Meera Reed's Story

paulh_85

When Bran asks her for a story (about half-way through part 1 of ASOS, on route to the wall) Meera tell him of a man who went to the Isle of Faces, then ended up at a tourney in Harrenhal, Jojen seems surprised that Bran has never heard this story before, and i assume the man she is refering to is Howland Reed, with his friendship with Ned forged at Harrenhal.

Just wondering, what significance, if any this story has, i gather from the previous mentions of Howland, that he was a very close friend to ned stark, and the two had a close bond. But the references to the the greenseers and the isle of faces is new, and if the story she is telling is indeed about her father, then its obviously quite recent.

Would be interested to hear if anyone had any thoughts on this.

I'm not sure how much could be said without risking your reading experience, but the way I see it, Meera's story has a twofold purpose:

1) Giving us some background info on the older generation (especially Ned and his siblings) without making it sound too exposition-y

2) Offering a different take on the events that led to Robert's Rebellion (which includes some extra foreshadowing for certain fandom theories).

Of course, there's also the worldbuiliding purpose: a lot of name (and sigil) dropping, showing that the whole greenseer thing didn't come out of nowhere. Proving that Westeros is not all civil wars and winter: there has been 'a golden age' not so far in the past. Confirming and expanding some things Ned recalled in first book and other characters will recall in the future...

ok thanks, up to where i am in the books (just started part 2) and its surprisng to read something which sounds like it could be significant, just dropped into the story quite casually. I imagine that the isle of faces could become an important back drop into the future books, particularly through Bran. And im hoping Howland Reed gets brought into the story at some point too.

ok thanks, up to where i am in the books (just started part 2) and its surprisng to read something which sounds like it could be significant, just dropped into the story quite casually. I imagine that the isle of faces could become an important back drop into the future books, particularly through Bran. And im hoping Howland Reed gets brought into the story at some point too.

The stories that are told in the books almost always play a large role later on.I recommend you re-read the books to see the things you miss the first time through (I missed/didn't remember so many important things so I ended up reading them each 2-3 times)

The stories that are told in the books almost always play a large role later on.I recommend you re-read the books to see the things you miss the first time through (I missed/didn't remember so many important things so I ended up reading them each 2-3 times)

ive re read the first 2, i still dont pick up on the signs of r+l=j though, i dont dispute it, but i dont see it as obvious through the books.

One chapter ive re read about 4 times is Danys in the house of the undying, there is a lot in there, a lot of nods to future books i imagine that i havent deciphered yet

ive re read the first 2, i still dont pick up on the signs of r+l=j though, i dont dispute it, but i dont see it as obvious through the books.

One chapter ive re read about 4 times is Danys in the house of the undying, there is a lot in there, a lot of nods to future books i imagine that i havent deciphered yet

Well the main hint is in the first book when Ned has his fever dream

There are also a lot of subtle hints.

:agree: The house of the Undying is an important one of course, and you might want to mark Arya's meeting with Ghost of High Hearth for future references. Some of Bran's dreams in book one might be worth rereading as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Tywin is trying to secure more of the West and Highgarden is definitely needed in this time of post war, chaos, hunger and discord. Also since the crown is in debt to the Lannisters by about six million dragons with no chance of them paying it off anytime in the near future (there are other even more steep debts the crown owes out to many) he is definitely securing what is necessary to his family which, in my mind, he is hoping to expand from the west to kings landing. Dorne would be next to secure th south and then choke out the middle.

Archived