[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

Please. With all the names and plots the Previously On... had to go through, I don't blame the Unsullied for not focusing on the sword. Maybe they thought execution was the binding theme in those clips, not the sword itself.

I forgot the sword reforging was going to be in this episode (forgot they named it two swords) so whenthey showed Ice in the preview i was like "wtf" then it donned on me.

I agree - the highlight clips didn't do a good job of focusing on the sword, rather than the executions, as unifying the action. (Wasn't there a scene with Catelyn and Ned discussing Ice that could have worked better?) I watched Season 1 before reading the books, and I'm pretty sure I had no idea that they'd used Ice for Ned's execution.

There's the scene in the pilot where Ned is cleaning it in the godswood and Cat comes to give him the news about Jon Arryn, but they don't actually discuss the sword itself.

I hate to say it, but that's sort of an Achilles heel of the show - some of the pertinent details are lost on the viewers because, in an attempt to keep things interesting, they're presented with too much other stuff going on at the same time (Littlefinger telling the story about his duel with Brandon while a pair of lesbians are climaxing against each other comes to mind...).

There's the scene in the pilot where Ned is cleaning it in the godswood and Cat comes to give him the news about Jon Arryn, but they don't actually discuss the sword itself.

I hate to say it, but that's sort of an Achilles heel of the show - some of the pertinent details are lost on the viewers because, in an attempt to keep things interesting, they're presented with too much other stuff going on at the same time (Littlefinger telling the story about his duel with Brandon while a pair of lesbians are climaxing against each other comes to mind...).

Not to nitpick, but I wouldn't necessarily say the women in that scene were a pair of lesbians. They were two prostitutes being ordered to perform something by LF while he yapped. I must say, that is one scene I particularly hate, and I usually FF through it now on rewatches.

I agree - the highlight clips didn't do a good job of focusing on the sword, rather than the executions, as unifying the action. (Wasn't there a scene with Catelyn and Ned discussing Ice that could have worked better?) I watched Season 1 before reading the books, and I'm pretty sure I had no idea that they'd used Ice for Ned's execution.

The name "Ice" has never been used on the show, nor the notion of house swords.

My Unsullied friends mostly like Oberyn but since "he's cool, he's probably going to die". No bets as to him doing anything else before his demise.

They keep waiting for Dany to show up, "any day now" in Westeros. I really put a lot of blame on the commercials that air the dragon shadow flying over King's Landing for that.

Everyone loves the Hound, but always refer to him as "Dog" lol.

A couple think Tyrion is going to turn on his family completely and help Sansa reestablish the Stark House.

My Unsullied friends mostly like Oberyn but since "he's cool, he's probably going to die". No bets as to him doing anything else before his demise.

Yeah, my best friend said the exact same thing. He didn't know who "Oberyn" or "the Dornishman" were, by the way; I had to refer to him as "the orgy guy" *facepalm* He said "he is very cool, but he doesn't seem to be very fond of his life" :rolleyes:

I actually had an unsullied coworker remark on the significance of the swords and he actually asked me about who gets the other of the two swords that Tywin had forged. He correctly guessed it would be Joffrey, but he was irritated because he really wanted Tyrion to have it.

He also really wants Oberyn to kill Joffrey.

And of course he does not suspect in the least that Joff is finally going to bite it tomorrow night. So I'm excited for when I go to work on Tuesday. :D

My dad didn't get the sword being Ned's but thought it was a cool scene. As the credits started I went "Oberyn is the sexiest motherfucker evar" and my stepmother replied, "...he's pretty terrible." The biggest laughs came from the Hound's chickenmongering.

I'm so looking forward to the wedding, mainly because of the reactions it's gonna cause.

A unsullied friend and me had a discussion before the season started as he was rewatching the last one and he was basically asking: "I almost fell like a psychopath for wanting a teenage boy suffer really hard and die a horrible death, but he so totally deserves it, is that still normal?" :lol:

II'm seriously wondering how people will react, because upon reading I remember it felt first way too good to be happy about someone dying, but then one started to almost miss him. Although GRRM and I guess also the showproducers are thankfully giving us other people to channel the hate on.

I'm excited for tonight. I am making a feast to celebrate Joffrey's wedding. And I have two Unsullied friends coming over to watch with me. I'll be sure to post their take on the events. :laugh:

Archived