What if Robert died of his injuries after Killing Rhaegar ?

Jose Stark

Hmmm. After giving it 5 minutes of thought, my money is on Tywin. Reason being, Stannis would still be resentful of Robert who considered Jon as a father figure (iirc), and Hoster is too closely associated with the Robert/Eddard/Jon foster family (through Lysa and Catelyn). So Tywin, having had previous experience of being a Hand (and all that money) would probably get the nod. Hmmm. I'll probably change my mind in 5 minutes from now. ^^

You're assuming that Stannis would have a choice. :D

And you're also assuming that Stannis would want to reward the child-murdering, late-to-the-cause Lannisters by elevating Tywin to the second most powerful position in the Realm. I really doubt that Stannis' sense of law and justice would allow him to do that.

The opposite of Tywin is Jon Arryn - the man whose honor dictated that he not only protect his wards, but also rise against a King who orders the murder of innocents. And we actually see him working side-by-side with Stannis when he brought his suspicions about the children to him.

If Stannis became King after Robert died, then I see the best possible outcome for Tywin being a pardon and possibly a marriage to Cersei. But Stannis wouldn't let the Lannisters get as powerful as Robert did. If Stannis had become King after RR Westeros would be in a much better state than it is now.

@ Crannog:

See, I knew I would change my mind again! Darn it. :P

I was hedging my bets on the concept of Aerys being deposed/dead, Tywin not having to sack KL, the remaining Targaryens being removed from Westeros completely. Then I realised that the Targ babies would probably grow up with entitlement issues much like Dany and Viserys.

But again, there's always Mace (hahahaha), Cortnay Penrose (I don't recall how long he'd been castellan of Storm's End), and Randyll (ack!) Tarly.

Jon A's starting to look pretty good with a little bit of hindsight. O.O

Then they would've crowned his heir, Stannis.

Edit: And the poor bastard would've probably had to marry Cersei...

This

The Baratheons had the best claim, though the way Ned phrases it it sounds like he had a Targ claim as well somewhere way back. Most of the great houses probably do by now.

Jon Arryn had no heir and Ned did not want to rule and wanted to go back home to mourn his dead.

So, Stannis probably seeing as they eventually based their decision on Targaryen line of succession (even if it was essentially by right of conquest).

The rebellion continues so long as Aerys sits the Iron Throne. I think someone still bumps off Aerys once Rhaegar dies though. Lannisters, Targaryens, gold cloaks . . . who knows.

But with Robert's fervent anti-Targaryen sentiment removed, I wonder if Ned and Jon Arryn would be amenable to a peace settlement with a new Targaryen king. I could definitely see a Targ loyalist (Varys) proclaiming Aegon's ascension, then offering out Rhaenys, Daenerys, and Viserys as wards to Ned Stark, Hoster Tully, and Jon Arryn as part of a peace deal. Eventually marrying Rhaenys to Robb Stark, Daenarys to Edmure Tully, and Viserys to someone (who?) could secure a lasting peace. There would have to be some other concessions to the rebels, probably Jon Arryn as Hand and some land and gold. But that could be arranged easily.

That said, I don't have any doubt that if Ned and Jon Arryn don't want a Targaryen at all, both will turn to Stannis. He is Robert's heir, Ned and Jon Arryn are both committed to the right and legal way of doing things, and Stannis is at least a capable commander (if still young). Both of them in fact do turn to Stannis once they find out about Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen. I think they would in this situation as well.

1. Rebels win the Trident, both leaders die.

2. Tywin sacks King's Landing; Aerys, Aegon and Rhaenys killed.

3. Stannis is agreed to be king, neither Ned, Jon or Hoster want the Iron Throne, the Targs are out and Tywin wants to marry Cersei to a King, Stannis being the only option since Viserys is 5 or so.

4. Jaime either takes the black (which could create serious issues with Tywin), or he is sent back to Casterly Rock in disgrace, which means lots of black haired blue eyed kids. It's also possible that Stannis is pissed at Tywin too, which could create even more war, I can't see Stannis turning down the throne though, he would see it as his duty.

5. Jon Arryn will be Hand, certainly not Tywin.

Stannis will be King, and Stannis being stannis, well, I don't really see a different fate for the Targaryens. Man wanted to kill his own blood, can't see him having much of a care for Targaryens.

Of course, the marriage between Stannis and Cersei would have been...different.

Oh my, most likely they'll turn to Stannis since they've already backed Robert, but who knows what Tywin does? I mean, neither Ned nor Arryn seem the type to reward him, and I doubt Stannis would either. If Tywin sacks the City and Stannis is crowned King I find it likely that Stannis sends Jaime to the Wall and maybe even punishes Tywin for the unnecessary brutality. I don't know what way he'd swing with Tywin, though I'd like to think he'd say something like "thank you for my Kingdom, Lord Tywin, and now, here is your reward" and points to the gallows or something.

Stannis would presumably be the one the rebellion installed

Assuming the outcome of the Trident is still the same, Ned would have kept the fight on in Stannis's name and marched on KL, Tywin still sacks the city

Stannis would presumably be the one the rebellion installed

Assuming the outcome of the Trident is still the same, Ned would have kept the fight on in Stannis's name and marched on KL, Tywin still sacks the city

It leaves a tricky situation in Storm's End that I hadn't thought about though; if Stannis was captured(it would be worth it to assault the castle, no matter the losses) things could change a lot on that front as well

It leaves a tricky situation in Storm's End that I hadn't thought about though; if Stannis was captured(it would be worth it to assault the castle, no matter the losses) things could change a lot on that front as well

Where was Renly?

It depends on whether the survivors would be at all willing to keep a Targ. If they were, then I like a previous poster's idea of Rhaenys, Dany, and Viserys as wards to various rebel leaders.

If not, then Stannis or Ned gets installed.

Man, Stannis and Cersei... that would be the marriage from hell for both parties.

He was one of Stannis's lieutenants in the castle. If it had fallen, both of Robert's brothers would've been captured or killed.

In that case Ned would probably have allowed for a Targaryen to take the crown, if the sack of KL still happened, he'd suggest Jon Arryn probably

although robert hadnt been crowned yet, i'm fairly certain they put him forward pretty early on as there claimant to throne if they won (hence why JonCon was so eager to locate him in Stoney Sept) so it would be unlikely the rebels, especially Ned and Jon, would go back on there word and not declare Stannis to be there new King.

Not sure how well Tywin knew Stannis' personality at that time, but I still think there's a good chance he would go to KL to sack it anyway. His reasons were to bind himself to Roberts cause, I cant see that reason changing if Stannis became King, Tywin wasnt that interested in how good a king robert would be, so i'm unsure if he would do much different if it was Stannis instead

However, it would still be interesting to see what happens when Ned shows up at Storms End, as the dynamic has changed completely, with both Stannis and Renly, the last two surviving Baratheons, being in Storms End, and the Tyrells being between them and any relief attempts. Perhaps Mace fights, or he gets better terms in order to let them go. Stannis might not marry Cersei as Robert did (what a marriage that would be) he might exclude the Tyrells and the Lannisters from governing the realm

Archived