How would you rate episode 404?

Ran

How would you rate episode 404?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

You all do realize that they're setting up Jon getting to meet Jojen and Meera, the children of the one person in Westeros who knows who Jon's mother really is and who could possibly reveal information more astounding for non-book readers (and many book readers) than the Red Wedding? Heck Jojen may have learned that info from one of his epileptic green dreams already.

Let Bran's storyline diverge a little. This could be a good thing!

au contrare, ser False.

My first reads of Feast -and to a lesser extent Dance- were disappointing, in a "i need to know what happens next" sense.

Sure, it all feels of sightseeing after the thrills of aSoS, but then with 2 books to go yet, what wouldn't?

However, upon further readings, the plot development and in particular the writing throughout aFfC & aDwD are amongst the most savory of all. Apart from characters we already know, there's the The Red Priest+ a Melisandre POV, the brilliant Saltpans chapters, intro to more Tyrells, Martells and Gerold Dayne.

Danaerys' discontent in Mereen is hardly "filler"; it is key to where her character is headed. She's a teenage conquerer with all the difficulties this involves, after all, not just some fantasy princess waiting to ride in on her dragon to save the day.

We're not bitching, anyways. It's just noticing something that the writers apparently thought we wouldn't, and that's discouraging.

I would agree if the plot actually advanced. Instead, we got a bunch really boring travelogue, repetitious catch phrases, and lame cliffhangers. The writing was great, but that only matters so much. Even if you aren't bitching, you're giving GRRM a pass.

I to love the new arc with Bran & Jon, kind of a play on the Araya almost getting to her mother & brother from last season. I think that also with Bran growing so fast they only have but so much more time with this actor. Remember, hordor is suppose to be carrying bran around on his back in a basket. This kid just shot up over the past 2 years. they have about 3/4 ( maybe) seasons left to this series. He will outgrow this part for sure. Unless GRRM jumps ahead a few years. I have a feeling with Araya they may do the samething ( though I don't see Massie outgrowing her part, she seems on the short side). However, I can see them dumping a lot of her story line also. They may hit on the boat ride here & there. I think depending if WOW is out yet or not, they may just hit on a few key spots & then proceed to the bigger story of the book( meeting up with Sam, etc....)

I love picking Books, Movies & TV shows apart ( that is just me) however, I don't have strokes when things are different from book to Movies/TV. Just as long that the changes aren't too far off the mark. I do like it when changes are make, because then it gives me another version other than the 1 I already know. Something else to think about. Thinking OUTSIDE of the Box is always good. If people are upset about the few changes in the show ( laughs) just wait for the next few seasons. I see a lot of stuff being omitted ( do to DRAG) from the book. This series has way too much info for a 10 shows , 1 hour episodes series each year. Frankly with all the ratings & such that this show brings, I think that they should get a Much bigger budget & the show expanded to 1.5 or dare I say 2 hour show. We do after all get cheated a few min at the start & end of the show. I can't believe it we are almost at the half way point already. DAMN.

I rated the episode 7/10, I think it was a good one, I particularly enjoyed the beginning with Daenerys and also the part with Jon but I was not that happy with many things. I know it can be good to change a few things from the books, it's always interesting to see but I don't like the changes they made to Margaery, I just don't think she's that interesting as a character in the show while I liked her a lot in the books.

Bonus points for Ser Pounce!

Love this tidbit from a review of the episode at TotH, speaking of the final Night's King/Baby scene:

"After the initial, superficial thrill of horror wears off, this week's closing scene reveals itself as the laziest trick of all; a cheap, cynical shock ploy that says nothing and means nothing aside from expressing the writers' desperate desire for continued viewership."

Btw I completely agree with the entire review. He nails it. The author does a great job of getting past the hype and admonishing the writers for a lazy effort and some poor scripting, a growing trend this season. If you loved this episode see if you still agree after reading that (I assume you know where to find it :))

I suspect the walker bit is in there simply to act as a reminder of the existential threat beyond the Wall, a threat that endangers everyone, rather than as "a ploy".

Going 7/10 because there were too many little to medium things that detracted from a great episode for me. They may come up with a gangbusters reasoning behind everyone being at Crasters but right now a lot of that is falling flat for me.

Jaime, Tyrion, Jon - all superb portayals.

LF...just pick a freaking voice and stick with it.

The leading of Jon for LC, Crasters...just not done well.

Love this tidbit from a review of the episode at TotH, speaking of the final Night's King/Baby scene:

"After the initial, superficial thrill of horror wears off, this week's closing scene reveals itself as the laziest trick of all; a cheap, cynical shock ploy that says nothing and means nothing aside from expressing the writers' desperate desire for continued viewership."

Btw I completely agree with the entire review. He nails it. The author does a great job of getting past the hype and admonishing the writers for a lazy effort and some poor scripting, a growing trend this season. If you loved this episode see if you still agree after reading that (I assume you know where to find it :))

Assume nothing.

I'm suprised so many people liked this episode. I honestly think it was the worst of all series. This is the only episode that felt short. When the screen went black my first thought was "is that it?" it felt only about 1/2 an episode. It didn't feel like a great deal happened. The Jaime plot seemed very strange after the previous encounter in the sept. My opinion on the infamous rape scene is that it was a directorial mistake and was not supposed to be rape and as it was in the books but the director or actors screwed it up. The knock on effect of that is that Jaime's redemption seems completely false now. Although it always did in a way.

Admittedly though I am an Arya fan. So any episode without Ary is going to fall a little flat.

Edited by Banner Without Brothers

A 9 for me because there were so many great scenes that they outweighed the bad.

Jaime/Bronn

Jaime/Tyrion

Jaime/Brienne

Littlefinger

Jon's speech (the actor seems ALLOT better!)

Other than the rather strange capture of Bran (how did they get surrounded so easily?, the camera might not be able to see them approaching but Bran and co should)

I thought Bran's/Craster Keeps scenes were good. It is not as if he had some great book storyline which has been sacrificed for this.

Merreen scenes were good, if more than a little rushed. It is a shame HBO cant provide a bit more budget for a show which makes so much money for them.

Edited by JagLover

You all do realize that they're setting up Jon getting to meet Jojen and Meera, the children of the one person in Westeros who knows who Jon's mother really is and who could possibly reveal information more astounding for non-book readers (and many book readers) than the Red Wedding? Heck Jojen may have learned that info from one of his epileptic green dreams already.

Let Bran's storyline diverge a little. This could be a good thing!

Very good point