't know of we didn't need to see all that.

- The chemistry between Pod and Brienne. I must have missed something there, they were together all of about 15 seconds and the only interaction between them was Pod calling her "sir" (or "sire", or whatever). I'm sure they'll be great but let it happen first :)

- Littlefinger, the man who is constantly scheming behind the scenes decides to tell Sansa - the person he's done his best to show he's a conniving weasel - that he murdered the king. People, Petr didn't get to were he is by flapping his gums and bragging. He works in the shadows, he keeps his true intentions hidden. He doesn't tell some 13-year-old (or she 14 now? 12?) his whole master plan. I'm glad they dealt with the mystery of Joff's murder in one respect but this scene didn't make any sense.

On the plus side the surprise ending with The Others was, well, a surprise. Though I would be much happier if we got an update on the army of them that's been strolling south since S2. They could probably use Google Maps. :)

I think I remember LF telling Sansa he had Joffrey killed in the books...that "always keep your foes confused" is right out of the books...

Edited by HerNameIsDanyNotKhalessi