Vikings 3: Eye-Stabbing as a means of social mobility

Talleyrand

Flokki does seem genuinely disillusioned with Ragnar, and the talk of Alaugs birthing a monsters makes me speculate she won't be around for much longer.

I don't think Aslaug is gone yet. It's probably a reference to her birthing Ivar the Boneless.

I thought it was clear that Bjorn brought Borg food that drugged him for the blood eagle ritual, similar to how Athelstan was drugged for sacrifice when they went to Uppsala. It was how Borg was able to not even need to be tied down or not to scream, so he can accept his fate as a warrior and enter Valhalla. But maybe I had the wrong impression.

I thought that as well. Although on the other hand where would Bjorn get the drugs from?

I'm sure Borg's people will be angry. However, whatever they want to do about it, they'll know they'll also have do deal with Horick if they aren't careful about it. Ragnar didn't execute Borg without Horick's consent. I think Horick wanted to see what Borg would say when he paid him that visit (earning his trust by bringing him dead wife's skull), and I think Borg's response about killing Ragnar and making Rollo earl decided it. Ragnar is worth more to Horick, currently.

!

I have a different take on this. Horik didn't look happy about the execution, I think he was outraced. He said that they were free to execute Borg when they had a new ally, and then Lagertha showed up and it all happened so fast. I don't think he counted on that.

Well, that was definitely one of the weaker episodes of the entire series, IMO.

I agree and disagree at the same time. The first part of the episode was incredibly weak (Rollo knows about Siggy and Donal Logue? Floki is pissed at Ragnar? Aelle is back?...), but there were two scenes that really stood out and saved this episode (Ragnar rear window style observing all the plots and the bloodeagle scene).

I think the writers just wrote those two scenes first and afterwards took 5 minutes to write a scenario for them to arrive at these two scenes.

Greatest disappointment : Floki's random character change (also they need to be careful and not overuse him. This episode had way to much of him in it)

Greatest achievement: the Blood eagle scene. This was one instant were showing less actually turned out great (suck on that tWD). Power of suggestion and all.

Also loved the unease with the spectators. And I think the reactions of our protagonists where quite telling in showing us who had the true metal in them (Aslaug looked away, Lagertha kept on looking for exammpke ). If the character didn't look away then they are Vikings OG.

Random observation: Aethelstan looks a bit out of place with the pony tail and the outfit. He looks more like someone from the Inquisition than a royal librarian in the Viking Age.

I thought Bjorn had drugged Borg too. He did something. He wasn't comfortable with the idea of the blood eagle, he gives Borg a small amount of bread, and seems much more settled as he watched the blood eagle performed. I'm liking bjorn's character far more than ragnar's but pefhaps that's because he's part Lagertha.

I didn't clue in about Ragnar being the secret boyfriend :dunce: but it makes complete sense.

Ragnar heard Siggy talking to Horik and Rollo knows she is sleeping with him - I can't imagine she's going to be residing in Camp Ragnar too much longer.

I'm interested to see what the little monster will be. The snake in the eye is a bit odd. Still just not an Aslaug fan.

Eta: I didn't understand the shift in Floki either. It didn't flow right and it didn't feel right.

So the blood eagle was an actual event in the sagas; rather than a History Channel invention? Interesting.

Well, it is written of, but there still seems to be some question as to whether they really did that or not. :stillsick:

Nah, pretty sure it was Floki who predicted that.

Thats called advertising.

The spite followed by Bjorn's realization on what the blood eagle even is, drove him to give food to Borg. Its pity. Like "Welp yer going down really bad and damn dude, sucks to be you. Here~" Bjorn asks Ragnar was the blood eagle is and he explains...

Athelstan is not making much headway in his spiritual battle. Hes all "uhh God save England!" *shifty eyes* "yeah umm that...i think...?" and then hes all "ohh scrolls! Scrolls are awesome scrolls rock! OMFG HUGIN!"

Poor guy. Seer pretty much spells it out. Dude's all in knots.

Bolded, I suppose thats what made me think of Athelstans influence on him as a child, (the two cultures influenced each other), because I didn't think pity was a big thing with them.

I'm sure Borg's people will be angry. However, whatever they want to do about it, they'll know they'll also have do deal with Horick if they aren't careful about it. Ragnar didn't execute Borg without Horick's consent. I think Horick wanted to see what Borg would say when he paid him that visit (earning his trust by bringing him dead wife's skull), and I think Borg's response about killing Ragnar and making Rollo earl decided it. Ragnar is worth more to Horick, currently.

A few looked pretty horrified. Of course, the pressure's on everyone attending not to look away (or faint). Just like Athelstan's supposed to emphatically chant 'God save England.'

Floki must be quite torn. . . big sacrifice versus nasty Ragnar who he no longer entirely trusts. . . which to applaud?

That was my take as well. And wouldn't Borgs people have felt that it was Ragnar that first crossed their Jarl? But anyway, it did seem to me that the crowd was not having a good time.

Does Borg even have any people left - he must have lost a fair few in his battles over Kattegat and all those he brought with him were burned alive in the barn on Ragnar's orders

He appears to. They still wanted the use of his warriors and ships and Horik was worried that Borgs execution would drive away any other alliances.

Interesting to see Ragnar with a snake, considering his fate in the legend.

I do like the little symbols/visions that keep appearing, almost making this a fantasy series, like the raven coming to Athelstan. Very ASoIaF-like.

I thought it was clear that Bjorn brought Borg food that drugged him for the blood eagle ritual, similar to how Athelstan was drugged for sacrifice when they went to Uppsala. It was how Borg was able to not even need to be tied down or not to scream, so he can accept his fate as a warrior and enter Valhalla. But maybe I had the wrong impression.

I also suspect the problem Ragnar may be having with Bjorn has more to do with Porunn. I think Ragnar may be the "boyfriend", which he and Porunn keep quite because of Aslaug. I get the sense Porunn could be, or maybe even is, into Bjorn but as a slave she can't do or say anything since the Jarl has claimed her.

The scene where Ragnar was standing back watching everything, so we know he's paying attention, showed Ragnar also 'pay attention' to Bjorn talking with Porunn and Ragnar really focused on Bjorn grabbing Porunn's arm. I don't see why they would show that Ragnar would care about his son trying to fuck a slave girl during that scene of intrigues without something more to it. But again maybe I have the wrong impression.

And... not only loving Jarl Lagertha :commie: but it's great to know we will see her more often again!!!

GREAT Catch on Porrun. I wonder if she was the slave girl that Aslaug was originally complaining about before the birth of snake eye. That would certainly create some interesting dynamics.

I thought Bjorn had drugged Borg too. He did something. He wasn't comfortable with the idea of the blood eagle, he gives Borg a small amount of bread, and seems much more settled as he watched the blood eagle performed. I'm liking bjorn's character far more than ragnar's but pefhaps that's because he's part Lagertha.

I didn't clue in about Ragnar being the secret boyfriend :dunce: but it makes complete sense.

Ragnar heard Siggy talking to Horik and Rollo knows she is sleeping with him - I can't imagine she's going to be residing in Camp Ragnar too much longer.

I'm interested to see what the little monster will be. The snake in the eye is a bit odd. Still just not an Aslaug fan.

Eta: I didn't understand the shift in Floki either. It didn't flow right and it didn't feel right.

Me either :dunce:

I think with Flokki, he symbolizes some of the feelings that people are starting to have about Ragnar and the corruption that power brings

Ragnar isn't the same person. The old Ragnar would have taken great pride and joy in Bjorn, not be jealous of him. The old Ragnar might have been a more faithful man, (I think Aslaug was a matter of prophesy), or as faithful as such men got in those days because we get no indication that he did those things to Lagartha until Aslaug.

Lagertha was pissed because she apparently didn't expect that from him. And if Ragnar is Porruns "boyfriend," (did they really use that word), then he apparently feels he need to keep it from Aslaug and it's not like she is of higher status to where Aslaug would feel insulted.

It also explains Ragnars turn of mood when Bjorn confesses he was with her.

I do think the "bromance" between Ragnar and Athelstan is funny though. In all that mess, Ragnar is asking the seer to vision-stalk him. :lol:

I don't think Aslaug is gone yet. It's probably a reference to her birthing Ivar the Boneless.

It might be a combination of her character and another woman, because I think Ragnar had a third wife who died in childbirth

I actually think that Ragnar is having Floki feed his wife information because she talks to Siggy who will spill the beans to King Horik. I think Rollo will be the one who ends dealing with this King, the way people defer to him really seems to get on his nerves that and the fact that he is screwing his woman behind his back without getting an invite.

It was on OK episode overall, moved the plot along, we finished things up with Jarl Borg, they have his widow and unborn child so maybe that keeps his people from taking any kind of revenge. Not sure what happens to his lands. Anyways it seems like we have that out of the way for now and next episode is back to Wessex and maybe a reunuion with Ragnar/Bjorn and Athelstan which should make for a better episode.

It's not only the King that screwed Sig, but his son.

And it would be awesome if Ragnar was feeding the gossip train. That fits in perfectly with him watching Sig tell the King that Floki is angry with Ragnar.

Can anyone tell me if the Seer's actually deformed their faces? Was it something that was actually done in order to see visions or something?

The raven was awesome :)

Earl Lagertha "Ingvard"! :commie: It will be great to see more of her.

Am I the only one who thinks Bjorn is a bit intrusive in regards to Porunn*? He just will not take "no" for an answer. I did not realise Ragnar or any of the characters we know might be her "boyfriend" - I assumed it was a random villager no. 56 - but regardless of who it is, Bjorn should realise he cannot make her like him. He apparently has the right to demand that she sleeps with him because uncle Rollo said so, but he seems to believe that if he annoys her long enough, she will take a romantic interest in him. And her body language pretty clearly says she is not interested in that.

*Is that really her name? I always hear it as "Thorin".

Besides, what exactly is Ragnar jealous about in Bjorn? He is still the great earl, famous for his raids in England and whatnot, and what has Bjorn achieved? I cannot see Ragnar as worrying about what may happen with Bjorn in the future and be jealous of him in advance.

To me, Floki's anger with Ragnar seemed quite real. I think he is jealous of his successes.

That blood eagle ... :ack: I can see why Borg's wife fainted and am quite glad they did not show more. *gives a sideeye to Theon/Ramsay scenes in GOT*

There was very little Athelstan in this one. Sad.

It was on OK episode overall, moved the plot along, we finished things up with Jarl Borg, they have his widow and unborn child so maybe that keeps his people from taking any kind of revenge. Not sure what happens to his lands. Anyways it seems like we have that out of the way for now and next episode is back to Wessex and maybe a reunuion with Ragnar/Bjorn and Athelstan which should make for a better episode.

Wait, so she is pregnant too? Is there any special meaning to three pregnant women in the show at the same time?

I don't know. its confusing because Borgs wife and Flokis wife look a lot alike, and now they are both pregnant on top of it, but I thought it was maybe relavent in terms of what happens to Borgs Jarldom, that Ragnar might control it by holding the widow and the infant child, I'm just not sure if Viking culture works that way.

I also suspect the problem Ragnar may be having with Bjorn has more to do with Porunn. I think Ragnar may be the "boyfriend", which he and Porunn keep quite because of Aslaug. I get the sense Porunn could be, or maybe even is, into Bjorn but as a slave she can't do or say anything since the Jarl has claimed her.

Agreed with this. As a meta reason: In the "Previously on the Vikings.." they included the scene where Bjorn asks "Do you have a boyfriend?" So the boyfriend must have made an appearance in this episode...

Also, Ragnar is not the type to be annoyed that his son is having sex with a slave. "You chose to be with her rather than me" makes no sense whatsoever.

The episode was weak MO. The blood eagle scene was very soft and not shocking at all. I was hoping to the last moment that Horik is the who dies. I liked Borg as a villain. Horik just pisses me off.

Also, not enough monk!

They were few things I liked though:

1. The wedding scenes. I liked the way they were shoot. The music was great.

2. The raven scene.

3. I like that king Aelle is back.

4. I was grinning at Lagertha/Ragnar reunion. It was sweet.

I thought that as well. Although on the other hand where would Bjorn get the drugs from?

I have a different take on this. Horik didn't look happy about the execution, I think he was outraced. He said that they were free to execute Borg when they had a new ally, and then Lagertha showed up and it all happened so fast. I don't think he counted on that.

Bolded, I suppose thats what made me think of Athelstans influence on him as a child, (the two cultures influenced each other), because I didn't think pity was a big thing with them.

That was my take as well. And wouldn't Borgs people have felt that it was Ragnar that first crossed their Jarl? But anyway, it did seem to me that the crowd was not having a good time.

He appears to. They still wanted the use of his warriors and ships and Horik was worried that Borgs execution would drive away any other alliances.

Agree about Athelstan's influence on Bjorn. I think Horik is more worried that Borg would be the type who would eventually turn on him, too. Too dangerous to keep around.

Earl Lagertha "Ingvard"! :commie: It will be great to see more of her.

Am I the only one who thinks Bjorn is a bit intrusive in regards to Porunn*? He just will not take "no" for an answer. I did not realise Ragnar or any of the characters we know might be her "boyfriend" - I assumed it was a random villager no. 56 - but regardless of who it is, Bjorn should realise he cannot make her like him. He apparently has the right to demand that she sleeps with him because uncle Rollo said so, but he seems to believe that if he annoys her long enough, she will take a romantic interest in him. And her body language pretty clearly says she is not interested in that.

No, I agree, Bjorn should back off. I think it's the Ragnar coming out in him, only he's young and has less subtlety.

Maybe 'Porunn' is meant to be spelled with that Old English letter that looks like a 'p' with a line across the top (pronounced 'thorn'). Possibly not quite the same as Anglo-Saxon, but I've also seen 'Lothbrok' spelled 'Lodbrok' in the legends, using the d with the little x on top (pronounced 'eth'), so am guessing that's it. Spelled with p, sounds like the th in 'thorn.'

Lagertha might look more like Laegertha (a and e run together), which is what I expected to see for the spelling from the sound?

No, I agree, Bjorn should back off. I think it's the Ragnar coming out in him, only he's young and has less subtlety.

Maybe 'Porunn' is meant to be spelled with that Old English letter that looks like a 'p' with a line across the top (pronounced 'thorn'). Possibly not quite the same as Anglo-Saxon, but I've also seen 'Lothbrok' spelled 'Lodbrok' in the legends, using the d with the little x on top (pronounced 'eth'), so am guessing that's it. Spelled with p, sounds like the th in 'thorn.'

Lagertha might look more like Laegertha (a and e run together), which is what I expected to see for the spelling from the sound?

Oh, good point about Bjorn being like daddy when it comes to that. I really hope he either meets another love interest that will take his mind of her and will return the feelings. Or that he simply realises that this is not the way to go.

And yes, that is probably it with the spelling! I should have remembered more from my German historical grammar class, that one had this sign too. :P

They usually pronounce Lagertha as "Laaaaaaagertha", so I think the spelling we usually use in this thread is okay.

Oh, good point about Bjorn being like daddy when it comes to that. I really hope he either meets another love interest that will take his mind of her and will return the feelings. Or that he simply realises that this is not the way to go.

And yes, that is probably it with the spelling! I should have remembered more from my German historical grammar class, that one had this sign too. :P

They usually pronounce Lagertha as "Laaaaaaagertha", so I think the spelling we usually use in this thread is okay.

Yeah, you're right about her name. I mean, who could forget historical German grammar and Old English??? :lol:

I have to say, Jarl Borg took it like a boss, he deserves Valhalla after that shit.

Agreed.

ETA: I bet King Horik is wealthy enough to pay the blood price and settle the feud. If Borg's relations would accept it.

Hey bby. I think its actually supposed to be spelled þorunn. That P looking thing is pronounced with a th sound. So it sounds like "Thorun".

So the blood eagle was an actual event in the sagas; rather than a History Channel invention? Interesting.

*busts out in full guffaw* Here~

The scene where Ragnar was standing back watching everything, so we know he's paying attention, showed Ragnar also 'pay attention' to Bjorn talking with Porunn and Ragnar really focused on Bjorn grabbing Porunn's arm. I don't see why they would show that Ragnar would care about his son trying to fuck a slave girl during that scene of intrigues without something more to it. But again maybe I have the wrong impression.

And... not only loving Jarl Lagertha :commie: but it's great to know we will see her more often again!!!

Interesting theory about Borg. Its possible but where would Bjorn get the goods so to speak? I kinda prefer Borg just being badass enough to take it like a bawss and not yell. The idea of Bjorn drugging him so Ragnar wouldnt have the satisfaction of Borg's screams and thus his fate to Hel's Hall is cool and all but im skeptical.

I forgot all about þorunn's secret boyfriend. Its possible. We shall see. If this is a thing, Ragnar's a huge dickhammer. Just saiyan.

Jarl Lagertha. Everyone roots for it, cuz its that awesome. :commie:

Interesting to see Ragnar with a snake, considering his fate in the legend.

I do like the little symbols/visions that keep appearing, almost making this a fantasy series, like the raven coming to Athelstan. Very ASoIaF-like.

Yeah. I love it lots cuz if you know your mythology, its just great stuff. I love it when Seer starts in about the gods and the stories. <3

I think with Flokki, he symbolizes some of the feelings that people are starting to have about Ragnar and the corruption that power brings

I like this. Lets roll with it.

*busts out in full guffaw* Here~

Reading that again, I forgot King of Northumbria died that way, poor fat bastard, the your future is not kind.

I thought when the brought in Ludwig, that he carried that cocky/chip on the shoulder/condescending part really well, but Bjorn seemed to have lost a bit of that last couple of ep.

I think that Floki is just being Floki. He kind of acted the same way last year, when Ragnar came back for the boat. Sill don't that Gustaf looks anything like Stellen, Alexander or even Bill.

I don't know. its confusing because Borgs wife and Flokis wife look a lot alike, and now they are both pregnant on top of it, but I thought it was maybe relavent in terms of what happens to Borgs Jarldom, that Ragnar might control it by holding the widow and the infant child, I'm just not sure if Viking culture works that way.

I think the actresses are actually sisters.

Also, the drunken scene with Ragnar and Torstein was awesome.

Archived