[Book spoilers] Thenn Cannibalism

averde

This was one thing that didn't bother me in the least. First, because I have little to nothing recollection from the books of what the Thenns are like, and second, because I really don't see why it makes a difference that a random Wilding tribe is cannibal or not. I kind of expected something more dramatic, than an arm, like a head or a whole corpse or something, but that arm was not even closing to disturbing or disgusting, in my opinion. Especially compared to the mob scene when the crowd tears off the High Septon's arm and raises it in victory which was, to some extent both (disturbing and disgusting).

Me too! I expected a torso, that bag seemed kinda full. (I started watching Walking Dead the other day so my gore-guts-and-blood tolerance is pretty high :p )

Thenns are now cannibals in the show, there will be no "House Thenn" and there may not be any marriage. Its easy to hate a cannibal and root for Tormund, who seems sane compared to these guys. Or maybe the Karstark girl shows up and marries...Tormund?? I like the theory stated above. I too was put off by their looks, they are brutal and intimidating. How do you settle a group of cannibals in Westeros?

I dunno, how do you settle a group of human flaying Boltons, semi-nomadic frog eating Reeds, and primae noctis rapist Umbers in Westeros? The North is full of wild weirdos. I didn't mind the merging the ice river clans with the Thenn. I think it makes for an interesting contradiction, in that the Thenns are simultaneously more civilized and less civilized than other wildlings. I see the Thenns as largely a continuation of the vestigial capability for savagery of the First Men as already observed in House Bolton.

I hope Alys hasn't been completely cut though (she doesn't even need to be cast for the unveiling of House Thenn to be announced). Some people say it doesn't play a significant role in the books, but we still have two books left! It might be immensely important.

I got the impression they were cutting off the arm before putting it on the spit.

The arm was a bit lame. For effect, they should have pulled out some barely-live peasant, hacked his limbs off and stuck him straight on the spit.

Mel_Rose,

The problem is that at the end, the point of the story is that those wildlings were not the real threat and that they were not that bad. The entire plot of ADWD revolves around this. If they are not significantly better than the White Walkers, why should Jon ally with them.

Also, Alys Karstark is supposed to marry one of those men. They are people, no mindless savages.

The Southrons have their Cleganes and Boltons, the Wildlings have the Thenns. That's diversity, and not a bad thing at all. Not every wildling has to be a nice, hearthy Tormund methinks. I think it was time they reminded the audience that there are bad people everywhere.

I liked it. Made them a bit more impactful for the non-book reading audience.

If they were introduced as the "most civilized of the wildling clans", I think the Tv audience would have lost interest in them pretty quickly.

Hated the cannibal idea so much. It just plays in to the ignorant Southron stereotyping of what Wildlings are like and why they shouldn't be allowed past the wall.

And Tormund has been such a let down, he's nothing like he is in the books. He actually made the Wildlings seem normal

This is the second hint that the show won't introduce Alys Karstark. The first was Melisandre meeting Arya when visiting Dondarion's lot so she can't mistake Alys for Arya anymore. I'd find it quite disturbing if John gives Karhold to a bunch of cannibals.

Good catch! I didn't think about that being an implication of the Melisandre scene the first time around. Too bad; I would have liked the settling of Westeros with the House of Thenn's creation (one of my favorite things Jon did as LC), but I get why they'd cut it. Ultimately, I trust the show runners to know which auxiliary plot-lines to leave in and which not to.

Thenns were the worst part of the episode. This "heel turn" (more like a demon turn) does not make sense at all.

Yeah, I mean those guys in the books were pretty saintly if I remember correctly. Never described as "savages" that I'm aware of (oh wait, the Wiki on this site says exactly that, my bad).

I am really curious as to what people imagined the Thenns to look like. Bald warriors with no ears who fanatically followed a leader, forged vicious weapons, didn't get along with any other Wildlings and fought with giants all the time. Sounds like they were pretty tame dudes.

The Southrons have their Cleganes and Boltons, the Wildlings have the Thenns. That's diversity, and not a bad thing at all. Not every wildling has to be a nice, hearthy Tormund methinks. I think it was time they reminded the audience that there are bad people everywhere.

But the Thenns are supposed to become Jon's allies. The point of Jon's arch in ADWD is learning to treat the wildlings as real humans, and that will be difficult to swallow with cruel canibals.

And while as you say variety is good, depicting everything in extremes is not. You can have the Thenns being a little bad, or quite bad, or even very bad, without the need to having them be outright monsters.

But the Thenns are supposed to become Jon's allies. The point of Jon's arch in ADWD is learning to treat the wildlings as real humans, and that will be difficult to swallow with cruel canibals.

And while as you say variety is good, depicting everything in extremes is not. You can have the Thenns being a little bad, or quite bad, or even very bad, without the need to having them be outright monsters.

I imagine the Thenns will all be wiped out during the battle at Castle Black so you won't need to worry about what Jon does with them since there won't be any left to deal with. Someone's overthinking things it appears.

The fact is, they've done a pretty poor job at really getting the TV audience to understand how serious the Wildling threat is. The Thenns being so clearly brutal was a perfect way to set the tone for the stakes. I didn't mind the change, and it made for a pretty foreboding scene.

The Thenns won't be players after this season. They're being set up to be fodder for the attack in E9 and Styr is being built up to be Jon's big adversary during the battle that he'll have to kill.

People reading any more into this are getting inside their head too much.

The Thenns won't be players after this season. They're being set up to be fodder for the attack in E9 and Styr is being built up to be Jon's big adversary during the battle that he'll have to kill.

People reading any more into this are getting inside their head too much.

I think you are right. They probably combined Thenns and Skagosi right here and they're building the Thenns up for the big battle for the wall and Styr's battle with Jon. Later Jon will just make a pact with other wildlings and maybe someone else will marry Alys. if that will even be a part of the story (not likely). On the other hand they can still make a later turnaround that only some Thenns were cannibals. I personally liked the overall appearance of the Thenns with those scars and all.

I had two huge problems with it though.

1- the Thenn represent the real historical barbarians though, like Gaul or Germania from Roman times. Very savage but with a very unqiue and fairly advanced society. I was really excited to see them.

2. ASOIAF is so largely based on the grey characters and no one being wholly evil or good. It's especially one of the main themes involving the storyline between the Nights Watch and the Wildlings. I thought of the Battle at the Wall being a tragedy for both sides, making it impossible to root for either team.

Didn't like it. Looked like a bunch of leftover extras from the movie Doomsday.

What I DID like though, was the showing of Wildlings as NOT being united beforehand, really hammering home that MANCE is bringing these people, who are VERY different and usually HATE each other together. I just think they could have done that without the fucking naff look so bald and scarred and creepy UGLY = EVIL bullshit. If they were Skagosi, I'd be like HELL FUCKING YEH, Thenns? Uhhh....OK then....

Archived