[BOOK SPOILERS] The Brawl at the Tavern

Darkbringer

Ah, I didn't even think about that. Do you think the show-runners still want that to be a thing, given how old Rory McCann is, or do you think that was more of a wink to book readers?

I have no idea, I want to see their book story on the show, it's a favorite.

The point I was making was that he's not his brother. I do think they may get into that. But I think they should also show his regret that he couldn't stop them from beating Sansa. I think it's important for someone to remember they did that to her. And that he can't forget and wishes he had done more is pretty big.

They did show him helping her recover from or avoiding the beatings, in season 1 and season 2, the heads scene, the name day scene, the throne room scene, also giving her advice, and finally he could strike back to protect her in the mob scene, and he did. And that's also what he's saying in the Blackwater scene, I could keep you safe. In the books he says, no one would hurt you again.

Then he keeps bringing it up to Arya, at the Beric fight, another time (they did include that on the show last season), and then he sobs about it in the end. So this would follow up on that, and it's also tied to him being more of a true knight than he knows. That's what he wanted to be before Gregor burned him.

I think Arya should be about 13 now. It's been about 2 years.

Season 1 - October - Dany 1, December - Sansa birthday (13 on show), March - Bran 1, April - Arya birthday (11 on show)

Season 3 - November - Sansa wedding, December - Sansa birthday (15 on show)

Season 4 - January - Purple wedding, April - Arya birthday (13 on show)

Sophie Turner is 18 and Maisie Williams is almost 17.

While I found the scene to be outstanding and great fun, I find myself missing Arya going berserk and having to be pulled off. This seemed more calculating without the bloodlust that comes over her in the book. Still loads of fun though.

This.

Overall I loved the scene. The Hound had great lines and his acting through it was great. Arya I thought went a little too far into the dark in one move, but it doesn't break anything.

I think Arya should be about 13 now. It's been about 2 years.

Season 1 - October - Dany 1, December - Sansa birthday (13 on show), March - Bran 1, April - Arya birthday (11 on show)

Season 3 - November - Sansa wedding, December - Sansa birthday (15 on show)

Season 4 - January - Purple wedding, April - Arya birthday (13 on show)

Sophie Turner is 18 and Maisie Williams is almost 17.

As I have said before I think they should drop all mention of ages , because one could fit the book narrative , well the later books, to young adults without changing the story drama one bit.

Just go with the real ages of the real actors.

Works for me.

I'd like to take a moment to praise the editing, specifically for the eye-gouging part. It took me a second viewing to realize how they actually did that. There's actually two shots, separated by an almost invisible match cut, which I believe is where they switch between the real actor being jammed into a CGI dagger and a dummy being jammed against a real one.

I haven't seen any non book readers think about how an 11? year old girl has murdered 3 people .

Quite the contrary - most Unsullied discussions I've browsed have been mixed between excitement over Arya fighting back, and apprehension and sadness at what she's spiraling into.

This.

Overall I loved the scene. The Hound had great lines and his acting through it was great. Arya I thought went a little too far into the dark in one move, but it doesn't break anything.

Arya stabbing the guy who was bragging about putting Grey Winds head on Robb's body was more like the book version of the Tavern Scene. She stabs the crap out of that dude.

Can we call Arya Stark one of the good guys (if there is such a thing) now?

She isn't killing people to make the world a better place, she seems to killing for her gratification now.

ASoIaF has never been about the good guys vs the bad guys.

I thought the dialogue was weird and kinda lame. I know its not a popular opinion. I enjoyed the scene during the show, loved the whole episode, but I didn't get the chicken joke. I also guess I was expecting a more heated confrontation like in the novels.

Critiquing the fighting-

-Throwing the table was awesome, nicely done.

-I was confused as to why Arya waited so long to get into the fight. She loves fighting.

-I know its a realism vs. show thing, but so many sword blocks. Swords were not used for so much blocking in combat.

-Too many times swords meet, deflect, and the Hound punches the guy in the face. Often the beats between shots was too long. That's an actor/stunt guy thing, safety thing, but it takes me out.

-Arya can't just push a sword into a body like that. It looked silly. Even my mom who is a medical tech said something about it.

-Arya water dancing looked cool, but again she just stabbed through armor like it was nothing. Another thing show watchers don't really care about, but it took me out.

-The camera work was confusing and I didn't know what was going on most of the time.

Still, had fun with it. The Hound was scary as hell in some shots and Arya got Needle back.

BTW, did you gais KNOW?? That scene wiv Polliver wasn't in the booooks. It was from a TWOW chapter that JUST got released and I need to make sure you gais know I knew about it even though its already been mentioned in every thread on the website cuz I am smurt too and it was Raff the Sweetling so its totally gonna ruin everything guys OMG!!!

So we can assume Sandor will not be headed to the Quiet Ilse?

He may yet be wounded, we'll just have to wait and see.

It looked like at one point during the fight the Hound got sliced pretty good on the back/side. Maybe they'll have it get worse over time.

It looked like at one point during the fight the Hound got sliced pretty good on the back/side. Maybe they'll have it get worse over time.

He seemed to enjoyed himself at the end, smiling on his horse. He doesn't seem to have suffered a life-threatening wound unless I am mistaken. It looks like the directors of the show have other plans for him and that his faith will differ from that of the book.

I am torn somehow, as much as I want them to follow as much as possible the book line, I came to appreciate The Hound as a character both in the book and the show. Can't help wondering what will happen to him next, should his life be prolonged in season 4 of GoT.

I'll wait and see...

Did anyone notice how when Arya slashed Polliver across the back, he fell face forward onto the ground and yet 2 seconds later when she starts her 'Needle' speech, Polliver is laying in the reverse position on his back, facing Arya?

The camera never left Arya's eyes and they never flinched, or moved from supposedly staring down into Polliver's face. If in those 2 seconds, the injured and stunned Polliver had managed to scramble over from face down to laying on his back, her eyes would have moved and followed his action.

Did anyone notice how when Arya slashed Polliver across the back, he fell face forward onto the ground and yet 2 seconds later when she starts her 'Needle' speech, Polliver is laying in the reverse position on his back, facing Arya?

The camera never left Arya's eyes and they never flinched, or moved from supposedly staring down into Polliver's face. If in those 2 seconds, the injured and stunned Polliver had managed to scramble over from face down to laying on his back, her eyes would have moved and followed his action.

It's possible while on your knees to fall forward and turn your shoulder to end up on your back. You are right through, Polliver appeared to fall straight down on his face in the scene. Oh well.

ps off topic: Does anybody know where I can find the track from the end of the episode? Any word on the official soundtrack for the season?

My impression was that when the camera cut away to Arya Polliver rolled onto his back and we did not see it.

There is an awful lot of very tight cutting in GOT.

Seems one of the directors , just a few days ago, said he was relieved how a certain scene, we don't know which one, was edited and re-edited several times to make it less gruesome.

This is the impression I got about Arya's slow stab of the guy she knocked with the pot, there may have been several takes of this shot, Maisie said there it took three days to shoot that sequence, and they may have taken a more 'viewer friendly' of Arya's stabbing of the guy in the gut, why I don't know.

Actually her killing of Polliver could have been more brutal, but it was quite effective as it was.

By the by seemed to me Arya slashed the back of Polliver's calves and not his back.

Rory seems to be the only one to note that Arya's action saved the Hound's life.

(As was true in the book.)

I haven't seen any non book readers think about how an 11? year old girl has murdered 3 people .

The non book readers I know who watch the show think Maisie Williams looks a lot older than 11, she was actually 16 when season 4 was being shot and will be 17 this year when season 5 is shot.

(18 when season 6 is shot.)

My impression was that when the camera cut away to Arya Polliver rolled onto his back and we did not see it.

There is an awful lot of very tight cutting in GOT.

Seems one of the directors , just a few days ago, said he was relieved how a certain scene, we don't know which one, was edited and re-edited several times to make it less gruesome.

This is the impression I got about Arya's slow stab of the guy she knocked with the pot, there may have been several takes of this shot, Maisie said there it took three days to shoot that sequence, and they may have taken a more 'viewer friendly' of Arya's stabbing of the guy in the gut, why I don't know.

Actually her killing of Polliver could have been more brutal, but it was quite effective as it was.

By the by seemed to me Arya slashed the back of Polliver's calves and not his back.

Rory seems to be the only one to note that Arya's action saved the Hound's life.

(As was true in the book.)

When I watched this scene the first few times, I thought Arya slashed Polliver across the back of his legs too, but then after about the tenth watch :rolleyes: :D I thought it may have been a little higher. Doesn't matter anyway, it's not important.

Neither is the position Polliver fell onto the floor, or ended up in. It was just something I noticed that didn't quite look right. You're obviously right about the editing and it's only us pathetic GOT geeks, who study the tv show with such intensity and then subsequently pick unimportant little flaws.

edit. Just watched over and over again on youtube and my original impression and yours is correct. Arya slashed him down low on his legs.

Archived