[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

Daario is an enormous [insert word referring to one's bottom] in the books and Danny being attracted to him is her being attracted to a bad boy.

New Daario is like being attracted to Aragorn.

I.e. perfectly reasonable.

It loses something if it's an actual romance versus Danny just wanting to bang the hot guy.

Exactly.

It's doubly funny because the guy playing Araario is from Nashville and played a "attractive guy who is kind of skeevy" there.

On the Shae and Tyrion fronts, I'm hoping everything is a slow burn to Tyrion going absolutely nuts at the end. Basically, he's already half-there but needs the final betrayal by his family to make him go postal with a crossbow. Otherwise, it might just be bad writing.

It's doubly funny because the guy playing Araario is from Nashville and played a "attractive guy who is kind of skeevy" there.

On the Shae and Tyrion fronts, I'm hoping everything is a slow burn to Tyrion going absolutely nuts at the end. Basically, he's already half-there but needs the final betrayal by his family to make him go postal with a crossbow. Otherwise, it might just be bad writing.

Re: Nashville, 100% agree - that's how I knew he would be good in this role. Haha.

I had a problem with Oberyn's propositioning of Littlefinger's pimp being all sorts of coercive.

But, well, that's Westeros.

Other nitpicks on my end

* I think we didn't get a good explanation for why Tyrion is celibate so I had to guess.

* Tywin seemed to take Jamie's ignoring his command too well when he should have been furious.

* I think Brienne and Jamie's story loses something if they just sort of accept Arya and Sansa being written off.

* Cersei's reaction to Jamie is just...crazy. The old Cersei would have been passionately into him.

Well Cersei is crazy, but she wasn't because he was gone, it was because he came back a different man. He's no longer the male version of herself that she can control and manipulate.

The scene with Jaime and Tywin was kind of a dud. It was a lot angrier and heavy in the books. Here it just seemed like another father/son squabble.

NO STANNIS???

just kidding, but I didn't like the Oberyn introduction. Is Oberyn really gonna freak out every time he hears the rains of castamere? And what a pathetic Dornish party was that, every Lord just send his sigil-bearer to the wedding?

Re Cersei: Tbf in the books we see her being crazy AFTER she lost a son, before she wasn't a pov so we don't know. Some of the things she did to Tyrion or to her friend, did prove she was never particularly sane to begin with, but it's easy to assume Joff's death is the final nail in the coffin.

Kit's acting has gotten so much better but Emilia's seems to have gotten worse. She just looks really dull and delivers the lines with a tired frustrated tone. 4 seasons in, you think she would invest in some lessons. She treats it like she is on a stage.

That being said, Cersei's spy was just terrible.

What was that about anyway?

The whole Jaime and Brienne already being in KL before the wedding is just blowing my mind a bit. I suppose reserve judgement and see how they will handle it in episode 2.

One thing that stuck out to me was the interaction between Jaime and Tywin. In the book that was so much more heated and you really felt the underlying issues between the two over Jaime's joining the Kingsguard and giving up the Rock. But in the tv show it was very bland and neither character seemed very bothered by it.

Daario is an enormous [insert word referring to one's bottom] in the books and Danny being attracted to him is her being attracted to a bad boy.

New Daario is like being attracted to Aragorn.

I.e. perfectly reasonable.

It loses something if it's an actual romance versus Danny just wanting to bang the hot guy.

Im sorry but I must disagree, he LOOKS like Aragorn, but he lacks the charisma or charm.

Im sorry but I must disagree, he LOOKS like Aragorn, but he lacks the charisma or charm.

You can tell in five minutes of expositional dialogue that he lacks this charisma or charm? Honestly. As much as I love Viggo as Aragorn, he definitely didn't grab me in his first five minutes of dialogue.

Plus having watching many hours of Michiel, he has both charisma and charm in droves.

This thread may be called "Nitpick without Repercussion", but I expected it to be reasonable.

I hate recastings. But if you do them, at least try to be consistent with the looks. They should have kept Daario's dreadlocks. (at least for the premiere. If you want to change his looks, then have him cut his hair in order to be more apealing to Dany).

And I also don't like the apparent softer, more romantic approach they seem to be taking with.

When Arya stabs Poliver in ASOS, she is screaming and in a mad frenzy. I would have preferred that. In the books, Arya starts killing through Jaqen, then nerviously and out of necessity, then in rage, and only at the end in cold blood. I think the series could have done a better job in showing the transition, since she seems to have been a calculating murderer from the begining.

As Ran says in his review, we should have seen women riding with the Dornishmen. Lord Blackmont should have been a lady.

ETA: Shae's inconsistently portrayed. When the plot requires it, she's clever and perceptive. Other times, she screams screams in the palace revealing secrets that could cost her life.

Archived