[Book Spoilers] Brienne and the Stark girls

Fool of a Book

Aside from the other aspects of the story that might change because of Jaime and Brienne's early arrival in KL, I had a huge issue with Brienne's lecture to Jaime. IMO this is the biggest show v. book change that caused the most problems.

Brienne was sworn with finding CS's girls, along with Jaime. Yet, she doesn't introduce herself to Sansa? Tell Sansa she was sworn to her mother, and will swear herself to Sansa's protection now and try to find Arya? She could easily have done this without giving Jaime a hard time.

Sorry, I found it really out of character for Brienne to dress down Jaime, while she herself was the one sworn to Cat.

Maybe we'll see something in a future episode, but the Brienne I know would have sought out Sansa immediately and shared her story. I'm sure Sansa would LOVE to know how much her mother risked to try and save her.

She would have had some joy that Sansa was safe and alive, and shed a tear with Sansa over Cat's death. The Brienne I know would have sworn herself to Lady Sansa and not left her side.

Instead, she sought out Marg, to swear vengeance against Stannis re: Renly? Come on Brienne, Arya is still missing, and your oath to Cat still isn't over. She swore no oath to avenge Renly. That scene was pretty much useless.

... and all this is probably why GRRM didn't have her arrive earlier in KL.

Her interaction with Jaime just seemed like plot-filler for me to excuse Jaime's non-actions. But to make Brienne act out of character just because they changed the timing of some events of the plot really rubbed me the wrong way.

Took a while for moderation to release this for posting, but nice to see it posted (thank you mods).

There of course is another episode since I wrote this, and my opinions haven't changed because Brienne still paid no attention or homage or respects to Sansa.

Took a while for moderation to release this for posting, but nice to see it posted (thank you mods).

There of course is another episode since I wrote this, and my opinions haven't changed because Brienne still paid no attention or homage or respects to Sansa.

Someone pointed out in another thread that one of the big issues they had was that Brienne has now pretty much had conversations with pretty much everyone in KL - except the two people who were most important: Sansa and Loras. I love Brienne and quite liked here moment with Cersei, but when she walks up to the high table at the wedding - well, that just stuck out like a sore thumb that it shouldn't be there.

Someone pointed out in another thread that one of the big issues they had was that Brienne has now pretty much had conversations with pretty much everyone in KL - except the two people who were most important: Sansa and Loras. I love Brienne and quite liked here moment with Cersei, but when she walks up to the high table at the wedding - well, that just stuck out like a sore thumb that it shouldn't be there.

It's entirely appropriate that Lady Brienne, as the apparent representative of her Lord Father, approach the dais and pay homage to the King (likely House Tarth has yet to do so in person) and new Queen. She knows her duty and would do it.

It also seems very likely to me that Jaime would have recounted the events since he was captured and that Brienne was sworn to return Sansa to Catelyn would be a key detail in that story...safe to say Tywin would not let her contact super-valuable Sansa Lannister, heir to Winterfell, and carry her off.

It's entirely appropriate that Lady Brienne, as the apparent representative of her Lord Father, approach the dais and pay homage to the King (likely House Tarth has yet to do so in person) and new Queen. She knows her duty and would do it.

It also seems very likely to me that Jaime would have recounted the events since he was captured and that Brienne was sworn to return Sansa to Catelyn would be a key detail in that story...safe to say Tywin would not let her contact super-valuable Sansa Lannister, heir to Winterfell, and carry her off.

It would be even more appropriate if the representative of the Lord Paramount of Dorne approached the High Table ahead of a lesser lordship like Tarth. The fact that Tarth was the only one to do it is why the scene stood out like a sore thumb.

It would be even more appropriate if the representative of the Lord Paramount of Dorne approached the High Table ahead of a lesser lordship like Tarth. The fact that Tarth was the only one to do it is why the scene stood out like a sore thumb.

Excellent point.

Well, that was the problem. Having Brienne arrive *early* in KL and just hang around (ostensibly just for face-time for the actress) created a lot of issues and questions, and did NOT serve her character well.... or anyone else's for that matter.

ETA early

Brienne and Jaime's reaction to Sansa does a disservice to both characters. Brienne should have at the least attempted to swear herself to Sansa. Jaime might have decided that Sansa was safest in KL, but he should have discussed both this and his oaths with Tyrion or Sansa.

Instead of this we get to see Brienne wander around the capital, talking to all the Tyrells except the one she needed to. All of whom seem to love her for absolutely no reason beside allowing Olenna to make fun of her male relations, again.

Archived