[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

O yes another thought about the Arya Hound tavern fight.

One: In the book Arya did not hang back from the brawl as long.

Two: She essentially saves Sandor's life, which I think kind of surprised him.

I don't mind that they left out his ambiguous 'fatal injury'... they can cook up something else for that later.

Everything in King's Landing feels like a soap-opera and glorified fanfiction at this point. It felt like that in season 3 as well. Too much pointless filler, too little things of actual importance. Although I guess that's what happens when you have to stretch 300 pages over 10 hours....

Jaime Tywinn was more heated in the books.

I don't know how I feel about Jaime and Brienne being in KL before the wedding, I guess we'll see how they play it off.

So glad they made a shout out to Arthur Dayne! Maybe now they'll finally stop merging him and Baristan together. I hope they go into more depth regarding the character, and the TOJ etc.

Brienne has the hair to be a Lannister, but Jaime does not!

I don't have too much to nitpick on though. Most of it was pretty good, with no glaring changes.

They didn't cook the goat! I'm pretty sure they even established back in season two that dragons only eat cooked meat too.

They can cook it themselves now :P.

ARE THEY EVER GOING TO NAME THE DRAGONS?!

Ok so Drogon ,Rhaegal and Viserion are getting a little disorderly , expected.

Still remember the Valyrians were dragon masters for thousands of years, how did they do that?

They didn't cook the goat! I'm pretty sure they even established back in season two that dragons only eat cooked meat too.

Dany remembers that in the book when they were just small.

I just assumed that the 'cooking' was off-screen.

Jaime's hair

Jon was better with a sword than Robb was.

Whats with the Thenn scars, did that really need to be a thing?

How was Emilia Clarke nominated for an Emmy?

Necklaces? You have limited time for a lot of characters and you're doing a scene about necklaces?

Dany remembers that in the book when they were just small.

I just assumed that the 'cooking' was off-screen.

There's also a scene in season two, I'm almost sure, where Dany and one of the handmaidens give little Drogon meat and he cooks it. Anyway my impression last night was that Visereon and Rhaegal had already eaten most of the goat, without cooking it before it landed near Dany.

I was in fact sort of pleased with this episode, they didn't make a botch of it, as they did of S02E01. There was little wasted screen time.

Lame things that bothered me:

- How is Jaime 40?

I'm okay with aging the characters, but would it be too much to ask to do that consistently? Jaime spent one year as a captive, which means that he should have been 38 during season 1. Daenerys was aged to 16 during season 1, which puts Robert's Rebellion approx. 16 years before S01E01 Winter is coming. 38-16=22. However, Tyrion states in season 3, that Cersei had become Queen at the age of 19. And by all logic, Cersei and Jaime should be the same age. And Cersei did marry Robert right after the rebellion, otherwise Joffrey couldn't be referred to as being 17 during season 3. I know, I know, I'm lame.

- Podric looks like Gendry

Not lame things that bother me:

- I don't think Oberyn would pay for sex. I don't think Oberyn needs to pay for sex.

- Daario Naharis is still not hot or witty or hot headed or memorable or anything he's supposed to be. Nothing to distinguish him from a random soldier in a random tavern. Not a costume, not any make-up, not a hairstyle, not memorable lines.

- A 5-minute scene in the tavern so Arya can kill Polliver? A 3-minute dialogue between Polliver and the Hound, just so Polliver can die in 5 minutes? Completely useless and unnecessary and waste of time. The fight scene was way too long too.

-Brienne. Another waste of screen time. WTF was that scene with the Tyrells? Fine, Margaery got another chance to be cute and we saw Joff's glorious statue. That was the only point in the whole scene.

- I don't think Oberyn would pay for sex. I don't think Oberyn needs to pay for sex.

Yeah, also his "everyone who works for Littlefinger is for sale" line. Does he even know Littlefinger?

^ Not that I'm defending the scene in any way (I hated it) but even in the book Oberyn tells Tyrion that he must still pay for whores, despite being a prince. Not that this really explains it, but it wasn't really a logic flaw completely of the show.

Yeah, also his "everyone who works for Littlefinger is for sale" line. Does he even know Littlefinger?

Yeah, especially that Littlefinger was packing to leave last episode and didn't give a shit about his whores anymore. Plus, he didn't even show up this episode. For which I was grateful, to be honest, but it made that line rather out of place.

^ Not that I'm defending the scene in any way (I hated it) but even in the book Oberyn tells Tyrion that he must still pay for whores, despite being a prince. Not that this really explains it, but it wasn't really a logic flaw completely of the show.

Wow. I never remembered that. Thanks for the reminder!

I really liked Oberyn, Pedro Pascal was amazing, but that scene with the whore was soooo weird....

Auch, sorry for the double post. Sincere apologies.

- A 5-minute scene in the tavern so Arya can kill Polliver? A 3-minute dialogue between Polliver and the Hound, just so Polliver can die in 5 minutes? Completely useless and unnecessary and waste of time. The fight scene was way too long too.

Fight scene was too short!

Not as well elaborated as the book, should have added about 2 or 3 more minutes.

-Brienne. Another waste of screen time. WTF was that scene with the Tyrells? Fine, Margaery got another chance to be cute and we saw Joff's glorious statue. That was the only point in the whole scene.

1- I have a feeling they were trying to do a clever pre-fight banter scene, but I think it fell completely flat. It looked like they were trying way too hard to reference the Inglorious Basterds bar brawl and failed.

-Brienne herself wasn't a waste of time but why have her have this conversation with Margaery and not Loras? Perhaps we'll have a Brienne/Loras scene next week or the one after that .. but there was potential for a very emotional scene in an otherwise flat and exposition-heavy episode.

Archived