[Book Spoilers] Oberyn introduction

Inquisitor Glokta

I suppose after the Red Wedding the Rains of Castamere can be heard over KL all 24/7.

Great intro, great character. I'm quite sold on Oberyn. Ellaria is quite beautiful and I do kinda like they're shown the basics of their relationship, loving, not married, treated each other as equals. I just hope they mention their kids, that would be sweet.

I can understand why people are put off by the brothel scene, I am a bit as well, because half the sex scenes on this show only exist to titillate the audience.

Screw character development, let's have some whores playing with their butts!- That was most of Season 3's sex scenes for me.

I was a little disappointed in that they placed Oberyn's intro in a brothel as opposed to riding up with the rest of the Dornish lords. I agree it's more important to show him as a fierce opponent as opposed to playing up his sexual appetites.

I was hoping for more of a showing where the Dornish were concerned, but I can live with the intro. I loved the back and forth between Tyrion and the main Dornish lord, plus he was the perfect Dornishman.

I hope that they don't get carried away and focus on the Dornish and their sexual openness. Yes its a part of the culture, but they are much more......

I loved Pedro Pascal's performance.

On the other hand, the brothel scene was lacking subtility in my opinion. I don't think the book Oberyn would stab a Lannister for almost no reason.

Also, I pictured the Rep Viper as an older man than Pedro Pascal.

I knew it. Pedro Pascal simply is the right choice. Wonderful characterisation! Hot, cool, badass, smart... just the way I like my Red Viper served. B)

I too would've liked a more subtle introduction, however... Now it kind of seems like they made him dive head first into the whole story. 'Aaaand here's Oberyn Martell who you've all been waiting for a long time, look how cool he is, you gotta like him! YEAH! LIKE HIM! SO COOL!' Well it really was cool and they didn't make him behave off character, quite the opposite, so I don't mind.

Now I really got to rewatch his scenes...

Also anybody else suddenly very eager to hear Pedro Pascal in the DVD commentary? :)

I don't think the book Oberyn would stab a Lannister for almost no reason.

Turn it around and look at it again. Oberyn is the brother of the High Lord.

What would happen if someone called Kevan Lannister a 'goat fucker' to his face with witnesses? Or Stannis Baratheon as younger brother of Robert? There would be retribution.

I suppose after the Red Wedding the Rains of Castamere can be heard over KL all 24/7.

Great intro, great character. I'm quite sold on Oberyn. Ellaria is quite beautiful and I do kinda like they're shown the basics of their relationship, loving, not married, treated each other as equals. I just hope they mention their kids, that would be sweet.

I can understand why people are put off by the brothel scene, I am a bit as well, because half the sex scenes on this show only exist to titillate the audience.

Screw character development, let's have some whores playing with their butts!- That was most of Season 3's sex scenes for me.

Titillate? I would swear they are trying to disgust us? Is the guy who did the Girls Gone Wild series bankrolling the show? I still think its a good show but they make some bizarro decisions about some things and I'm not sure why.

On the other hand, the brothel scene was lacking subtility in my opinion. I don't think the book Oberyn would stab a Lannister for almost no reason.

They (also) insulted Ellaria by thinking she is a whore, iirc. Pointing at her, one of them said: "Why are you wasting a woman like this on a Dornishman?" to Loras' compadre.

Turn it around and look at it again. Oberyn is the brother of the High Lord.

What would happen if someone called Kevan Lannister a 'goat fucker' to his face with witnesses? Or Stannis Baratheon as younger brother of Robert? There would be retribution.

Prince Oberyn Martell is a prince, not merely a knight like Ser Kevan nor a lord like Lord Stannis. Oberyn is a royal by birth. The other two are not. Well, were not.

Kevan is a landed knight, and yes, Stannis styles himself King now, and he was previously the Lord of Dragonstone, which made him the designated heir presumptive until his king had legal issue.

But unless memory deceives me, Stannis was never even then styled the Prince of Dragonstone as had been Prince Rhaegar and so many before him. Why not, I don’t really know.

Why upon entering the room with the two Lannister soldiers and their brace of conies did Oberyn casually run his right hand through the rather large candle flame?

1. He was showing (off) that he could endure pain unflinchingly.
  2. He was demonstrating that the Dornish are accustomed to great heat.
  3. He was proving that the Blood of the Dragon runs strongly in him, conferring greater resistance to heat than which in other mortals obtains.
  4. He wanted the flame to kindle his own long-smoldering rage at House Lannister.
  5. He wanted to dry off his sweaty palm so he could draw quickly at need, where said sweat came of manhandling Olyvar, namesake of the Prince’s own dead brother.
  6. Pick more than one of the above. :)

Regarding any prospects of a hot pillow-biting scene between Oberyn and Loras, there was an interview with Finn Jones in which when asked if he’d get any more hot sex scenes this season, he lamented that there was not, but that there was a bit of risqué flirtation along those lines.

And truly, what better place to insert Loras’s forlorn lament than at said flirtation? I’m speaking of the line that in the books Loras delivered to Tyrion, but which could here be used to rebuff the (already buff enough) Prince:

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Why didn't Tyrion and Bronn approach the Dornish party on horseback? It would have taken Tyrion far longer to get through King's Landing and beyond on foot, or even carried in a litter (while Bronn and guards walked) and it looked funny.

Did they show Tyrion walking all the way back? I assumed they dismounted @ the meeting point. Obviously they knew the Dornish party wouldn't be walking, and could hardly accompany them to the city if they were not also mounted.

Archived