The Citadel stuff - what's up with it?

I read the last couple of books a while ago so forgive me for not being precise and giving references, but while thinking about ASOIAF again after this excellent 4.1 of the tv show, I remembered a topic I was intrigued about that I haven't seen a thread on (again please forgive if I've missed it).

There seems to be something brewing around the stuff around the Citadel. What's up with that? Some kind of incipient technology thing is going on, or maybe reference to lost technology, or some form of lost magic?

There seems to be some ancient emnity between the Maesters and another of the major moving and shaking groups (can't remember - was it one of the more Eastern groupings)? How is that going to play into the main story?

I think GRRM has introduced a few sub-threads that, I think given the fact there's only 2 books to go, will have to be tied up pretty quickly, which leads me to surmise that these mysterious danglers are all interlinked in some way and will be resolved as one, and probably in tandem with revelations about the origins of the whole seasonal cycle and possibly even the cause of the Doom of Valyria, which seems to be tugging gently to be noticed throughout the books. These three I think are of particular interest and seem likely to be tied in some way:-

1) Dany and Quaithe and Asshai

2) Arya and the Faceless Men and their origins and their motivations for allowing Arya, who's obviously not going to be wholly a devoted FM, but is keeping some part of herself independent, to be trained despite her reserving part of herself.

3) the Maesters, their enemy, and the technology thing.

Here's a punt: the Doom of Valyria was caused by an accident with the development of technology (like some myths about Atlantis). Some kind of magical thing was done to prevent something like that happening again (and Maesters are in charge of guarding against that), but it also went wrong and led to the Summer/Winter cycle, and this fact is a "dirty secret" those responsible don't want everyone to know about.

Iv always felt the doom was caused by the early FM

They talk of helping the slaves rise up from down in the active volcanic mines, we know they began a secret assasination campaign agaisnt them

They know of potions that can drive animals mad and we know there were fire wyrms down in the depths that could tunnel through rock .....i think they combined the 2 somehow and the wyrms brought the whole thing down in an unknowing frenzy....meanwhile the slaves were already on their way to what would become braavos

Maester Marwyn has been tinkering around since the very first book, and his name has been dropped numerous times

1. He was the one who taught Mirri Maz Duur the healing arts of Westeros, mentioned in the first book

2. Qyburn says he was the only maester who wasn't an idiot, which doesn't really bode well for us liking Marwyn lol

And there are a few others as well but I can't call them off the top of my head.

Yes, there is something big going on. The Maesters have had their hands in numerous events throughout the centuries it seems, and almost certainly had a part to play in the death of the dragons.

• 2 weeks later...

The ideas being punted, the certainties being claimed here...well, this is Martins world and nothing is certain or permanent. I do agree that the Maesters will be connected, but like people-some are good and some are evil. And magic started to return in intensity with the birth of Danys dragons although clearly some magic was present even before that.

Maester Marwyn has been tinkering around since the very first book, and his name has been dropped numerous times

1. He was the one who taught Mirri Maz Duur the healing arts of Westeros, mentioned in the first book

2. Qyburn says he was the only maester who wasn't an idiot, which doesn't really bode well for us liking Marwyn lol

And there are a few others as well but I can't call them off the top of my head.

Yes, there is something big going on. The Maesters have had their hands in numerous events throughout the centuries it seems, and almost certainly had a part to play in the death of the dragons.

I missed both of these things. Cool. Want to know more now.

But the world the Maesters wanted didn't have White Walkers in it, who have thus far been spectacularly poor as bad guys, granted. I really hope the White Walkers make it to the Citadel so the Maesters can rue their part in taking down the Targs.

Yet, it was the FM that killed Valyria, at least that is strongly hinted at by the KOM.

Marwyn just seems open to all of the stuff, I don't recall Qyburn saying that Marywn supported him only that Marwyn didn't think his ideas were crazy.

Archived