Are you a Green or are you a black?

TheWitch

We actually don't know how the line of succession was handled pre-a dance with dragons. It was changed to put all men in front of women after the dance but we don't know how it was set up before. It could have easily been oldest child inherits or previous king chooses an heir, etc.

I would guess that it was a straightforward "oldest child inherits" rule based on the fact that Aegon I was regarded as the "head of House Targaryen" over his sisters Rhaenys and Visenya when all three were capable of heading the "House." Aegon seems to have gotten the "Head of House" job due to being firstborn legitimate Targ in that sibling group, so he went on to become the monarch when the Targs conquered Westeros. Rhaenyra's father intended for her to inherit and doesn't seem to have ever entertained the idea that she wouldn't do so, or he'd have made it abundantly clear to his second wife that her kids would inherit only after Rhaenyra, period, something he failed to do.

I think it's important to note that when Rhaenyra was named heir, Viserys didn't have sons or grandsons. And the throne was expected to pass to Daemon. Now I'm not saying it was the Greens idea to make Rhaenyra Queen in the first place but it was totally the Greens idea to make Rhaenyra Queen in the first place.

Viserys did have plenty of opportunity to change his mind, though. Aegon was hardly a newborn. Had Rhaenyra been present in King's Landing, the crown would likely have passed to her without quarrel. The only reason it was even disputed was Criston Cole's being bitter and spiteful; it doesn't even seem to have occurred to Aegon that he had a valid claim until it was suggested to him.

Viserys did have plenty of opportunity to change his mind, though. Aegon was hardly a newborn. Had Rhaenyra been present in King's Landing, the crown would likely have passed to her without quarrel. The only reason it was even disputed was Criston Cole's being bitter and spiteful; it doesn't even seem to have occurred to Aegon that he had a valid claim until it was suggested to him.

Ran wrote that the story of Aegon being clueless and unwilling to be king came from Septon Eustace - the very same one who crowned him and claimed he saw the IT cutting Rhaenyra although she was wearing an armour. The IT couldn't possibly cut her and the septon couldn't possibly see the blood.

His claims should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

Viserys did have opportunities to change his mind though. Evrn after Alicent's persistent nagging, he wouldnt change it so Aegon was his heir.

Also, totally agree about Aegon's "reluctance". This Septon Eustace was obviously a Green supporter (remember he crowned Aegon too)

I think it's important to note that when Rhaenyra was named heir, Viserys didn't have sons or grandsons. And the throne was expected to pass to Daemon. Now I'm not saying it was the Greens idea to make Rhaenyra Queen in the first place but it was totally the Greens idea to make Rhaenyra Queen in the first place.

No. He made the lords swear fealty to the child Rhaenyra as his heiress. Daemon was not considered the heir. That was Rhaenyra. And she remained the heiress when Aegon was born, when Aemond was born, when Daeron was born and in the fifteen years after. She remained the heiress after Aegon fathered sons. The throne was reserved for Rhaenyra despite Viserys having a brother, before he remarried, and later, despite Viserys having sons and grandsons.

No, he was second child, Visenya was two years older.

Really? I did not know this. Source?

If true it does change things a bit -- makes me wonder why Aegon would be the head of House Targaryen pre-conquest then, if they were okay with women being in charge? Was it because he had the biggest and strongest dragon or something? Or did Visenya let him lead the Targaryen forces because they figured the Westerosi would not take them seriously with a woman in charge? (But Nymeria's success would seem to be a counterexample.)

If Aegon wasn't actually the oldest, why didn't Visenya take the lead in the Conquest? (Maybe she didn't actually want to conquer Westeros or something? But then why would she even help then?)

Really? I did not know this. Source?

I don't have source for this, might be something George said in a reading, or from the app... I've seen it mentioned a few times during these Targaryen family tree discussions, and since no one else found it odd I took it to be true. Though it's true a formal source would be better.

As to why Aegon I ruled, my personal wage is that he wanted to blend in to the andal population. Afterall he did go to Oldtown to be blessed by the High Septon.

I don't have source for this, might be something George said in a reading, or from the app... I've seen it mentioned a few times during these Targaryen family tree discussions, and since no one else found it odd I took it to be true. Though it's true a formal source would be better.

As to why Aegon I ruled, my personal wage is that he wanted to blend in to the andal population. Afterall he did go to Oldtown to be blessed by the High Septon.

It was probably a World reading, although I don't have the link to that. I think its in the Citadel somewhere though. If not there it will be in the app i imagine

I'm a black supporter as well. Viserys I was an idiot for not cementing his daughters claim, but all in all she was the heir. I wasn't impressed wither nor with Daemon "Kris Kross will make ya dragonjump" Targaryen, but Jaecarys Velaryon was truly Kingly Material. A shame he died. Furthermore their camp included Rhaenys, Corlys, the Hull brothers (Adam and Alyn) and of course the later Viserys II. That are 6 people who would have made great Kings.

The Greens on the other hand only had Daeron the Daring.

I'm a black supporter as well. Viserys I was an idiot for not cementing his daughters claim, but all in all she was the heir. I wasn't impressed wither nor with Daemon "Kris Kross will make ya dragonjump" Targaryen, but Jaecarys Velaryon was truly Kingly Material. A shame he died. Furthermore their camp included Rhaenys, Corlys, the Hull brothers (Adam and Alyn) and of course the later Viserys II. That are 6 people who would have made great Kings.

I liked young Joffrey from the Greens as well. he seemed like a good brave boy.

Truth be told, I wonder whether Viserys had been in command of all his faculties for a while before he died. I mean, in the beginning he was clearly everything but a fool and certainly not reckless enough to leave anything to chance - he prevailed over Rhaenys, then he united their lines, he made all he could to make sure that Rhaenyra's claim was the valid one and then he went poof! - and let Alicent and her clique wield such a great influence and twist things all around? I cannot find a single valid reason for him to allow that. My explanation is that he was not aware it was happening.

Archived