[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

Its a wierd moment, cos after Arya kills the first guy she puts the sword in her Left hand but in the next shot its in her right. Its wierd cos Im pretty sure maisie trained to use her left hand to stay true to arya so maybe this was just a coreorgaphy change?

I think it was like swinging a baseball bat with two hands when she struck Polliver across the back so the sword would end up in her off hand. She grabs needle with her right hand and then puts it in her left hand... I think we pay way too much attention to if she's using her left hand or right but most of the time it's not her fault.

Since season one many times Maisie says she's prepared to use her left hand to do a scene but the cameras have already been set up for her to use her right hand, so she makes a comment about it and then the DP or whoever says "meh"

Right, and its easier to understand a language than to speak it fluently, so Grey Worm might be able to follow conversations in the common tongue, but just not feel comfortable speaking it.

He's at least twice demonstrated that he can understand common tongue and I don't think it's a mistake that he can.

If he's elected leader over all other unsullied captains then he's got to be pretty smart, good fighter and all around good leader right?

If he's elected leader over all other unsullied captains then he's got to be pretty smart, good fighter and all around good leader right?

One thing that always bothered me about Grey Worm and the Unsullied in the books. Was who were Grey Worm's sub-commanders?

I mean GRRM did not even have to name them.

He sort of had the position of being a general even if he took orders from Dany and her/or her 'captains'.

Supposedly the Unsullied were highly organized into fighting units. As an army they were considered so fearsome that Astapor remained un-assualted (even knowing the Astapori also payed off some marauders).

As for military effectiveness we have the Battle of Qohor.

Got the impression in the books that Dany's Sell-Swords provided the officers tho that is kind of vague.

The Unsullied apparently knew military tactics very well.

I just can't see Grey Worm saying "Everybody hear me there in the back!"

I know the show does not have time to elaborate one second on Unsullied captains, tho seems George could have in the books and I don't remember it ever happening.

Seems Grey Worm could be talking at once to a group of Unsullied 'captains' (non-speaking extras) as to what the military strategy is.

Hero is named as being a captain of the Unsullied, and acts as Grey Worm's second-in-command. I would guess there are many other such sub-officers.

Had forgotten that ... some many characters to keep up with it's not surprising that George does not have names for them.

As for the show it would be impossible!

Since the 'Why didn't Sam tell Jon about Bran' thread got locked...I just wanted to note that on the Red Carpet (the NY one?)

Access Hollywood interviewer asked Aidan Gillen why LF didn't recognize Arya in Tywin's quarters at Harrenhal.

Aidan looked a little stunned... I don't know if he was being evasive and that's part of the plot , maybe this season.

He even kind of repeated the question as if it was a puzzle.

Amusing.

Added:

In season 3 LF does tell Sansa he saw her sister, but right after he said he had seen her mother.

So the implication would be that Arya was with her mother.

Interestingly Sansa never mentions this to anyone at all rest of season 3.

So we shall see how this plays out in season 4.

The dialogue has got to improve. They need to go back to the source material and study Martin's subtlety. They're detracting from what could be some incredible scenes.

Agreed, and what moves this on from minor nitpick to major for me is that we're in season 4, and most of the incredible scenes from the book have already happened.

I thought Kit was surprisingly good this episode. I really bought his conversation with Sam about Robb's death, and the anger and frustration he displayed at his "trial" felt natural enough too.

Emilia was predictably cringey though, yeah.

I'm okay with her, but this Kit fellow is one of my biggest complaints in the series. I've never been a huge Jon fan because he's always been too moody and whiny, but the "trial" scene just nails how bad this actor is. He is petulant and pouting and annoying. No matter how much relevant information he had I'd have his head off just to keep him quiet. I'm actually siding with Thorne and that other guy (Slynt? I can't remember) which is a travesty! Why is Aemon calling the shots? IT ALL MAKES NO SENSE.

He's at least twice demonstrated that he can understand common tongue and I don't think it's a mistake that he can.

I agree, and the unsullied are taken from many regions, and have differing backgrounds, so its not surprising that at least some of them could understand the common tongue.

I'm okay with her, but this Kit fellow is one of my biggest complaints in the series. I've never been a huge Jon fan because he's always been too moody and whiny, but the "trial" scene just nails how bad this actor is. He is petulant and pouting and annoying. No matter how much relevant information he had I'd have his head off just to keep him quiet. I'm actually siding with Thorne and that other guy (Slynt? I can't remember) which is a travesty! Why is Aemon calling the shots? IT ALL MAKES NO SENSE.

Things have now gotten rearranged from the books for the Wall.

Did we ever have Donal Noye?

Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt don't arrive until after the attack from the south.

Noye had supported Jon in the defense from that attack.

By the by Aemon had the longest time experience and seniority at the Wall , in the book was the one who got Jon let off.

I could never figure why Slynt was given any authority at all, head of the Gold Cloak or not, he had not gained any experience or status at the wall. That didn't compute with me in the book either.

Also ,so far, they have not played up Jon's popularity among the ranks in the BW at Castle Black, as in the book.

Noticeable that Thorne did not contradict Jon about giants when Slynt was incredulous.

It is surprising that both in the book and on the show , with a former strong commander, that he would have not weeded out the totally unreliable malcontents... some of whom had criminal records...

GRRM constructed a very scrambled and inconsistent picture of the Night's Watch even if the South was not paying attention and letting things go to hell.

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere, but why did Thorne say to Snow "Don't talk about the Halfhand as if you knew him. He was my brother."? It seemed like a pointless and nonsensical line in an otherwise solid scene.

Was he saying that Jon and Qhorin weren't brothers? If his point was simply "I knew him longer and better than you did," it was a really stupid response to Jon informing them of the orders he got north of the Wall.

I honestly don't care, but it is strange how their hair color gets progressively darker from season to season.

I thought that was kind of an of the wall comment Jamie made to Brienne about her hair and being a Lannister!

Show poking fun at itself?

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only person who is bothered by Jaime and Tyrion losing some Lannister Blondness of their hair?

Yep, it's not like it would be a big sacrifice for short haired actors to at least highlight their hair... sure they are main characters, but it still would be a little visual extra.

Yet again, there are worst things to nitpick...

Archived