Daenerys gets a hard time

TheWitch

Just what to point out that if you don't like Dany its cool an I respect your opinion, but I love her and feel the need to defend her :)

Firstly, the most common issue people have with her is that she is a dreadful ruler, which I don;t think is fair. Dany has a big sense of duty. Yes, she goes on about her right to the throne a lot but she also talk about how its her duty to serve her people a lot too. Thats a fundamental aspect to being a good ruler. Shes stays in Meereen because she feels that she has to help the people she freed, that's its her duty.

Things in Meereen didn't go to plan and Dany did mess up a lot but what can you expect? Shes only 16 and its an awful lot of pressure to have on her shoulders. Dany is also in a culture that she doesn't fully understand and although it may have messed things up for her abolishing slavery was the right thing to do. Shes also sourended by advisers who don't have the experience or have agendas that are against her.

In regards to Danys ego, of course she has a big ego. She hatched dragons, conquered a ton of cities, wouldn't you be a little full of yourself? But that's why GRRM wrote DWD to be a diffcult time for her in order to bring her back down to earth to realize whats important. Dany was on a high for most of the series its only good storytelling to bring her down for a bit.

Also I really don't think Dany will go crazy. I think all Targaryens have a touch of ruthlessness but I really doubt shell go the same way as Aerys or Viserys, that would be really cliche and boring.

I just love Dany, I think shes an amazing and thought out character who gets a hard time for having a few dull chapters. DWD for me was less about action with Dany like the other books, but more reflective and to understand her more.

In the next two books, I suspect Dany will take westeros and find a way to connect with Dragons and control them and lead the fight against the others. Maybe shell die, I don't know but it will be interesting!

She hatched dragons, conquered a ton of cities, wouldn't you be a little full of yourself

She gave birth to 3 dragons, and she conquered 3 cities. her staying in Meereen was dumb, the removal of the slave trade was dumb, because Qarth, New Ghis, Volantis, Braavos, all the old world is in chaos without the slave trade. The Yunkish want her head and where really close if she hadn't flown off on Drogon. She needs to return to Meereen, win the battle, and leave this shitty part of the world for Asshai. If she can pass through the shadows of Asshai she can return to Westeros and claim the throne. She would be a better character if her decisions weren't heavily influenced by her wanting to be a Queen. Instead of burning Meereen to the ground, which would have been a waaaaaay better choice than staying and ruling, she sits down in a land she doesn't understand and tries to rule those who don't need a new rule.

How would it be cliche or boring for the good guy to turn into the villian? Sure it's a bit of a trope, but a recent one. You have to remember these books were being written before the PT of Star Wars was at

I still think dany is going full blown mad; her close attention to Quaithe's vague prophecies is very disconcerting to me, and I don't see how Quaithe is trustworthy in the least with her cryptic messages that have done nothing but confuse Dany so far. She is far too trusting of someone who can appear out of NOWHERE and who no one else is able to see anymore except for Dany.

What's clear is that Westeros doesn't NEED Dany the way Dany needs the Iron Throne.

She gave birth to 3 dragons, and she conquered 3 cities. her staying in Meereen was dumb, the removal of the slave trade was dumb, because Qarth, New Ghis, Volantis, Braavos, all the old world is in chaos without the slave trade. The Yunkish want her head and where really close if she hadn't flown off on Drogon. She needs to return to Meereen, win the battle, and leave this shitty part of the world for Asshai. If she can pass through the shadows of Asshai she can return to Westeros and claim the throne. She would be a better character if her decisions weren't heavily influenced by her wanting to be a Queen. Instead of burning Meereen to the ground, which would have been a waaaaaay better choice than staying and ruling, she sits down in a land she doesn't understand and tries to rule those who don't need a new rule.

You do realize you can't just go through Asshai right?

GRRM has said in interviews when talking about the size of the planet that there's an equivalent of the Americas over there somewhere. The Planet is HUGE and doesn't just wrap around that fast.

i agree with you on some of what you said but robb stark was only 16 and he made plenty of dumb decisions but doesn't get a pass bc he was young and naive. i think she decided to stay and rule meereen so she could gain experience in ruling and bring peace to slaver's bay before leaving for westeros. like you said her chapters in dance were boring but i expect big things from her to come in the next two books.

You do realize you can't just go through Asshai right?

GRRM has said in interviews when talking about the size of the planet that there's an equivalent of the Americas over there somewhere. The Planet is HUGE and doesn't just wrap around that fast.

Okay but she won't go back the way she came. Thats not the way of the Dragon

I accept that slavers bay obviously rely on slaves, but I personally support Dany for ending slavery. Just because a culture relys on slavery doesn't mean it's right.

But you cant come in and end it without an alternate way to live.

Their entire culture is based on Slave Trade. You take that away and they die - and thats precisely what they were doing.

I dont think Slave Trade is morally right either, but if the other option is your entire city collapses and dies, what road do you take?

Archived