[BOOK SPOILERS] The Brawl at the Tavern

Darkbringer

One reason I think they may still do something similar is that scene in one of the previews with the gift of mercy. Arya is talking to the dying man while the Hound is getting him water. Why introduce that and not follow through, is at least what I'm thinking. Again, who knows...

I'm thinking they just need some more padding on her story line so that she doesn't get to Braavos too soon. AFFC/ADWD has barely enough for her to cover one season, but her plot's kind of thin here at this point. If the padding they choose is The Hound and The She Wolf kicking ass and taking names, I'm down with it.

They should have just kept it as the Tickler imo. That fight scene and crazed stabbing and yelling about gold is one of my favorite parts in the series. There was a lot of questions back in the day - "but who will remember the Tickler by that time?" Well, who the hell remembers Polliver? Arya had to remind the audience who Polliver was. I was very disappointed.

They should have just kept it as the Tickler imo. That fight scene and crazed stabbing and yelling about gold is one of my favorite parts in the series. There was a lot of questions back in the day - "but who will remember the Tickler by that time?" Well, who the hell remembers Polliver? Arya had to remind the audience who Polliver was. I was very disappointed.

The Tickler was killed already by Show!Jaqen

The crazed stabbing took place in the finale of S3 with the Frey guard. Would be kind of silly to have her do it again.

People overvalue the Tickler kill in the books. The Polliver kill is so much more satisfying because she had more interaction with him and he killed Lommy. I never gave a shit about what happened to the Tickler in the books because he never even interacted directly with Arya. Polliver is a guy who the audience really wants to see get his comeuppance. It's a hugely cathartic scene.

I'm happy to categorize this quibble as a "it didn't happen the way I remember it in the book so it's bad" complaint and not on anything legitimate.

I agree with all the people sayin' it took too long for Arya to act. I expeced her to go berzerk at any moment, t'was on the edge of my seat - and then she waited... Waited... Waited. Sweet brawl nonetheless, but I think she should've jumped in sooner.

In the book she does hang back for a bit, but gets into the fray faster , in think, in the book Sandor has only Polliver and the Tickler , while Arya disables the Squire.

As I remember the Hound has more trouble with Polliver as a swordsman than on the show.

Tho he kills him.

It wouldn't need repetition, just a sinister edge to it - let's say that (in his last moments) he realizes to his horror that this is Lord Tywin's (escaped from Harrenhal) cupbearer who's got him dead to rights.

At the end he did realize it was Arya who killed him, reclaiming Needle. :cool4:

Since they [felt they] had to show Lommy's death from Season 2 in the recap, I'd argue that it was *just* as memorable (i.e., not at all) as the lines used in the show...they could just easily have used the lines from Season 2 and shown those scenes in the recap.

Yes, they could have done that, sure.

Then we would have had to have had this exchange:

Arya: They were trying to get the villagers to tell them where the gold was.

Hound: What the fuck would they want gold from the villagers for?

Making Lommy's murder have a bigger impact on Arya's psyche makes more sense in the show.

I especially liked that they made Arya hold back and not face any of the soldiers in a real figh. At this point in time any soldier should be able to easily kill Arya in a face to face sword fight and I like that they didn't turn Arya into some fake child ninja.

While I found the scene to be outstanding and great fun, I find myself missing Arya going berserk and having to be pulled off. This seemed more calculating without the bloodlust that comes over her in the book. Still loads of fun though.

The books and the show are like the same horse with a different jockey. I think book Arya going berserk fitted well for her character, but show Arya is a little older and more collected, I thought the calm, calculated way she delivered her lines, and the sword to the neck was perfect for her, and reminded me of her water dancing training.

The crazed stabbing took place in the finale of S3 with the Frey guard. Would be kind of silly to have her do it again.

People overvalue the Tickler kill in the books. The Polliver kill is so much more satisfying because she had more interaction with him and he killed Lommy. I never gave a shit about what happened to the Tickler in the books because he never even interacted directly with Arya. Polliver is a guy who the audience really wants to see get his comeuppance. It's a hugely cathartic scene.

I'm happy to categorize this quibble as a "it didn't happen the way I remember it in the book so it's bad" complaint and not on anything legitimate.

I actually think it's more of a difference of opinions, but whatever.

In the book she does hang back for a bit, but gets into the fray faster , in think, in the book Sandor has only Polliver and the Tickler , while Arya disables the Squire.As I remember the Hound has more trouble with Polliver as a swordsman than on the show.Tho he kills him.

It's because he's drunk, he just heard Sansa got married, and reacted pretty strongly to the news. He had to sit down, stared at the fire, said good for the little bird she got away, hoped Cersei would torture Tyrion in rather graphic terms, all the while downing wine. Arya noticed it, he wasn't his usual self.

In this fight, he was. Here, it's when Polliver talks about raping Arya that he decides to kill them all, that's following up on that line last season about how he saved Sansa from rapists and would protect her, too. Here, he saves both Arya and the innkeeper's daughter. He was the only thing stopping them at this point.

I have a hunch that's also what he meant by the code. Arya asks, did you steal something from Joffrey? Arya was talking about stealing money, the Hound was talking about something else (Sansa). Ultimately, he's saying he's not his brother. I think they may follow up on that, too.

I have a hunch that's also what he meant by the code. Arya asks, did you steal something from Joffrey? Arya was talking about stealing money, the Hound was talking about something else (Sansa). Ultimately, he's saying he's not his brother. I think they'll follow up on that, too.

Ah, I didn't even think about that. Do you think the show-runners still want that to be a thing, given how old Rory McCann is, or do you think that was more of a wink to book readers?

Archived