Game of Thrones Smashes Ratings Record

Westeros

EW has the scoop as always: last night’s premiere airing of “Two Swords” reached the 6.6 million mark, and with repeat airings moved up to 8.2 million. That’s an amazing feat, a rise of over 20% from last year’s 6th episode.

Quite the climb for the show, and it seems quite likely that it could well continue to climb as it proceeds this year.

Visit the Site!

Going from the other three series we'll probably see a small decrease next week but then a continual rise throughout the series.

Anyone know how many HBO subscribers there are? I suppose with a subscription channel your capped at what you can get but I'd be fairly postive of reaching between 7.5 and 8.0 towards the end.

Anyone know how many HBO subscribers there are? I suppose with a subscription channel your capped at what you can get but I'd be fairly postive of reaching between 7.5 and 8.0 towards the end.

HBO is , well oddly, secretive about numbers, which they know.

They apparently release some info to Zap2it and their TV by the Numbers, and maybe to other sources.

(I am sure Time-Warner's corporate office get the straight skinny.)

Seems I have seen numbers for the USA , but for North America it seems a mystery, seems Canada would be known, I don't know how HBO is distributed in Mexico.

We have gotten view numbers for England (not subscribers), don't think we have seen them this time yet.

As for Western Europe , HBO has supposedly improved their foreign distribution but no numbers given that I know of.

(Does Germany still have to wait for 6 months?)

For instance, what the heck were this years DVD sales, it maybe be somewhere, but even the USA numbers seem obscure.

World Wide , we never find out about viewings and DVD sales, that I know of.

Except how much pirating goes on in Australia!

HBO is , well oddly, secretive about numbers, which they know.

They apparently release some info to Zap2it and their TV by the Numbers, and maybe to other sources.

(I am sure Time-Warner's corporate office get the straight skinny.)

Seems I have seen numbers for the USA , but for North America it seems a mystery, seems Canada would be known, I don't know how HBO is distributed in Mexico.

We have gotten view numbers for England (not subscribers), don't think we have seen them this time yet.

As far Western Europe , HBO has supposedly improved their foreign distribution but no numbers given that I know of.

For instance, what the heck were this years DVD sales, it maybe be somewhere, but even the USA numbers seem obscure.

World Wide , we never find out about viewings and DVD sales, that I know of.

Except how much pirating goes on in Australia!

Have you looked into this website: http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/r2013.php ?

There is also a similar page for Blu-Ray sales. I don't know if that is global or national, or if it is even accurate though.

Have you looked into this website: http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/r2013.php ?

There is also a similar page for Blu-Ray sales. I don't know if that is global or national, or if it is even accurate though.

That is only for 2013 sales.

...and it seems only for the USA.

There is also a disclaimer at the bottom that it's only an estimate from incomplete information.

I think that 2013 number for GOT is only for the first week it was on sale in 2013.

There is also a listing here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2014/03/13/home-video-charts-hunger-games-sequel-fires-up.html?page=all

Not a bad ranking, I think those are only USA numbers.

As an aside: I notice Ender's Game which bombed at the box office here, has done well in DVD sales.

Given HBOGO's issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see live viewership to rise (along with torrents) for next week's episode, even though the premiere usually does better than episode 2's.

Over at WIC last week was a chart comparing four HBO shows on a ratings chart (I noticed The Sopranos was not on it).

On Wiki is an chart showing three seasons worth of ratings.

I am still puzzled by the S2E9 (Blackwater) dip, which is there because that day was a USA holiday.

Word of mouth about Blackwater must have corrected that dip but it has never made it to the chart.

As for Western Europe , HBO has supposedly improved their foreign distribution but no numbers given that I know of.

Nah. The Original Version can be watched on skygo one day after the HBO Premiere(s). But it takes about two months till the dubbed version premieres.

You know, I used to think that too, and then I realized that with HBO GO, that isn't really true. People share their passwords all the time, so the possible viewership is probably a lot higher than the number of subscribers. I'm guessing HBO sized HBO GO capacity relative to their subscriber base, and the reason it has been crashing lately (first for True Detective, now for GoT) is because there are a lot of party crashers streaming with their friends/relatives passwords.

I'm a little surprised HBO hasn't instituted some sort of single sign-on restriction. But even then, someone could be watching on their cable and share their HBO GO with someone, and I don't really think there's a technical way to stop that. So maybe they just enjoy the ratings and attention and beef up the service a bit more instead.

Over at WIC last week was a chart comparing four HBO shows on a ratings chart (I noticed The Sopranos was not on it).

The WiC chart is trying to compare apples to apples. But we don't have such numbers for The Sopranos, as Nielsons didn't count cable properly until something like Season 5(?) of that show. (They previously counted any view of any HBO channel as being a single thing).

DVD/BluRay sales historically seem to be obscured for some reason. In game sales, for example, they are cited as 'shipped' rather than 'sold' for whatever reason and there never seem to be firm numbers given.

The NPD group, who track game sales in North America, produce estimates of games that are sold, not shipped. Shipped numbers typically come directly from a publisher who wants to inflate the impression of how well their game is doing. But we, Joe Public, rarely see the numbers they produce, unless someone wants to separately release them (when they are favorable). They track about 2/3rds of the market, and estimate the rest.

The big issue with NPD is they don't track digital sales, which are becoming very significant. I've heard rumblings they are trying to rectify that, but that gets a little weird since the supplier of the data would have to be the 1st party publisher, as there is no retailer involved.

Is there something wrong with my reading comprehension here? It says that last season's high was 5.5 million, but then goes on to say that the AVERAGE was 14.4 million. How is the average higher than the peak?

That figure is total viewership for the week across all platforms. Wereas 5.5 is Live+SD viewership. When they compare with The Sopranos' numbers, the 14.4 million figure is the one they use to compare to its equivalent for the other show.

Archived